Thread: Action screw

Basic Member

Action screw

Any reason not to uses a stainless steel button head screw that is the threaded The Whole length for an action screw ? I have a ordered some of the savage screws before and the head strips on them.

Have used them several times, the head diameter may need turned down to fit.

Banned
    As long as it fits, it will be fine.

I've used that type screw for years w/o any problems.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Team Savage
    "I've used that type screw for years w/o any problems".

I think that pretty much covers it. Get long ones and cut them to the length YOU WANT.

Counter sunk Stainless Steel to fit my custom made forearm escutcheons, round head to set down in the screw pocket on my wide forearms and Allen head sockets. Pick your poison.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    What torque were you tightening the Savage screws with.

I torque the Accu-stock to 50 in.-lbs. and the plastic factory stocks to 35 in.-lbs.
    I torque my Oryx chassis to 60 in,-lbs. without a problem.

To strip the Allen heads on a Savage action screw, you must have a really strong grip.
    I would have thought you would strip the screw threads before you could strip the Allen insert with the proper bit.

Socket head will fit fine. Most button heads will need to be machined to .375"+.000" -.020" to fit.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    "To strip the Allen heads on a Savage action screw, you must have a really strong grip".

Or a worn out Allen wrench. If worn, grind the base off a bit. (or pick up a new one)

Hand tight (snug). Never had one come loose and never bothered to use a torque wrench. Most of my actions are mounted on V Blocks so it's metal to metal contact with NOTHING in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    "To strip the Allen heads on a Savage action screw, you must have a really strong grip".

Or a worn out Allen wrench. If worn, grind the base off a bit. (or pick up a new one)

Hand tight (snug). Never had one come loose and never bothered to use a torque wrench. Most of my actions are mounted on V Blocks so it's metal to metal contact with NOTHING in between.
    Amen! That's the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Amen! That's the way to go.
    That is what sharpshooter told me years ago also.

By the way how long ago does Nam seem to ya now? Was watching a history channel piece on Hue and the Tet offensive... sorta made me feel somewhat "ancient".

Team Savage
    Stainless Steel action screws on a Stainless Steel action?? How cool in that!! Color coordinated. You can even polish them for that little extra bit of BLING.
    Years back, some new rigs were coming with Stainless Steel barrels and Chrome Molly actions so it's mix and match to your liking.

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    That is what sharpshooter told me years ago also.

By the way how long ago does Nam seem to ya now? Was watching a history channel piece on Hue and the Tet offensive... sorta made me feel somewhat "ancient".
    I'm always amazed when I think how long ago I experienced the "Southeast Asia War Games". Of course I was only 19 y/o. I never experienced the bone numbing fatigue and shear terror or bordom "ground Pounders" experienced as I flew Med Evac with the 902nd out of Clark AB and then Air Rescue with the 37th ARRS at DaNang. One thing I liked about being an air crew member was not being inundated with the petty BS and details that went on with other units. Of course, after I left there and was stationed in Germany, I got to experience all the BS, grass cutting, squadron details, snow removal details at Rhein Main AB until I made E-5,

Banned
    You guys have my respect for going through that horrible time. The war is one thing, but to have a country NOT supporting you...to hear people call you vial things is something I can’t imagine. I’m younger than you Vets, but old enough, & having just enough wisdom to “get it”. I’ve talked to my father often, who served as a Marine in Vietnam ‘69-‘70. And GaCop, someone just like you air lifted my dad after he was cut down by shrapnel in ‘70. And WBM, guys like you covered him while he was on the ground bleeding, saving his life. So my hat’s off to you and others like you guys. Thank you

Thanks Dave. Appreciate it. If your dad is still alive tell him i said "Semper Fi"...i rotated out of the Corps in 70.

I got to experience all the BS
    I hear ya. Got sent back to 3/8 at Lejeune and experienced the same..and by the way "welcome home brother"!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Thanks Dave. Appreciate it. If your dad is still alive tell him i said "Semper Fi"...i rotated out of the Corps in 70.
    He is! And he tells you “Always Faithful” as well my friend. He was part of Fox Company, 2nd Battalion 7th marines. Out of 29 Palms & Camp Pendleton. He actually asked me for your name wbm. You be able to PM me and I’ll give you my email? He has reconnected with many from his battalion in last several years...and goes to a reunion every year. He is very involved with it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    I'm always amazed when I think how long ago I experienced the "Southeast Asia War Games". Of course I was only 19 y/o. I never experienced the bone numbing fatigue and shear terror or bordom "ground Pounders" experienced as I flew Med Evac with the 902nd out of Clark AB and then Air Rescue with the 37th ARRS at DaNang. One thing I liked about being an air crew member was not being inundated with the petty BS and details that went on with other units. Of course, after I left there and was stationed in Germany, I got to experience all the BS, grass cutting, squadron details, snow removal details at Rhein Main AB until I made E-5,
    I like that. A friend was AF in the mid 60's and aircrew. He volunteered to be a gunner, thinking he would go up in slicks. Instead he got Spook gunship duty, the C47 variety. Mainly shoving brass cases out the door and dropping flares by hand. He thought it was pretty cool until they got shot at one night and he realized how thin the aluminum skin was :) Somehow he volunteered for and got into flight school the next month. Spent his next tour in F105's without ever getting shot down.

I had one of those "in between' careers. Jun 1975 (last troops left VN in May) and retired in 95. I was out of combat units when the Kuwait thing came up.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk