Thread: What model is it, and why?

Basic Member

What model is it, and why?

Does anyone besides me have trouble with the Savage model designation system? When I see Savage guns listed for sale or just in forum discussions I have little Idea what most of the alphabet letters after the model mean. An example is a gun that I bought used because I liked it. It had a digital camo accustock, fairly heavy threaded 20" barrel, and magazine. I finally learned from Savage that it was a discontinued precision carbine. I have a Mod 12 LRP and have tried to find out what distinguishes a model 12. Last weekend at the range a fellow shooter said that a mod 12 has a smaller ejection port and sure enough mine did. The metal on the left went almost all the way under the scope rail toward the port like a beefy target action. When we looked at his mod 12, it looked just like a mod 10. Is there a nomenclature of models and what the model numbers and letters mean. Another thing is how to know which model you have without the box since the only thing marked is on the barrel with no letters, e.g. mod 10, mod 12, mod 110. There may be a simple answer, but I own a lot of Savages and I don't know. I called Savage for stock torque on the 10PC yesterday and the savage tec didn't know what a 10PC was and asked me for the serial number. ANY HELP?

I suggest you take some time to read or at least reference the FAQ link in the navigation bar. This article will answer most of your questions with a few exceptions. There are other interesting articles. Thanks to Jim for supplying a forum that allows members to gain a lot of knowledge.

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...r-Designations
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    After reading what Robinhood suggested, you'll have some basic idea of what your second hand Savage was when it left the factory. Of course, you can always call Savage Customer Service and give them the serial number and they can tell you what it was originally. However, because one of the beautiful features of the Savage line is the ability to change calibers easily, your gun may actually be sporting a different Savage barrel than originally installed.

A few years ago is was quite common to find Savage model 12FV's on sale at Cabelas quite cheap. And many of us purchased several at a time during these sales to use as a basis for a new build, or upgrading an older build, changing calibers, etc.

For instance, a search of the "for sale" ads here will frequently turn up new, take off barrels.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Your model 12 LRP is a special model with a Precision Target trigger and a special HS Precision V-bedded stock (you'll find a 'Precision Target Trigger warning' marked on the side of the receiver near the metal that you described as 'going all the way up to the scope'). I believe that extra metal is to provide more stability to the platform for a platform that is supposed to be for precision shooting.
    A normal model 10, 11 or 12 doesn't have that trigger or the extra metal you described. The normal models also cost a lot less.

Savage makes rifles on order for several companies - Cabela's among them - and each of those 'built espeically for' models get special designations. The 12 FV from Cabela's that Texas 10 mentioned is one of those 'built especially for' models. Savage supports them but that particular model was never in the Savage catalog and I wouldn't expect a Savage customer service rep would know about them.

The precision carbine you referenced was made in about 2013 for about 2 years, I think. It is a good hunting rifle and is based on the model 10 Law Enforcement series that dates back to at least 2008 but has also been discontinued with that description. Current model 10s are still considered LE models but I think they aren't advertised that way any longer.

If you want to see the variations of current models, take a look at the Savage web site. The Savage web site only shows the currently offered models and doesn't necessarily provide as good a summary as Jim's data does, but you can at least see some of the variations in the models and some of the justification for the numbers. There is some rhyme or reason for the choice of numbers but sometimes the choices get close to overlapping as times as customer preferences change.