Thread: Accutrigger lock up question.

Accutrigger lock up question.

New rifle (10 fcp-sr). The accutrigger slips the sear and locks up 75% of the time. UNLESS, I loosen the action bolt in front of the trigger to 10 in/lbs. Won't lock up even when I slam the bolt at 10 in/lbs. Whatever is causing the problem goes away once I get down below 15 in/lbs on that action bolt. Something must be binding under tension. But what? And what do I do about it?

Basic Member
    Contact savage and send it back. No excuse for an ineffective trigger on a rifle

Banned
    Agreed. New rifle..just send it to Savage. You can ship directly to them, they’ll fix it & send it back. No sense getting into it yourself when it’s under warranty. Besides, impossible to figure out with the limited info you provided. When does this happen?? Slipping the sear? On closing the bolt? When you pull the trigger?

It's actually not that uncommon a problem. At least there are numerous hits on the topic when you do a google search. This is a condition that occurs when you slam the bolt. Basically, the sear slip and it locks up (supposedly a safety feature to keep it from slam firing). Typically, it goes away once you crank up the trigger poundage. On mine, it doesn't go away even at the factory trigger poundage. I never seen anyone narrow it down to action bolt tension though.

Fixed it! I shortened the bolt with a file. Problem solved. Apparently the bolt was too long and pressing against something causing it to bind. I just wondered if it wasn't the poundage but rather the length of the bolt. I got lucky! I really love the Accutrigger (when it's not locked up). Overall, I'm impressed with the rifle. Haven't shot it yet though.

Banned
    The Safe-Trigger doesn’t ”supposedly” do anything! It STOPS any discharge out rite, that is not a purposeful action of pulling the trigger! What do you mean by “factory trigger poundage”? The weight has nothing to do with it. This phenomenon you have read about(yes, I’ve read most of these over the years!) has to do with the amount of of spring pre-tension on the trigger return. Set to light and a hard “jolt, bump, slam”, whatever... can cause the sear to fall.

Have you pulled the action from the stock and taken a look yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    The Safe-Trigger doesn’t ”supposedly” do anything! It STOPS any discharge out rite, that is not a purposeful action of pulling the trigger! What do you mean by “factory trigger poundage”? The weight has nothing to do with it. This phenomenon you have read about(yes, I’ve read most of these over the years!) has to do with the amount of of spring pre-tension on the trigger return. Set to light and a hard “jolt, bump, slam”, whatever... can cause the sear to fall.

Have you pulled the action from the stock and taken a look yet?
    Factory trigger poundage = the poundage set at the factory. The trigger return spring greatly effects the poundage of any trigger. So YES weight DOES have something to do with it. Yes I have taken it from the action. Again, I've already found the fix to it on my own. So I'm done here.

Team Savage
    Glad you got the problem fixed. This issue has been covered many times. If the Accutrigger safety feature engages, l check several things. Remove the barreled action from the stock and see if the problem persist. If so, then you are not pulling the Accutrigger center blade straight back and putting to much pressure on the side of the trigger causing the safety feature to engage. Increasing the Accutrigger pull weight may also fix the problem. If the Accutrigger safety feature continues to trip when the rear action screw is torqued down, then the stock is usually contacting the rear of the Accutrigger just above the rear trigger guard screw tip. Removing a little of the stock material in this area and/or upgrading from a plastic to a metal trigger guard may fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkhuntclub View Post
    Factory trigger poundage = the poundage set at the factory. The trigger return spring greatly effects the poundage of any trigger. So YES weight DOES have something to do with it. Yes I have taken it from the action. Again, I've already found the fix to it on my own. So I'm done here.
    Jayhawk, Glad you got it fixed. I would hope that in the future you chime in when someone else has this issue. If you figured it out yourself you are way ahead of most that come to this forum looking for answers to their issues. Sometimes help is not as easy as asking people to diagnose your issues without providing a vast amount of information up front(many of those items the majority don't even know is pertinent). Often it becomes a series of try this try that, have you done this or done that.

None of us are soothsayers. As a community we learn and feed off of the experience of others. The ones that do as you did and spend time trying to determine this issues rather than expect someone else to do the work for us, those are the ones that have the most to contribute.

You will find all kinds on this forum, just like all forums. You have the guy who will tell you he knows everything and you are stupid. You will have a guy that post all kinds of information he collected with great diagrams and gifs. You have guys like me that misread and give you an answer that doesn't even apply. You have guys that will try to get their problem resolved on your thread. You get it all here. If we can't help you on the day you ask for help, it's OK. We try.

I feel like your comment "So I'm done hear" was a "You guys were no help so I'm gone". I i'll respond with this. Your ability to solve problems makes you a perfect contributor to return and spend your time helping others. This forum is built around the premise of helping others solve problems. You will notice that there are no boards where chatting and other BS is encouraged. Simply helping answer questions is what this place is structured for. With all it's faults many people get their answers for Savage problems and ideas is right here. So come back, and often. Put your 2 cents in and develop your skills as a contributor.

Robinhood
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.