Thread: Model 99 .308 Optics

Model 99 .308 Optics

I recently inherited a 1956 Model 99 EG .308 from my father. He has told me that it was tapped by the gun smith who sold him the rifle new in 1956.
    As for me, I too am a 1956 model and while I have excellent distance vision, I wear reading glasses hence the decision to scope the rifle.
    I will be hunting deer and moose in BC so I am thinking that the majority of the shooting will be in the 150 - 250 yard range. I think that I'll stay with the same 180 grain round that my father used.
    I am considering a Vortex Viper 3-9 x 40 Dead Hold BDC for the gun. I would appreciate any thoughts on these optics or other recommendations you folks might have.
    Thx in advance.

3-9X 40mm is plenty. A fixed 4X or 6X might be better in keeping with the vintage of the rifle. For 150 to 250 yards (my ranges) a 2x-7x would do well, also.

I'm not a fan of Vortex; but many are. I have had decades of good service from Leupold and Nikon. The Nikon BDC is what I have on my current deer rifle (.260 Rem) and also my frequently used farm varmint .223 Rem single shot. I leave the deer rifle set on 6X (to be tweeked as needed if time allows); but use the BDC mostly for varmints and plinking.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

I've had good luck with Vortex over the years, but as Stumpkiller noted other's have had issues with them. Same can be said for most any brand out there that most folks can afford so there's that as well.

I would also agree a good fixed 4x or a 1-4x or 1-6x variable would be a very good option for the distances and game being hunted. Larger targets don't require higher magnification, but a scope with a higher low-end (i.e. 3 or 4x) could make close-in shots more difficult due to limiting your field of view. Only problem there is that most of the low-power variables on the market these days are setup for tactical use on AR-type rifles and thus have big turrets and very busy reticles - something I don't want/need in a hunting scope.

That said, a 2-7x is probably the best happy medium and has the benefit that it's about the only magnification range offered that hasn't been taken over by the tactical trend so you can still get basic hunting reticles and small capped turrets.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Thanks for the reply to my query, your comments have given me food for thought. After spending some time online, I found that one of the things that became very important was the style of the reticle. I would like to have a BDC should I have occasion to do some long range shooting and have found that every manufacturer has their own take. I really like the Swarovski Z3 (3-9 x 42) but alas, my pockets are not quite that deep on this one. I am now leaning toward a Nikon Monarch M5 3-12 x 42 with their new(er?) MK1-MOA reticle. Here is my next thought to sort through; a more period correct scope or the more modern one. The idea is period correct on the 99 and use it as the bush gun that it has alway been and then eventually by a new system designed for primarily long distance. One can never have too many rifles can one? I'll keep you posted.

Basic Member
    TinBC, Sounds like you have kind of already decided things. However, I will add my own .02 as I had a similar debate not long ago. I have a 99e in 308 with the 20 inch barrel. I bought the rifle with a simmons 44 mag scope. Although it seemed to do good enough, I didn't like the balance of it. I ended up going with a Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40 although I wanted something a little more time period correct. I had looked at the Vortex and the lesser Leupolds (fixed 4, 6 and the older Redfield's and Bushnells). because this is going to be used as an elk rifle and potentially by others I made the decision. So far, I love the scope choice. It isn't quite what I wanted in terms of matching the time period but I can see very clearly through it and sighted in to be 2+ inches high at 100, I am good to hold on hair as far as I would want to shoot. It balances great too by the way!!!

Basic Member
    I've never owned a Vortex, but I've owned Leupold, Nikon and Bushnell, and like all of them. I have owned and pondered period scopes, but I prefer modern scopes for a couple of reasons. Even if it's a high end scope, the inert gas will eventually migrate out, and leave you with a potential for fogging. Modern scopes all benefit from Computer-aided optical design & fabrication, and better optical coatings. I like a 3-9 for all the reasons mentioned, but it can be limiting at short range. I take an occasional close range practice shot at 3X just to familiarize myself with a fuzzy sight picture. I have back up irons on my EG, but it's not a quick changeover. I like the theory of a swing-away scope, but I've never tried it. The problem I had with scoping my EG (and a few other rifles) is getting short enough eye relief. I have stumpy arms and a stumpy neck, but I'm not a freak. I would suggest mounting whatever you have to check eye relief before you invest in anything. I selected a Bushnell for my EG only because it has 5 inches of eye relief, but I also have a 1.75 - 4 with similar eye relief for heavy brush hunting.