Thread: Tip for determining correct scope ring height

Basic Member

Tip for determining correct scope ring height

If you have a scope that you want to mount but don’t know what ring height will prevent interferences, here is a quick and easy method to model how that scope will sit on your rifle with rings of differing heights. I have done this on several scopes now and it has helped me arrive at the correct choice each time. Some of you probably do something similar but, judging by the number of repeat questions on this topic, this may be helpful to others.

You must have the scope in hand and also know the physical dimensions of the rings that you are considering. Many manufacturers list this information. For example, Warne’s website has diagrams of their products which show all of the critical dimensions.

1. Determine the dimension between the point where the base of the ring contacts the top of the scope base and where the bottom of the scope tube contacts the ring cradle.
    2. Create two stacks of pennies or other coins that are equal in height to the dimension described above.
    3. Wrap the coin stacks with masking tape to hold them together.
    4. Place the two stacks on the scope rail or bases and set the scope on the stacks. Keep a hold on your scope as it’s not going to rest there without falling.
    5. Move the scope and coin stacks forward or backward to evaluate for interferences.

If there are interferences, repeat the process with the next highest available ring dimensions. If all looks good, now you know that those rings will work for you. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Bill2905; 08-18-2019 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Picture link didn't work