Thread: Altering an Axis Factory Stock

Altering an Axis Factory Stock

I'm 5'7" and the LOP on the stock is/was 14.5". I got to fiddling with the stock and discovered the removeable spacer between the stock and gummy recoil pad. Of course, the recoil pad was then too wide to fit in the recess and the screw hole areas in the stock stopped the pad from seating fully. I remedied that by trimming the recoil pad screw areas with a hack saw for clearance and had to grind down the portion of the pad that slipped into the hollow stock using my Dremel and sanding drums.. Long story short, I ended up with a length of pull at about 12.5 inches which feels perfect for me and I no longer have to crawl the stock when shooting from the bench. This will work in the interim until installing a Boyd's stock. I'd post pictures but don't have the capability at the moment.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Proper LOP is important on a rifle, not as important as a shotgun, but still a game changer. I'm 6'4", I have the opposite problem, I take a 35" sleeve and my knuckles drag the ground at times.
    Overall, I think the gun manufactures do a passible job of fitting the "average " person, but guys like us will always have to adjust.

Until recently, I used a number of Boyd's stocks, for personal use, usually ordered over length and shipped without the butt pad installed. I fit a shotgun pad to get to my preferred LOP (14 7/8") on my last 2 orders, Boyd's charged for the over length wood, but shipped standard length wood with pad installed. Made no attempt to fix it. The last order, they returned the stock and then deducted for shipping, from my refund.

Sounds like your shortening project was a little dicey, thank dog for a dremel...
    Good luck with Boyd's

Paul in Venice

Quote Originally Posted by red caddy 51 View Post
    Proper LOP is important on a rifle, not as important as a shotgun, but still a game changer. I'm 6'4", I have the opposite problem, I take a 35" sleeve and my knuckles drag the ground at times.
    Overall, I think the gun manufactures do a passible job of fitting the "average " person, but guys like us will always have to adjust.

Until recently, I used a number of Boyd's stocks, for personal use, usually ordered over length and shipped without the butt pad installed. I fit a shotgun pad to get to my preferred LOP (14 7/8") on my last 2 orders, Boyd's charged for the over length wood, but shipped standard length wood with pad installed. Made no attempt to fix it. The last order, they returned the stock and then deducted for shipping, from my refund.

Sounds like your shortening project was a little dicey, thank dog for a dremel...
    Good luck with Boyd's

Paul in Venice
    Actually, I had the job done in less than 30 minutes. The Dremel sure speeded up the grinding of the rubber. Went thru three sanding drums due to the soft gummy rubber clogging the drums.

axis stock length

Hi all,
    My stock synthetic stock is about 1 inch too short. I called Savage and got no help.
    I'm looking to add another 1 inch Hard plastic spacer plate to the one that is already there. Or replace it with a 2 inch.
    The molded form of this spacer would be hard to reproduce.
    Has anyone tried this? Does anyone know where i can attain another spacer like the one on my stock?
    Any help would be great, i would like to keep the stock ,but i need more length.
    Thanks ,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 2ashootingsport View Post
    axis stock length

Hi all,
    My stock synthetic stock is about 1 inch too short. I called Savage and got no help.
    I'm looking to add another 1 inch Hard plastic spacer plate to the one that is already there. Or replace it with a 2 inch.
    Has anyone tried this? Does anyone know where i can attain another spacer like the one on my stock?
    Any help would be great, i would like to keep the stock ,but i need more length.
    Thanks ,
    Mike
    I still have the one I removed. Your welcome to it.

Yes please...
    Thank u
    Let me know how i can get it
    and how much i owe u,please
    2ashootingsport@gmail.com

Yes please...
    Thank u
    Let me know how i can get it
    and how much i owe u,please
    2ashootingsport@gmail.com
    Message sent.

did u get my info?
    Mike

did u get my info?
    Mike
    Yes, part going out in the mail in the morning Priority Mail.

Did ther spacer work for you?

axis stock length

Hi all,
    Thanks ,
    Mike
    Sent you an e-mail but it bounced? Will send a PM.

Basic Member
    axis stock length

Hi all,
    Thanks ,
    Mike
    I have a 6.5 Creedmore coming at some point. I don't know about molding but I might be able to take measurements and make something for 3d printing.

Basic Member
    Nevermind, I guess mine has the older style stock with no extension.

If someone has one lying around that they would be willing to take measurements off of I might still be able to make a model.