I picked up an Axis a couple of years ago in .22-250. The idea was that I wanted an inexpensive rifle that I could shoot coyotes and pigs with, keep it in my truck and not worried about it getting messed up, leave it at deer camp, etc. So I bought a regular plain jane Axis.

I put a Leupold 4-12x Vari X II on it. I've had the scope for years and on several rifles and it's been a good scope. No issues. I mounted the scope, got 3 different brands of ammo and went to sight it in. I really wanted to shoot something like Remington soft points for the pigs. I think I picked up some Federal and Hornady too. All 55gr.

The rifle just doesn't shoot well at all. I'm talking 2.5" 5 shot groups. I double pulled the scope off, made sure the bases were tight, put it back on, made sure the rings were tight and everything was fine. I made sure the action screws were tight. I made sure there is no contact between the barrel and stock. I shot it off 3 different rests. I kinda got frustrated with it and put it away. Pulled it out recently and it's the same thing. Very poor accuracy and it isn't all strung out just vertically or horizontally. It's just one big ugly group.

So, what specific things have you done that have helped on your Axis?

I thought about putting it in a Boyd's stock but then I hate to throw good money after bad. I've sure been thinking about sending it down the road. Anything I should try before I move it on?