Thread: Axis recoil lug protocol?

Basic Member

Axis recoil lug protocol?

I want to up grade my Edge / Axis rebuild to a full recoil lug. What do I do about the notch in the receiver?

Face the receiver flat and square, as if I was "blueprinting" any other action.
    Put on the full lug, nut, headspace and tighten the barrel nut as on any other Savage, ignore the slot/gap.?

Some other way I haven't thought about?

I'm going to pillar and skim bed, with the full size recoil lug, in a Boyd's thumbhole laminate stock.

OK smart pigs, tell me what I don't know...

Paul in da swamp

Basic Member
    Face the slot completely off. It takes about .190" to get full cleanup. Then recut the notch with a 3/16" cutter, aprox. .090" deep.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Thank you. What recoil lug would you recommend? Straight, tapered 3/16" or 1/4"or? ( I usually prefer the tapered 1/4 inch) This I a full on, long range varmint effort.

I've never seen a 3/16" recoil lug bend where the action screws were properly torqued. Most aftermarket lugs Iv'e seen used where .200" and .250".

Clean the face of the action and the barrel nut with fine abrasive and an extremely flat surface, bed the recoil lug property to realize the best accuracy and precision. Truing being the preferred method.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Use the tapered 1/4" lug. The parallel sided lugs are weaker. I have seen lots of 3/16" lugs bent.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Thank you gentlemen. The 6 week wait on the Shaw barrel will give me time to get the machine work and lug ordering done. Oh, what fun it is. Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'

"Rollin' Rollin"... Big bolt keep on turnin lotta powder keep on burnin ....rollin!

Like to know how that Shaw barrel works for ya so keep in touch.

Basic Member
    This is my 5th or 6th Shaw barrel, for myself, several more for customers. 2nd Savage "drop in", from .22 to .45 caliber. Seems to be a good value for the performance achieved. (proper break in is paramount)

I also use Pope and Hart, but as of late, they are getting harder to find. I spec'd 1:9 twist, 26 inch, 25-'06, so the lighter bullets should fly well and the 120 gr. should fly very well. As mentioned, this is a full on effort. Pillar/skim bedded, big recoil lug, blueprinted action and bolt lug contact, cryo treated barrel, in a laminated stock. Has all the chops to be sub 1/2 MOA with handloads.

I think the price of pork is fixin' to go way down hearabouts, Time will tell.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by red caddy 51 View Post
    This is my 5th or 6th Shaw barrel, for myself, several more for customers. 2nd Savage "drop in", from .22 to .45 caliber. Seems to be a good value for the performance achieved. (proper break in is paramount)

I also use Pope and Hart, but as of late, they are getting harder to find. I spec'd 1:9 twist, 26 inch, 25-'06, so the lighter bullets should fly well and the 120 gr. should fly very well. As mentioned, this is a full on effort. Pillar/skim bedded, big recoil lug, blueprinted action and bolt lug contact, cryo treated barrel, in a laminated stock. Has all the chops to be sub 1/2 MOA with handloads.

I think the price of pork is fixin' to go way down hearabouts, Time will tell.
    Are you buying the barrel already cryo treated or sending it out. ?

Basic Member
    Current plan is to flute it some, shorten, re crown and thread the muzzle. check accuracy, then send it out, to quantify any improvement.