Thread: Trouble Sighting In 99C 308

Trouble Sighting In 99C 308

Hey all. I bought a decent condition 99C in 308 a while back to set up for use in the Wisconsin deer woods. I've been struggling with getting it set up and sighted in, however, and am hoping for suggestions.

It came with 2pc Weaver bases #14 front and #19 rear. That all checked out fine and appears to be correct. I installed a new Leupold VX-3i 3.5x10 using Warne 201M Maxima Fixed rings and went to sight it in. First range trip shooting Hornady American Whitetail 165gr factory loads and I ran out of adjustment on the scope. Everything shot high/right but I had a fairly decent group at short range (25 yards to get on paper).

I switched the Weaver bases and Warne rings to a Leupold 1pc STD base and medium STD rings and returned to the range this morning. After getting on the paper at close range, I moved to 100 yards to sight in. I was using shooting bags and felt pretty good about my shots but man I had some wild inconsistencies. I typically shoot around 4x on these scopes but I even tried it dialed up. My last 2 shots on 4x sent me packing as one was about 2.5" - 3" high and an inch left and the last shot was 3" low and an inch right.

I've never had this kind of inconsistency before so I'm puzzled. The only thing I can thing of right now is that maybe the old girl just doesn't like these factory Hornady rounds?

Any suggestions much appreciated!!!!

I would definitely try different ammo before anything else.

Something else to consider....

Was this range session with a fresh, clean bore or a previously fouled bore? If a fresh, clean bore it might take a bit for the barrel to get fouled up and "settle in" as some barrels just shoot better dirty than clean. The reverse can also be true though, so you'll have to experiment and see what your barrel's preferences are.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Found some 150gr American Whitetail laying around and went back out and it was significantly better with 3 shot groups strung horizontally about 3" or so and pretty decent vertically.

I did start with a clean bore and never cleaned it throughout the sessions. I also was not really patient letting the barrel cool between shots. It didn't seem to effect the 150gr much and it was hard to tell on the 165gr as they were pretty bad.

Anybody know what the barrel twist rate is on an early 70's Model 99C? I'm thinking it simply spins the lighter bullet better. I will work up handloads for this eventually.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsdws View Post
    Anybody know what the barrel twist rate is on an early 70's Model 99C. . . . . .
    though most .308 Winchester barrels of their brands are 1:12”, I believe the Savage M99 is 1:10”.

Quote Originally Posted by jrsdws View Post
    Found some 150gr American Whitetail laying around and went back out and it was significantly better with 3 shot groups strung horizontally about 3" or so and pretty decent vertically.

I did start with a clean bore and never cleaned it throughout the sessions. I also was not really patient letting the barrel cool between shots. It didn't seem to effect the 150gr much and it was hard to tell on the 165gr as they were pretty bad.
    I had a 99 stringing shots horizontally also. I removed the forearm and shot it with receiver resting on sand bags (don't rest the gun on the barrel) and it shot without stringing the shots. Then I put a rubber washer on the barrel stud and put the forearm back on, problem solved. Hope this helps .

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    I had a 99 stringing shots horizontally also. I removed the forearm and shot it with receiver resting on sand bags (don't rest the gun on the barrel) and it shot without stringing the shots. Then I put a rubber washer on the barrel stud and put the forearm back on, problem solved. Hope this helps .
    I've read about this several times now and this is my plan moving forward. I'm sure hoping it's the cure.

Shot quite a bit this morning with the factory Hornady American Whitetail rounds first without the forearm and 165gr loads. I never could get any consistency.

I switched to the same Hornady 150gr rounds and it dialed right in and remained consistent. I added a single "o" ring over the barrel stud and attached the forearm and maintained my consistent group of 1.25".

I think she simply doesn't like 165gr Hornady American Whitetails.......or my handloaded versions using the same Interlock bullet over Varget.

I'm just going to shoot and hunt with the 150s or start developing handloads in 150 for this one I guess.

Basic Member
    I'd suggest the Nosler Ballistic tip or Partition in 150 grain as that's what I reload for my '99C.