Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M y First Axis XP in 243

Basic Member

wbm, where in NM are you?

My Axis is a .223 heavy barrel and it changes very little in POI with a hot or cold barrel. It shoots tighter groups when the barrel is hot, as in to hot to hold onto. My BVSS is the opposite, groups open up when it gets hot, even with the big fluted barrel. It also did not like to be loaded with copper where the Axis likes a layer of copper in the bore.

If you haven't tried it, get some KG12 copper remover. It works better than any of the other stuff out there with a lot less work. You can actually watch it dissolve the copper in the muzzle area.

I've got KG12, it never touched copper fouling in my barrel. Initially, when cleaning with the KG, I thought I had a barrel that wasn't going to be a "copper mine" for a change. On a whim, I tried some "Wipe out" Tactical Advantage and, boy, did the patches start coming out dark blue, almost black. I see my accuracy start to fall off after 15 rounds and know it's time to get out the Tactical Advantage.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Interesting that my experience was the opposite. I even tried straight ammonia and it did not work as well as the KG12.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Interesting that my experience was the opposite. I even tried straight ammonia and it did not work as well as the KG12.
    Yes, very interesting. I've used KG 12 in other rifles with great results.

wbm, where in NM are you?
    We live about eight miles north of Ramah on the West side of the Zuni mountains. Sorta just out here in the middle of everywhere.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    We live about eight miles north of Ramah on the West side of the Zuni mountains. Sorta just out here in the middle of everywhere.
    LOL yep, that is out in the middle. When we lived in ABQ I used to take nm117 to Quemado and then on into AZ quite a bit. Never went out as far as you are.

I only asked cause there is another guy that shoots here who has a bunch of Savage rifles and travels to the various shoots in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    LOL yep, that is out in the middle. When we lived in ABQ I used to take nm117 to Quemado and then on into AZ quite a bit. Never went out as far as you are.

I only asked cause there is another guy that shoots here who has a bunch of Savage rifles and travels to the various shoots in the state.
    You guys are in "God's Country". I'd give anything to be back out there.

I think He moved to Arizona after the last election in New Mexico.

Basic Member
    lol not here anymore :) This state would be as liberal as CA if they had the money to do it.

Az is getting as bad as California with all the taxes and 'immigrants' from the west coast cities. I grew up in AZ. When I went to buy a fishing license one year the counter guy said "you're a double native!" When I asked what that was he explained that there were so few native born in AZ that anyone who was a resident for more than 10 yrs was considered a native. I guess the smart ones left the state :)

But, the countryside itself is wonderful. AZ, CO, NM, UT are all beautiful if you stay away from the population centers.

This state would be as liberal as CA if they had the money to do it.
    That's the truth of it! Reason Kansas had so many floods this year and New Mexico had so many new Californians? Kansas had first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    That's the truth of it! Reason Kansas had so many floods this year and New Mexico had so many new Californians? Kansas had first choice.

That's sad. Glad I have fond memories of my time there in the early to mid 70s. Even though my wife and I are not NM natives, We probably new more about the state than locals from reading. We were heavily involved in exploring ghost towns and read every book we could get our hands on learning the history of the state. My son is a native New Mexican being born in Curry count in 1977. I did my EMT repelling training in Taos NM in 1975, that is some beautiful country. We were repelling off of the Rio Grande Gorge bridge.

That's sad

Yep it is. If New Mexico and other states had adopted the same system as the Federal government and gone with an electoral college, then the problem would be mitigated in large part. California and New Mexico are conservative except for large urban areas.
    Finally finished my Axis in 270. The 145 Hornady ELD-X shoots really well with H4831SC. The stainless barrel that came from a Weather Warrior was a real surprise...best factory barrel from Savage I have had in several years.

Glad to hear. Nice to have a great shooter in a relatively short period of time.

Short of primer issues and the Weaver scope going belly up, addressed in an other thread, my Axis is an MOA rifle out to 300 yards with 100 grain Sierra Pro Hunters and Speer 100 grain BTSPs. I replaced the Weaver with a Simmons 3X12X40 I had on hand, so far it is doing well.

I've been running into problems with light primer strikers lately. Problem started after about 100 rounds thru the rifle? Not only am I getting light primer streikes from the FP but when rounds do fire I also get pierced primers! Figure that one out! My range trip yesterday was a disaster, 100 grain Interlocks over 7828ssc powder, of the 6 rounds tried, two failed to fire and two had pierced primers. Primer were pretty flat so I didn't try shooting the remaining 6 rounds. Charges are no where near the max of 44.5 grains and bullets were seated .013" OTL.

Next tried were 80 grain Sierra Spitzer BTs over IMR 4461 Max charge being 40.3 grains but my loads were between 37 and 37.6 grains, bullet .009" OTL. Six rounds fired but again showed very flat primers The next six again showed light primer strikes and would not fire. I've had it with this Axis. Talked to Savage about the problem and they said to send it in to be looked at. Did some checking with Fed Ex and UPS. To send it back to Savage is going to cost me another $65 to shipped it insured. I'm not wasting another penny on this POS. On top of all the firing problems the Weaver scope went belly up early on, elevation quit working so had to replace the scope. This will be the last Axis I ever buy.

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    I've been running into problems with light primer strikers lately. Problem started after about 100 rounds thru the rifle? Not only am I getting light primer streikes from the FP but when rounds do fire I also get pierced primers! Figure that one out! My range trip yesterday was a disaster, 100 grain Interlocks over 7828ssc powder, of the 6 rounds tried, two failed to fire and two had pierced primers. Primer were pretty flat so I didn't try shooting the remaining 6 rounds. Charges are no where near the max of 44.5 grains and bullets were seated .013" OTL.

Next tried were 80 grain Sierra Spitzer BTs over IMR 4461 Max charge being 40.3 grains but my loads were between 37 and 37.6 grains, bullet .009" OTL. Six rounds fired but again showed very flat primers The next six again showed light primer strikes and would not fire. I've had it with this Axis. Talked to Savage about the problem and they said to send it in to be looked at. Did some checking with Fed Ex and UPS. To send it back to Savage is going to cost me another $65 to shipped it insured. I'm not wasting another penny on this POS. On top of all the firing problems the Weaver scope went belly up early on, elevation quit working so had to replace the scope. This will be the last Axis I ever buy.

You could try just sending the bolt in to them for polishing and any needed new internal parts. I did that with my 2 2012 models. Cost me $5 postage. They were decocking when bolt was pulled to rear. Have worked fine since.

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    I've been running into problems with light primer strikers lately. Problem started after about 100 rounds thru the rifle? Not only am I getting light primer streikes from the FP but when rounds do fire I also get pierced primers! Figure that one out!
    There's an old Dr. adage that a patient with a broken leg can also have measles. You might have two problems, or so much headspace that when it does fire you get pierced primers (excessive chamber pressure). Flat primers is also an indication of overpressure.

Try a 0.025" jump. But that won't solve light strikes.

IMR 4461? Don't find that as a thing
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    There's an old Dr. adage that a patient with a broken leg can also have measles. You might have two problems, or so much headspace that when it does fire you get pierced primers (excessive chamber pressure). Flat primers is also an indication of overpressure.

Try a 0.025" jump. But that won't solve light strikes.

IMR 4461? Don't find that as a thing
    LOL! That should be 4166!

Quote Originally Posted by farmer44mag View Post
    You could try just sending the bolt in to them for polishing and any needed new internal parts. I did that with my 2 2012 models. Cost me $5 postage. They were decocking when bolt was pulled to rear. Have worked fine since.
    I like that idea better than spending another $65 to send the whole rifle to them.

Checked head space with GO and NO GO gauge and head space is just fine. I suspect the FP springs are messed up. What has me stumped is the pierced primers that can occur right after a light primer strike?

I'm going to dig out my old copy of Major Nonte's "Modern Handloading" and check his chapter on primers. He goes into all kinds of causes for various problems.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12