Thread: "Like" button, not working?

Basic Member

"Like" button, not working?

Is it me or the new changes?
    The like/thanks buttons seem to be inoperative.
    Thanks,
    Randy

Looking into it - likely a setting with the firewall.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

While I'm thinking about it....

I know everyone likes the Like/Thanks mod, but having it installed has a big negative effect on the site as well. If you have tried to look at any users previous forum posts by clicking on their username and selecting "View Forum Posts" or by doing a search for posts by a specific user, you've likely noticed that the content of the results comes back saying -=Hidden Content=- like this:

hiddencontent.jpg

This is a caused by the Likes/Thanks plugin and I haven't been able to find a work-around for it.

Personally I think being able to search and see the post content is much more important/useful than the Likes/Thanks system, but I also know I'd probably catch hell from some if I just up and removed the Likes/Thanks plugin.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    While I'm thinking about it....

I know everyone likes the Like/Thanks mod, but having it installed has a big negative effect on the site as well. If you have tried to look at any users previous forum posts by clicking on their username and selecting "View Forum Posts" or by doing a search for posts by a specific user, you've likely noticed that the content of the results comes back saying -=Hidden Content=- like this:

hiddencontent.jpg

This is a caused by the Likes/Thanks plugin and I haven't been able to find a work-around for it.

Personally I think being able to search and see the post content is much more important/useful than the Likes/Thanks system, but I also know I'd probably catch hell from some if I just up and removed the Likes/Thanks plugin.
    Thanks for the heads up,
    Toss up, searches all important also. I'm confident it will get all resolved sooner or later.
    Thanks again,
    Randy

Tough one. The likes have many roles and adds a dynamic to members relationships.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Well, if I can't figure out how to get them working again it might be an easy decision to make. Tried all the settings I thought it might be with no luck, and since it's software related I can't call the hosting tech's for help on it. Got an email out to the maker of the mod, so we'll see what they have to say.

Thanks for the effort Jim. We appreciate all you do.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Thanks for the effort Jim. We appreciate all you do.
    "LIKE" and echo the sentiment.

Still haven't heard back from the mod's developer on this. CFJunkie noted that it's working in MS Edge browser, but not in FireFox. I myself can't get it to work with both the FireFox or Chrome browsers.

For this reason I'm going to disable app until I can get some answers one what needs to be done to get it working properly across all browsers.

Edit: Well, apparently if I disable the app it completely breaks the "View Forum Posts" search option and just spits out a bunch of error messages on the page that loads.

With that in mind I just uninstalled the mod to see if that would "fix" the search issue. NOPE! Reinstalled the mod thinking maybe - just maybe - one of the files got corrupted during the move, but apparently not. However, now the buttons to thank/like aren't even showing.

At this point I'm done with this stupid mod as I've wasted 4-5 days trying to get it sorted out and I'm totally fed up and out of patience with it. Yet the icing on the cake is now I have to figure out how the hell to fix the search function once it's removed.

This is exactly why I don't run a many mods on this site. They're all written by different people and work in different ways and you never know what they will be compatible with and what they won't. Installing one might cause issues with another, etc. More headache than they're worth!

Thanks for the effort Jim. Sad though. It was one of the best mods we had.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    thanks for the effort jim. Sad though. It was one of the best mods we had.
    ^^^^^

Basic Member
    I guess I am on the other side of things. I honestly did not care for or use the "like" buttons. I feel like they were a little redundant on a forum. It is just as easy to simply post up a reply with a thanks in it, or that you liked their post or picture.
    I feel like a actual typed out response is more sincere than a button to "say it for you".
    Just my two cents.
    I do appreciate all the work you do to keep this place going and understand the frustrations that come with it.