Thread: Wyoming elk outfitter

Basic Member

Wyoming elk outfitter

Hello,
    Looking for a outfitter/ranch for rifle elk hunting in 2020 or 2021.
    I have 3 pref pts, will get #4 this month.
    Grew up on a ne Iowa farm, been hunting,fishing and trapping since I could tag along with my brothers.
    Been hunting Wyoming and Colorado for deer antelope and elk the last 25 years, all on public, non guided hunts.
    48 years old, in decent shape but can't handle 5 days of walking at above 9000 feet anymore.
    Want to have use of horses.
    Dont need a Yellowstone, Grand Teton border hunt for 400"+ bulls, dont need my hand held and a million dollar lodge with leather seats and sterling silver tableware.
    Just looking for an honest, reliable outfitter with reliable stock, and decent tents/camps, with decent numbers of elk, with a honest chance at a decent bull.
    Not trying to be demanding or gruff, just looking to eliminate the lower, and higher end type hunts.
    Any leads or names is appreciated
    You can PM if you want
    THANK YOU in advance
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

Basic Member
    Tough crowd

I wish I had the like button. My son and I would like the same but for archery hunt.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Years back, probably 30, i went on a Deer/antelope hunt in Wyoming with a guy who was primarily an Elk outfitter.
    He did the deer/antelope hunts in a different area of the state, and only as a means of extending his season.
    He used horses on the Elk hunts and operated out of a base camp in a wilderness area.
    He may no longer even be alive or still an outfitter. But his name is Gap Puche, pronounced as Poochy, and he lived in Hobart Junction, which is just south of Jackson Hole.
    He might at least be able to shed some light on another outfitter.
    As for the self guided hunts, i know lots of guys who over many years have been doing that in Colorado on public land.
    Some are much older than you, and they are still going every year.
    But none of them hunt they way you hunt. They set up and glass and shoot at longer distances.
    Ive known quite a few others who every couple years went on an outfitter hunt in various good locations including western Canada.
    Fact is as you know, there are no guarantees regardless of wether you choose to go it alone or use an outfitter.
    The few I’ve known who got a really nice elk to put on their wall, ended up going to New Mexico and paying to hunt on a ranch.

As for an archery Elk hunt Robinhood, PM me and i can give you some information that could very well be helpful.

Basic Member
    Thank you
    Will do some searching

THis is one of the states I hunt usually every other year. I am from the west (Nevada) have hunted western public lands my whole life and have never done a guide. You can do DIY unless you are looking for someone to prep your meals and provide horses. Western hunters typically look down on Ranch operations since they do a number of questionable things liking bating herds to their lands and run ATV on adjacent public lands to scare game in.

I would recommend Gohunt.com to find a good area and Google earth and Onxmaps to find some nice public land.

Basic Member
    I have been going to co. Have gotten an elk or deer ever trip. With with an outfiter the first time then have been hunting the area around it for the last 3 trip. Biggest so far has been a smallish 330 inch 6x6 so far but I guess in that area it is huge.

Basic Member
    Sorry to tell you, but you are 20 years late. Seems the wolves and bears have gotten them all. I live here and haven't killed an elk since 2002. They are around, just not in the numbers they used to be. I don't have horses anymore, so packing them out on my back is a no-go for me. Don't be a dick and run your side by side all over my state - you MUST be on a trail marked for motorized vehicles to use a 4 wheeler.

Basic Member
    Contact Dan Harrison out of Grand Junction, CO.

https://harrisonshunting.com/

My son in law had connections with him a number of years ago with some hunting shows he (son in law) worked on.

Greg

Basic Member
    Dont run 4 wheelers when I hunt, and my post stated I would like to use horses.
    Also, federal land, nation forests, are EVERYONES .
    Thanks for the information

11. 04-06-2022, 11:46 AM