Thread: Savage FCP-SR?

Savage FCP-SR?

I'm thinking about buying a FCB-SR 24" in 6.5 CM for a long range rifle. I would likely move the bbl and action to a chasis system (maybe Oryx).
    I know Savage has a good reputation for solid, accurate rifles. Is this model consistently accurate? I'm not new to shooting or long range shooting. I am pretty ignorant when it comes to Savage. I'm just looking for a good accurate base rifle. Opinions? Thanks!

Banned
    Pretty much all Savages are decent shooters. Some are exceptional. To be honest though, if you are planning on replacing the stock with a chassis from the get go, there are likely less expensive options. Then again, maybe not depending.

Basic Member
    I agree. If you are going to replace the stock and other parts then why spend extra money on the donor. Get something like a 12FV or other lower price version and start replacing parts.

IMHO, the only reason to spend extra is if the features you want are already included. Then do a comparison of prices. Factory version vs buying a cheaper rifle and price all the components separately. The "nice" thing about Savages is they are all just about equal in accuracy. Biggest differences to look for in a donor are barrel contour and trigger (basic accutrigger, vs varmint version vs target version).

My wife competes with a 10 FCP-SR in 308. We dropped it in an MDT LSS XL chassis and it rings steel at 1000 yards all day so long as she does her part.
    I think you plan is exactly the way to go. That and a quality optic and brake

My 10-fcp-sr 24" barrel in 6.5cm shoots ragged holes @ 100yards with my hand loads out of the box. I put a vortex viper 6-24x50 on it with DNZ Game reaper mounts and tinkered with a couple of loads. My one complaint is how barrel heavy it is. The accustock is stupid light in the back end, which isn't a problem off the bench, but I also hunt with it and it can make shots a bit more work. especially off-hand, which I do my best to avoid in any hunting situation, but sometimes they come up.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

She is getting .3 inch groups at 100 with hand loads. I can't ask for more

Thanks for the replies. Great hearing some positive range reports (impressive)!

The way I figure it I'm better off to get the fcp-sr version (found one for $500). That seems to be about $80 - 100 more than the 12fv. But it comes with the deluxe bold handle, a 20 moa rail and fluted bbl. I'd also have the stock and a $50 mag to sell if I upgrade to a chasis.