Thread: Target Action Project

Basic Member

Target Action Project

I have a target action that I was tired of single feeding- so I sent it off and had it milled to accept AICS mags. That was much cheaper than I thought it would be and looks good. I now have to find a stock and DBM. On this I am a little out of my element. On Rem 700 and clones I just get a stock inletted with M5 pattern and have a go to brand of bottom metal. Looking at boyds website they have stocks for this action with mags- but it looks like they are all for the savage style.

I have a MDT chassis that I could put it in- but would rather have a stock. Anyone know of a stock and bottom metal combination that works without having to do much inletting?

Thanks

How much are you looking to spend?

Sidenote: Where did you get the action milled?
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

Basic Member
    Not looking to spend very much..... even though this is a savage forum- I don't consider any of my savages "nice" guns so I try to do my projects on the lower end of the budget and buy the top end stuff for other guns. I do have a fair number of Savages,- but they are blind mag- single shot- or in a chassis, so I don't have any idea about the savage mag system and how difficult it is to make it work with AICS.

This target action was sharing a stock with another target action... I didn't shoot either of them very much so it wasn't a big deal. But that means that I can't send the stock off to be machined for a mag system- so just looking for a new aics compatable stock.

CDI did the milling.... It looks really good- so far i just held a mag up to it but it went right in place. I will put that action into the MDT chassis just to check that everything feeds correct.... but I'm just not a big fan of chassis.

Basic Member
    Could You not have sent a Boyd’s stock and had it milled at the same time as the action ? Just asking?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenGuy View Post
    Could You not have sent a Boyd’s stock and had it milled at the same time as the action ? Just asking?
    not anymore Jeff Allen (cdi) passed away last month

Basic Member
    That’s very disturbing news.

Basic Member
    Just a quick update on this... In case anyone else was looking to do something similar. I purchased a Boyds stock that was for a model 10 mag feed and then ordered a Accurate Mag bottom metal. I was told that this would be a drop in fit. It wasn't quite, I had to do some dremel work to make room for everything- but nothing bad. No measuring or complicated work- just opening it up a little in a few spots that it was rubbing. Not sure if it was the bottom metal or the boyds stock that was out of spec.

After it was done it fit and looks really nice. The Accurate mag well accepts regular AICS Magpul mags and I think its going to work great. The only problem now is that I need to work on the extraction. When it was a single shot the extractor was good enough to pull the brass out.... but now that it is riding across another cartridge it doesn't have enough grip and drops about half of them. But at least I finally got it done.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
    Just a quick update on this... In case anyone else was looking to do something similar. I purchased a Boyds stock that was for a model 10 mag feed and then ordered a Accurate Mag bottom metal. I was told that this would be a drop in fit. It wasn't quite, I had to do some dremel work to make room for everything- but nothing bad. No measuring or complicated work- just opening it up a little in a few spots that it was rubbing. Not sure if it was the bottom metal or the boyds stock that was out of spec.

After it was done it fit and looks really nice. The Accurate mag well accepts regular AICS Magpul mags and I think its going to work great. The only problem now is that I need to work on the extraction. When it was a single shot the extractor was good enough to pull the brass out.... but now that it is riding across another cartridge it doesn't have enough grip and drops about half of them. But at least I finally got it done.

Sharp Shooter Supply sells an improved extractor kit that will probably solve the problem. They are frequently out of stock, and when they do get a shipment, they go fast.http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/BoltParts.html
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Another alternative. I have a M11 that took the Axis style magazine with the cheezy plastic clip release. On my Boyd's stock I used an E.Arthur Brown bottom "metal" bracket and metal trigger guard from Gun Shack (though the plastic would have worked - I bedded the action and bracket around aluminum pillars). I ordered a 10 round magazine from Snyder Mags (https://www.snydermags.com/) which uses a modified H&K G3 magazine and with just a slight modification to the plastic "cheeks" on either side (they sent a diagram of what to remove for the Boyd's) it snugged right in and has a very positive catch. Nice for hunting as it is flush inside the bracket and won't be accidentally released. Makes a great palm rest for biathlon style offhand shooting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Savage S.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	6505
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik