Thread: New CZ 457 Varmint 22LR

Basic Member

New CZ 457 Varmint 22LR

This is my new CZ 457 Varmint 22LR that I picked up about a month ago. I added the Boyds Pro Varmint stock and Nikon Target EFR 3-9X40 scope this past week. I have to say that I am really impressed with the fit and finish on this gun. The factory stock is very nice but I wanted something with a vertical grip. I was able to put my hands on several other CZ 457 variants at a LGS and that convinced me to go this route.

With two trips to the range so far, it shoots 0.5” – 1.0” groups at 50 yds with standard grade 22LR ammo. I haven’t done any real ammo testing yet and am just getting familiar with it.

Nice looking rifle. I really like my two left-hand CZ 452's, but it seems CZ is hell bent on abandoning left-hand shooters such as myself. Two major design updates on the rimfires (455 or 457) that have never been offered in LH, and the old LH 452's rimfire rifles have now all been discontinued - as have the LH 527 American centerfire rifles.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Nice looking rifle. I really like my two left-hand CZ 452's, but it seems CZ is hell bent on abandoning left-hand shooters such as myself. Two major design updates on the rimfires (455 or 457) that have never been offered in LH, and the old LH 452's rimfire rifles have now all been discontinued - as have the LH 527 American centerfire rifles.
    For sure they were hell bent on abandoning this lefty.
    I had four 527 223s before they finally agreed to refund my money, but they refused to reimburse me for the sales tax.
    I could have had #5, but i had asked the tech at KC to test fire it for group (before) sending it this time.
    He said that one didn’t perform well either.
    So i bought another Savage and didn’t even bother with testing different loads.
    It shot the load for my other Savage model 12 just fine.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    I'm a lefty too but prefer shooting right bolt rifles since I only shoot paper from the bench. If I was looking for a gun to use in the field, I would get a LH bolt. I considered the LH 452 a year ago or so when there was still inventory but just never made the purchase. At least Savage still has LH options.

I'm actually right eye dominant and should be shooting from the right shoulder but it just feels so awkward and unnatural.

If I was looking for a new .22 with a heavy barrel that is what I would get. I have many heard good things said about them..
    i like your Boyd’s stock that you put on it
    Savage TH in .223 & 308, VT .308, BVSS 223
    Philf