Thread: Fun with an Axis .223

Basic Member

Fun with an Axis .223

As you can see, new to the board and new to CF rifles. I bought an Axis while the rebates were in effect. Sub MOA with my 50 and 55gr FB hand loads and pretty close with Win 55FMJ. easy to bang 14"x16" steel at 300. I did a little basic trigger work (not an accu-trigger) to get the trigger to a safe 1.5lbs. I'll get serious about it when I get home. Left Phx shortly after to work the summer season in the Dakotas. I ordered up an SWFA 12x42 with the Mil-Quad reticle (works with Strelok), yeah, I know...fixed power!! BUT...with 40 MOA vert and horz adjustment, since I plan to take a rifle course that goes out to 550yd when I get home. I'm very happy with it and may look at a 20x42 with an angled mount. Then I ordered up a blue Boyds AT One Thumbhole. Some slight grinding on the mag opening an it fit fine. After I started to remember to put my thumb in the hole, I found the stock to be very comfortable. The instructions say the adjustment buttons may be stiff. The butt button (too easy, don't say a thing, just let it go) had to be pushed with the stock lying on it's side using, in my case, a screwdriver handle to push. The cheek pad button is much easier. I don't have a photo source, so no pics, but Boyds has plenty. I didn't bring many handloads with me so I've been shooting Fiocchi 62gr ($44 per 100) at 100 and 250 off a bench with a $15 bi-pod and a bag. I'm getting more consistent 1/2 to 3/4 groups without fliers now and a 4" disc at 250 (range max) is no problem. Keep in mind, I'm new at this, so I'm happy, so far. I'm still working on the scope position, but it's close. Sorry to get long winded, but I wanted to say a few words about the SWFA and the Boyds stock. The SWFA seems to be known for a tight eye relief, but I find with the adjustable stock, it puts me right in position every time. I had a cheap Chinese 6-24x50 on, to try the rifle before spending more on it, and the difference in clarity and brightness, at the same magnification, is surprising. No, it's not a high end scope, nor is it for everybody, but for the price, and the build quality, it works for me target shooting. I'm looking forward to taking the combo out to 500+ when I get to my home range in AZ. I 'may' look for a 'take off' 26" HB next to add weight and control temps a bit. As a PS, this level of accuracy out of an essentially, out of the box $200 rifle, what else can be said? Go Savage!! I might add a shout out to the goods folks at Personal Defense Center in Bismarck for their help. A really nice LGS with a small indoor range and with good prices. Thanks Nick!!

Basic Member
    Welcome to the 'club'. :)

My 'addiction', especially with my .223 Axis, is shooting at soda cans (yes, full ones, they 'explode' nicely when hit :) ) at 300-600yds. At 300 I can hit 10 of 10 starting with the very first shot of the day. At 600yd it usually takes one or two shots to dope the wind before I hit one. If you plan on longer ranges a lot then go to the 69gn match bullets. There was very little difference for me between the Nosler and Sierra match bullets. I did try a box of the Hornady's and they were right in there too. I have also been happy with the 77gn Sierra's.

You are also doing better than mine did. Mine took over 200rounds before it became an MOA rifle and well over 500 before it would do 1/2 MOA on a regular basis. Mine is a heavy barrel and loves to be shot when the barrel is hot.

Fun with an Axis .223

I like to post this picture. Sorry for the repeat for others, it’s the only picture I have.
    .223 model 10
    SWFA 12x
    600yds on a rest it’s a 4-6” gun.
    Notice the scope is mounted high so I could move the eye relief to me.
    Notice the rear bag/ cheek weld.
    The rifle has a few at home shop mods.
    I was lucky and coached by a SEAL buddy how to quickly dial and set up the rifle for .223 long range.
    Get you a dope chart. A real in the field dope data.
    The 77gn smk will get you there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I did load a box of the Hornady 68/9? HPBT, but wasn't able to put them on paper past 200. I've got 2-3 months more working before I can get home to my bench. I will definately be looking at doing more heavy bullets for out past 300. I feel the rifle is up to the task, but I need to learn more. Some SMKs, maybe even some 73s and some Bergers, tho the price upsets my frugal nature. I'm torn 'tween the 26" HB and the stock 22" 'pencil' barrel. I like the idea of the extra weight and a few more FPS, but a couple of articles, involving cutting down barrels, seem to indicate 22"ish as the accuracy point. Does the extra barrel length give a heavier bullet, like the 75s or 77s, a little more time to spin up with the same 1-9 twist? As I said, I'm still in my infancy in shooting past 100, but I haven't seen any BR or long distance shooters with short barrels in the reading (Accurateshooter, for one) I have done and am still doing. I'm a regular YT marksman too! It's an interesting change from the action pistol I've been doing for the last few years. I feel that I have gone about as far as I can there so I will be concentrating more on the rifle now. It's a simple thing, but hitting that 4" disc at 250 the first time was a bit of a thrill. Being semi-retired, I don't have the cash for a custom, or even a high end Savage, rifle, so it will be interesting seeing what the Axis, and I, are capable of. If it would stop raining here in ND, I'd go out and shoot more!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post

I like to post this picture. Sorry for the repeat for other. But it’s the only picture I have.
    .223 model 10
    SWFA 12x
    600yds on a rest it’s a 4-6” gun.
    Notice the scope is mounted high so I could move the eye relief to me.
    Notice the rear bag/ cheek weld.
    The rifle has a few at home shop mods.
    I was lucky and coached by a SEAL buddy how to quickly dial and set up the rifle for .223 long range.
    Get you a dope chart. A real in the field dope data.
    The 77gn smk will get you there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Anther vote for 77s! The advice that 73ish is the max for 1-9 may need to be re-evaluated! I wanted to get the changes done before taking notes, but now that the rifle is 'finished', as if, I'll start that chart. My oldest is a master pistol instructor with a bunch of rifle certs, but he's about 1500 mis away! Plus, even when I get home, he just opened a business, and has no free time, so it will be classes for me. Fortunately for me, through him, and the LGS he worked for, I have access to an excellent teacher. Hope I can get to the next level at 500+ later this year. The range where I'm a member goes to 550. I'll be spending some time there this winter.

Basic Member
    My Axis HB in .223 is 22". I have not shot 77SMK's to 600 and beyond yet, but, at 400 they shoot into a 3" circle. And, yes, make a dope card for whatever load you end up with. I would hazard a guess that the group size will open up when the bullet goes subsonic, but, that is just a guess.

If you aren't sure the SMK's are for you I have had decent luck with the Nosler match (69 and 77) and Hornady 75gn ELD match. Of course, if you want to spend a bit more one guy in here likes the Sierra Tipped Match Kings even better than the SMK's. :)

There is a guy at our range who shoots the 10" gong at 1000yd with his 1:7 twist rifle using the 77gn SMK's.

Basic Member
    I zeroed my .223 with SMKs after firing about 200 rounds of various other ammo. Granted, new barrel/gun but the SMKs in 77 were the straightest bullets out of every other and I got maybe 10 different brands/models/etc to screw around with. Just took a box from every spot, except those overly expensive match cartridges in the white box that shall remain nameless because their price makes me aggravated.

Basic Member
    LOL.

Since I last posted I have shot the 77SMK's out to 1000yd. A 10 shot 15" group. A little wind that day and gusty (5-10mph). Took me 10 shots to hit the water filled milk jug at 1000yd. One shot left, one right, another right, one left, repeat. None were more than a couple inches from the jug. I was laughing like a school kid as I was shooting. Fun to do something that you didn't expect would work.