Thread: Is it time we re-evaluate our business dealings with WalMart???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Is it time we re-evaluate our business dealings with WalMart???

And Hollywood, and J.P.Morgan Chase, Paypal, etc...etc....
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    And Hollywood, and J.P.Morgan Chase, Paypal, etc...etc....
    check, check, and check.

Walmart will be hard though in our rural location

Basic Member
    Screw Walmart. Haven’t been there in over 10 years. And honestly the last time I was there was for handgun ammo. lol

Walmart sucks. People who shop there deserve that garbage.

Basic Member
    I already avoid Walmart like the plague...so their policies mean nothing to me.

I believe have been to a Walmart once. So I will continue my not shopping there but more aggressively.

Dick's as well - I boycotted them starting when they stopped selling pistols. Haven't been able to get black powder or traditional archery gear there for decades, anyway. They are mostly golf and clothing. This is a shame because when I was a kid I shopped at Dick Stacks original store that was kitty-corner to my jr. high school. Spent many hours in that store and most of my allowance.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Here's my $0.02 on this topic: If Walmart wants to stop selling certain things, so be it and there is an upside. This actually is a boon for the local sporting goods stores, gun stores, and ranges who exist on thin profit margins already. When a bulk buyer comes in, the local stores always suffer. I love the local gun store near me, and there are Big Chain stores all over he cannot compete with for regular ammo prices, except that he offers things they don't, plus knows a whole lot more than the Big Chain college kids who work retail. The local store has been great for certain items, and awesome for conversation and advice. So I say - support your local stores and ranges!

I am not J. P. Moneybags, so I have to buy smart with the limited spare money I have. Walmart (and Costco and Best Buy, etc) can be great for the kinds of things that are needed to keep your family budget manageable (laundry detergent, paper towels, toothpaste, deodorant, snacks), but it wouldn't be my first (or second or third) choice for gun-related items because they don't stock the right stuff anyway and if they did, it'd be some imported knock-off.

If we (the people) only buy our gun-related goods from stores that support, respect, and encourage responsible gun ownership and educated hunters, then those stores will thrive and continue to support us.

The bigger hypocrisy is that Walmart sells alcohol - a substance responsible for far, far more ruined lives and deaths than any handgun ammunition - and just as regulated. Is it about saving lives or about the latest "big gesture" to grab sympathy? I'm sure I am not alone on this forum when I tell you that I make informed and smart decisions with my guns and my alcohol, and never the two do I mix (I mean, who wants to drink Bulleit from a Glock frame? The Hoppes ruins the taste.) For the record, I am not a teetotaler. I enjoy alcohol, and I enjoy shooting sports.

Basic Member
    Seems to me they were pretty popular around here when they almost gave away Savages. Lol
    They are the worlds largest retailer by a wide margin. Stopping gun and ammo sales wont amount to a hiccup for them.
    And who could argue that it will help the small retailers.
    Home Depot and Lowes have driven most traditional lumber yards out of business.
    But ask any legitimate home builder where they would rather buy lumber.
    There is but one advantage to the large box stores.
    Go in with a laundry list of 15 or 20 items, and you will probably leave the store with all of them.
    Same goes for Walmart.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris3.Drums View Post
    Here's my $0.02 on this topic: If Walmart wants to stop selling certain things, so be it and there is an upside. This actually is a boon for the local sporting goods stores, gun stores, and ranges who exist on thin profit margins already. When a bulk buyer comes in, the local stores always suffer.

The bigger hypocrisy is that Walmart sells alcohol - a substance responsible for far, far more ruined lives and deaths than any handgun ammunition - and just as regulated. Is it about saving lives or about the latest "big gesture" to grab sympathy?
    I agree with both points 100%. I’m happy for the local guy, and you better believe the lard and alcohol Mallwart peddles is far, far more dangerous to the public than guns or ammo.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris3.Drums View Post
    Here's my $0.02 on this topic: If Walmart wants to stop selling certain things, so be it and there is an upside. This actually is a boon for the local sporting goods stores, gun stores, and ranges who exist on thin profit margins already. When a bulk buyer comes in, the local stores always suffer. I love the local gun store near me, and there are Big Chain stores all over he cannot compete with for regular ammo prices, except that he offers things they don't, plus knows a whole lot more than the Big Chain college kids who work retail. The local store has been great for certain items, and awesome for conversation and advice. So I say - support your local stores and ranges!
    Great point about local stores. My LGS has about every kind of ammo I would ever need but sometimes the price gives me pause. I need to get past that and appreciate the fact that they are there every day, willing to support gun owners. At the current rate of things, they may become my only option. I do make it a point to support the locally owned ACE hardware store in my neighborhood over big box stores.

I loathe and try to avoid the leftist companies that are out in front leading the assault on gun owners and our 2A rights. Other companies are simply caught in the middle in a no win position. I work in manufacturing and know how tough business can be. I have some empathy for their situation.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    I already avoid Walmart like the plague...so their policies mean nothing to me.
    Same here, only as a desperate last resort.

Basic Member
    Wow. Well said. I’ll need to go down a rabbit hole or two exploring.