Thread: Help identifying NRA Match rifle

Help identifying NRA Match rifle

New poster here. I picked up a rifle that was advertised as a Savage 19NRA Match rifle that had been stripped down to bare metal by a guy who was going to redo it. He tore it all down and then realized that he bit off more than he knew how to do. I picked it up cheap but now I wonder what exactly I got. The markings are different than any I have seen on here so any help identifying this would be greatly appreciated. After the barrel markings listing the patent dates there is a dash and then in a much larger font, the words SAVAGE - N.R.A. and the under that, MATCH RIFLE.

There were two versions of the Model 19 NRA, the main and most noticeable difference being the stock.

The original 19 NRA's had a military-style stock with finger grooves and a long forearm, whereas the later 19NRA's (sometimes called a 1933) had a more modern target style stock with a wider beavertail forearm

Early 19 NRA

Later 19 NRA
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Cant weight for pictures TLAW. Too bad you don't have access to some of the forums features yet.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Well, I got my photos uploaded to photobucket but now I can’t figure out how to get them to post on here. I have read over the post on how to post pictures and I guess my 60yo brain just can’t figure it out. It looks like my old college computer science class code. If anyone can dumb down the instructions a little I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

"I can't weight", I have no idea where my mind was but "wait" is what I meant.

Try opening your photobucket account. Open the photo you want to post. Right click in the picture boundary for a drop down menu. Click on copy. Go directly to this post and open a reply(if you don't already have one open beforehand), right click in the text menu and click on paste in the menu. Lets see how that goes.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Lets try again.

Holy Cow! It worked.
    Ok, so this is what I ended up with when I purchased what had been advertised as a Savage model 19 NRA Match Rifle. The stock had been cut down at the middle barrel band but it was clear that it had been a full length stock originally. As you can see, there is no magazine, nor any of the associated parts. So, who can tell me which model this actually is?

Basic Member
    It's the 1923 version of the NRA, it has most of the same parts as the 23-A Sporter. It's an earlier one with the inletted trigger guard, I'm not sure if that make a difference for the magazine mounting parts or not.

Cool, thanks. Since I only bought this to get the middle barrel band for my dads rifle I will post some pictures of it once I get it all put back together.