Thread: Savage Mod. 24 S series 3

Question Savage Mod. 24 S series 3

Hello all,
    My name is Clay and I am a new member. I just purchased a Savage Mod. 24 S series 3. I cannot find anything specific about it. It is a wooden stock and has a 22 Mag upper and a 20 ga. 3" lower. It also has a plastic barrel release in front of the trigger guard. It looks to be around 95% condition. It appears to 70-81 year made but just guessing.
    Can anyone help me be more specific? What does series 3 mean? Do those models have chokes? Can I shoot slugs?
    I have access to different sites about the 24S but they don't match up to my features and say nothing about series 3.
    Thank you very much for anything.
    FWIW I paid 400.00 for it.

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. Unfortunately my Savage is a 1907 pistol that was made back in 1913 so I can't offer much help with your questions.

Nice pistol! Is it in .380?
    I just bought a .30 Rem Model 14 pump. It was designed by Jon Pederson (Pederson Device of WW1) My serial number dates the rifle to 1913. Extremely light, easy to operate and just feels right. Makes my modern rifles feel extra large and clumsy. Can't for coastal blacktail season here in Ca.

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Welcome to the savage family.
    Ackley was right all along

Welcome!

The Model 24's saw quite a few variations and design changes over the years. The more desireable ones have the break-open lever on top like an O/U or SxS shotgun. Other's had the break-open lever as a thumb lever on the side of the receiver. Others had it as a push/slide button on the side of the receiver. And yet others had the setup like yours has.

Unfortunately narrowing down what years used what style is a bit difficult as Savage has always had a habit of not updating their catalog images from year to year. What specific model 24 it was also seems to play a factor as looking at my catalogs from the 1980's the 24V always had the top lever release while most other model 24's are pictured with the bottom release in front of the trigger guard.

As for the Series number/letter, that's just how Savage made not of small internal design changes should the firearm ever come back in for repair or warranty work. Dates and specific info on the different Series changes for all Savage models is pretty much non-existent at this point.

No choke tubes in the older 24's - all of them were made with a fixed choke barrel, most of which were full. Shooting slugs in a full choke barrel generally isn't recommended. Not sure if they ever had choke tubes in the 24F's which were the last generation with synthetic stocks and were discontinued about 10 years ago or so.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain