Thread: Need advice on shipping 116 long action!

Question Need advice on shipping 116 long action!

Hi I’m not sure this is the place for this question but here I go. I need to know how to ship a action or 2 from home to the person that would be the buyer. I know I need to ship it to the buyers FFL but do I need to do anything special on my end? Like labeling the shipping box special or anything else. I will be listing everything in the for-sale in the classifieds when I understand about the shipping for the 116 and 111 actions. Thank you in advance for the help.
    YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID !

Team Savage

I bought an action via private party off the classifieds and he shipped to my FFL via UPS. Quick FYI - if you intend to sell in Classifieds you must become a Savage Team member.

Banned
    You need to take it to an FFL to ship. You can NOT ship to an FFL yourself. You will have to pay a fee, but don’t worry about boxing it. They will do that.

I say again, DO NOT ship it yourself. That’s a NO-NO!

I am a member but I only have usps where I live.Thanks for your reply
    YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID !

I just found the thread Shipping an Action wow a lot of different opinions but sounds like with a copy of the FFL to show the postmaster I should be able to ship an action. Boots Maguire if you see this please give me your opinion and I would welcome anyone’s opinion on this subject. Thanks
    YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID !

Banned
    No shop will give you their FFL. And any FFL WILL NOT receive a firearm from YOU as a private citizen.

Opinions do not matter. There is simply what IS! Hope it works out for you

I don’t have an FFL any longer, but my local dealer and other dealers will often accept long guns from non-FFL holders for me provided they include their drivers license. You often see listings on GB by individuals selling rifles with the caveat that your FFL dealer must accept shipments from an individual. My dealer will email or fax his FFL to the selling party.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    And any FFL WILL NOT receive a firearm from YOU as a private citizen.

Opinions do not matter. There is simply what IS! Hope it works out for you
    Dave, This is not true. Many FFL's will accept a long gun or long gun action shipped from an individual. Most of them that do will require a copy of the shippers drivers license, the FFL liscense number for the carrier and a note indicating the name of the person the gun was sold too.

The Horses Mouth...............

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...postal-service
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Oh I never said it was federal law. But it is policy among almost every FFL, for transfer that is. You can send YOUR own gun, say for instance a repair..., but I have yet to find an FFL that will accept shipment for transfer to another party. Sorry, to the point of saying it’s a No-No, my meaning was professional ettiquite in the FFL world. Was the case when I was in the business, and every single firearm I have ever shipped! I would call the place you intend to ship to.., and if they accept from private party FOR TRANSFER, I’ll eat my words for lunch.

LOL, get your toothbrush. State laws may vary but I can tell you that it happens hundreds if not thousands of times a day. USPS does it everyday all day long. Read the firearms classifieds on some of the big forums. It is regular to read "FFL must accept from an individual".
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    You need to take it to an FFL to ship. You can NOT ship to an FFL yourself. You will have to pay a fee, but don’t worry about boxing it. They will do that.

I say again, DO NOT ship it yourself. That’s a NO-NO!
    That's incorrect.

Any individual can ship a firearm to an FFL. In the case of a sale such as this, the seller needs to do two things. First, make sure the receiving FFL holder will accept shipment from a non-licensed sender. Some do, some don't (state laws may dictate this to some degree). If they do, you (the seller) need to included a scanned copy of your drivers license in the box with the action or firearm as the receiving FFL holder needs this for his/her records.

If the receiving FFL won't accept shipment from a non-licensed person then you will have to ship it through an FFL holder as Dave indicated above. I would recommend having proper box and packaging for the item when you take it to the FFL so they don't have to try to find something to ship it in. Just don't seal it up with tape because they will need access to the serial number to log it into their books.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage

Have to agree with most above Dave. I contacted my FFL in advance and all that was required to accept from private party was the seller's contact information and a copy of his driver's license. As indicated above, may be different in some states or with some FFLs, so check local procedures if planning to do this. In my case, it was simple as can be.

Thanks J.Baker,and everyone else thanks for your help to! This is my plan I am going to post these in the for sale classifieds on savage shooters from an individual so buyer will know they have to accept from an individual and I will send it to their FFL with a copy of my Drivers License and buyers information in the box USPS Priority mail insured. Guys I am going to list all of my Savage parts to as I am no longer physically able to shoot high powered rifles. This is sad for me but I am going to put the money back into old savage 22s so I can still enjoy shooting it just won’t be so loud any more and maybe that’s a good thing as l really enjoy shooting my savage 17 semi auto tmr. Thanks again if you see anything wrong with my plans please let me know.
    Last edited by blackbart338-06; 08-02-2019 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Not finished
    YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID !

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbart338-06 View Post
    Thanks J.Baker,and everyone else thanks for your help to! This is my plan I am going to post these in the for sale classifieds on savage shooters from an individual so buyer will know they have to accept from an individual and I will send it to their FFL with a copy of my Drivers License and buyers information in the box USPS Priority mail insured. Guys I am going to list all of my Savage parts to as I am no longer physically able to shoot high powered rifles. This is sad for me but I am going to put the money back into old savage 22s so I can still enjoy shooting it just won’t be so loud any more and maybe that’s a good thing as l really enjoy shooting my savage 17 semi auto tmr. Thanks again if you see anything wrong with my plans please let me know.
    Plan is fine.
    Contact buyer's FFL and request a photocopy. Some may be finicky about it, the copy I use for these purposes has "Informational Only, Not Valid for Transfers" on it. Some may black out a portion of the FFL number. If licensee does not want to provide you even a redacted copy, ask for the first three and last five digits from their license- this is all to run an FFL E-Z Check which is a good idea to confirm license is current and active- and you have a permanent record that you shipped to a licensee.

https://fflezcheck.atf.gov/fflezcheck/

USPS Priority is definitely the best option, and the only way I ship- including gunsmithing/repairs to non-licensees. Cheapest, and fastest...no "red tape"- you do not need to disclose or notify USPS that you are shipping a firearm to an FFL.

Common carriers have additional regulations, UPS requires you ship from a distribution center (no "UPS Stores") and notify them you are shipping a long gun to an FFL. Pain in the ass...
    Remember that if shipping parts, only the serialized receiver is the "firearm". No other parts need be shipped to a licensee.

Some UPS locations simply will not ship a firearm, just will not. Go to your USPS and follow their instructions. Many, many FFL's do accept shipments from an individual if the firearm is going to someone they do business with. My local post office didn't want anything "firearm" "rifle" "gun" written on the shipping box, plain wrapped paper.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbo333 View Post
    Some UPS locations simply will not ship a firearm, just will not. Go to your USPS and follow their instructions. Many, many FFL's do accept shipments from an individual if the firearm is going to someone they do business with. My local post office didn't want anything "firearm" "rifle" "gun" written on the shipping box, plain wrapped paper.
    I do need to correct...I misspoke on the notification requirement with UPS- it is only for handguns.
    You definitely do not want to make a reference on the packaging that the shipment contains a firearm, and this is a requirement with UPS. Might as well write "GUN INSIDE-STEAL ME" on the outside.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-cente.../firearms.page

Basic Member
    You can legally ship a long gun or bare receiver through USPS. It MUST go to an FFL in the buyers state of residence. Make sure the FFL will accept transfers from individuals, some do and some do not. It is perfectly legal to ship as an individual to an FFL, I have done it dozens of times.

If it is going to a resident of the same state you are a resident of you do not need to ship to an FFL. In state sales, even those going through the mail, are treated like a face to face transaction.