Thread: Any lefty alternatives to 110 Stealth Evolution?

Basic Member

Any lefty alternatives to 110 Stealth Evolution?

This will be my first bolt action rifle, so I’m going to cater to my stupid left eye, which I’ve never had to do. I’m right handed in everything except rifles.

I like the chassis guns because I like what they offer without having to modify them. I have too many guns that don’t get enough love and too many other hobbies. I want a lefty rifle that’s good enough out of the box.

I plan on buying the .300 WM. Multiple reasons I like that round. I could go with others if the gun choices necessitate, but I want a big round that will perform multiple roles that I don’t want to go into in this thread. I would do 6mm, 6.5mm, and .308. I’m open to other similar calibers.

I feel like I’ve done my homework. Can anyone advise? Any alternatives, or have I found what I’m looking for?

Basic Member
    There are lots of left handed actions out there. I have 2 Savages and 1 Tikka that I shoot all the time. If you want a two stage trigger, get a Savage. Other wise look elsewhere. I love my Tikka and both Savages and they both have lots to offer. I hate the factory Savage plastic stocks but concede that they shoot ok. The Tikka and Brownings have much nicer stocks. The Remington lefties also have better stocks but not by enough to make you swap over. There are lots of great calibers out there. I shoot a 22-250 fast twist for yardages out to 700. I shoot my 6.5x55 for 700 to 1000 and I shoot my 300WM for 700 to 2500. Decide where you fall in the range and pick a caliber that fits. Cost wise it costs more to shoot the 300 and least to shoot the 22-250 even shooting 90gr SMKs. The 6 Creedmoor is a great choice out to 1200 or maybe even a little further. Just ask the PRS guys.

Basic Member
    While there are a lot of good left handed options out there, that number shrinks quickly if you want a factory chassis rifle. I own a left handed 10BA Stealth in .223 and I think it's a solid product. It was my choice because of the left handed action. I ditched the factory butt stock in favor of a Magpul PRS which comes on the model you are looking at. It's a nice upgrade.

I'm only shoot from a bench and can shoot left or right bolt guns. The nice thing about the Savage chassis is that it's ambidextrous. It has a bolt slot on both sides with a removable plug to fill the empty slot. This gives you the ability to change to a right hand action or sell the chassis to righties in the future if you're ready to move on from it. I actually put my right handed 10T SR in this chassis just for the fun of it and can always switch back in a matter of minutes.

I was disappointed to see selling prices of the 10BA Stealth drop by as much as $250 in the year since I got mine, partly because I bought it poorly. Shop around and make sure you are finding the best deal.

While we can offer opinions, only you will know if you have found what you are looking for. Best of luck with your decision.

Basic Member
    I handled the Tikka TAC A1, Savage Stealth Evo 6.5 CM, and the Ruger Precision.

I’m ordering the Savage in 6.5.

Thanks for the input, gents.

Basic Member
    Well, for some reason my Vortex QR mount doesn’t fit the Savage top rail. No clue why. I’m dumb.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
    Well, for some reason my Vortex QR mount doesn’t fit the Savage top rail. No clue why. I’m dumb.
    In what way is it not fitting? What rail do you have? If you have standard Weaver rail, no Picatinny (aka Mil-STD-1913), style mount will fit.

Edit: Did you end up getting the Stealth Evo? If so, it comes standard with the correct mil-STD-1913 rail. In which case the Vortex mount absolutely will fit. I’m certain something very simple is being overlooked here. If you can explain what is happening, we will be able to help get you squared away.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    In what way is it not fitting? What rail do you have? If you have standard Weaver rail, no Picatinny (aka Mil-STD-1913), style mount will fit.

Edit: Did you end up getting the Stealth Evo? If so, it comes standard with the correct mil-STD-1913 rail. In which case the Vortex mount absolutely will fit. I’m certain something very simple is being overlooked here. If you can explain what is happening, we will be able to help get you squared away.
    Thank you for the feedback.

It seems to sit on it just fine, but the QR clamps will not clamp down all the way. Just barely. It looks like the ground off corners of the gun rail are causing the mount to try to grab too far up the rail instead of the corner nicely fitting into the grooves on the clamps. Just barely doesn’t fit. I will say I’m a pretty strong guy and pushing the clamps harder will probably break them. Plus, it defeats the purpose of being called QR if it’s a nightmare to get off and on.

Basic Member
    User error. I was able to get more slack in the clamps by pushing them in and turning the lock nut. Really stupid of me to give up that early.

Thanks for helping me realize I needed to try harder to figure it out. I feel like an idiot, but a happy one now that my gun is set up.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
    User error. I was able to get more slack in the clamps by pushing them in and turning the lock nut. Really stupid of me to give up that early. Thanks for helping me realize I needed to try harder to figure it out. I feel like an idiot, but a happy one now that my gun is set up.
    That was going to be my next question....did you loosen the quick connect clamps. I have used an American Defense mount for years now, which has the same style clamps. Trust me, you are not the first to overlook that tidbit. I told ya it was likely something simple..just overlooked. Whenever you have an issue that frustrates you, don’t ever think of it as “dumb” to ask here. No such thing. Just give us more info like you did after my comment, and I will guaranty one of us will have an answer.

Hey, great looking rig my friend.