Thread: Is the Savage 110 more common than the axis series ?

Is the Savage 110 more common than the axis series ?

Hi folks,
    I check the 'Axis' section on this forum everyday. On many days, there are not any new posts.
    I started looking at the '110' section and there are multiple new posts every day. So, do more people have 110's ?

Basic Member
    Yes. The 110 has been in production since 1958 and is of much higher quality with not near the plethora of problems of the Axis product line that has plagued Savage.

Banned
    What he said.

The 110 has been around forever! It’s the United States’ longest running production rifle, and as such, America’s Rifle! (Ok, I added the last part) It’s just a numbers thing partner. Anyone who has been here for some time, very likely had a 110 first. Or, as in my case, ONLY have owned 110’s. (Well.. a couple 111’s, couple 10’s, and 116 to be precise, LOL).

Don’t let it get to ya. Still part of the family… just more the “Red Headed Step Child”, so to speak. Every family’s got one. J/K

To add to what has been said. Aftermarket support for the AXIS is even less than the anemic support for the 10/110. With the addition of a expensive trigger system and new stock the Axis is a very capable rifle. If the Owners of savage don't address the firing pin spring issue on the new 110's there is negligible difference.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    To add to what has been said. Aftermarket support for the AXIS is even less than the anemic support for the 10/110. With the addition of a expensive trigger system and new stock the Axis is a very capable rifle. If the Owners of savage don't address the firing pin spring issue on the new 110's there is negligible difference.
    Firing pin spring issues? What have I missed Robin?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Firing pin spring issues? What have I missed Robin?
    All of the post about the new axis style firing pin spring issues. Broken springs and failure to fire.

Thanks for the information guys.
    That explains it !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    All of the post about the new axis style firing pin spring issues. Broken springs and failure to fire.
    Ahh.. ok..yeah, just making sure I hadn't inadvertently missed something. I’ve seen a few but haven’t really thought it being that big a problem until now. I’d remedy that problem right quick if I was using that style. With a little Chrome-Silicon & Flat Wire action. But you know I’m a adjustable spring guy.

Someone give me the dimensions of the stock spring and I find a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Ahh.. ok..yeah, just making sure I hadn't inadvertently missed something. I’ve seen a few but haven’t really thought it being that big a problem until now. I’d remedy that problem right quick if I was using that style. With a little Chrome-Silicon & Flat Wire action. But you know I’m a adjustable spring guy.

Someone give me the dimensions of the stock spring and I find a replacement.
    Hopefully someone is listening in. I bet you could order in bulk and help some folks out.

Then we could get some of the new style firing pins made out of Titanium or S7. At that point im in for a Ruger American style cocking ramps and assembly for Savages.

Banned
    Ya know, I haven’t played with one those yet, but I keep hearing people talk about. This Ruger American Rifle being the cats meow for an inexpensive option. And punching way above its weight class. Maybe I’ll have to look into them a little more. I’ve been fairly fond of some Rugers over the years, but never a big enthusiast.

Dual cocking ramps with rollers to travel up and down the ramp rather than polished surfaces on the cocking piece.

Banned
    Sometimes I wish I had more of “business” philosophy. I had ideas of replacement small parts years ago. At least the Aftermarket IS growing in the Savage field, slow as it might be. Sure, I had to make my own Firing Pin & scavenge a Flat-Wire Chrome Silicon spring from another platform, but we have access to Bolt Heads & Sleeves, Steel & Ti bolt handles, many different styles of Barrel Nuts & even an indestructible Ti BAS, like I just got- beautiful piece of machining! The choice of stocks & Chassis is very wide now, with a flavor for everyone. And scope bases of different types & materials are plentiful. All that is really needed is a world class trigger.

Basic Member
    The problem is I just have a hard time spending money on my Axis. It cost so little that anything like a good trigger or barrel just seems like too much to 'waste' on the less expensive action.

If I am spending good money on something it will be a 110 style action, or a 700 pattern action.

Even then, there are some good production guns that can be had for less than the cost of a build so it presents a challenging choice.

Right now I am considering a new barrel for my Axis. But, I just can't see spending the money on a Krieger so will go with one of the less expensive aftermarket ones.

And then there is the case that even a new barrel approaches the cost of a new rifle.

The problem is I just have a hard time spending money on my Axis. It cost so little that anything like a good trigger or barrel just seems like too much to 'waste' on the less expensive action.
    Yep. All three of my Axis rifles are pretty accurate so I don't bother with expensive upgrades.

By the way Charlie. No rain at at all up here in almost 3 months....BUT....We had at least 10 clouds today! Exciting stuff. Actually I'm exaggerating...more like 20 or 30.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post

If I am spending good money on something it will be a 110 style action, or a 700 pattern action.

Even then, there are some good production guns that can be had for less than the cost of a build so it presents a challenging choice.

Right now I am considering a new barrel for my Axis. But, I just can't see spending the money on a Krieger so will go with one of the less expensive aftermarket ones.

And then there is the case that even a new barrel approaches the cost of a new rifle.
    Very good points, but remember Charlie… there are many out there(like some children on Snipershide-out forum), who say the same thing about the 110 platform. I’ve even heard one or two say it here. This rebuild I’ve been doing the last months… I’ve invested a fair bit of dough into it; much more than I did the first time building this Action up. With my adoration for Titanium parts, a high end Chassis, etc. And these people think it’s a waste. Not me! And not for ANY rifle, imo. Now, there’s nothing wrong with having a “beater” rifle. But I like making my firearms MINE!

Basic Member
    I agree Dave. Even my 12BVSS was 'cheap' compared to many. If I put a Krieger or Bartlein barrel on it, the cost would be over half the cost of a new rifle.

wbm, yep. We had one of those 'mud rains' here this week. We are seeing some clouds and the mountains are getting a tiny bit of rain. And it is boing over 100F almost every day now. Went shooting yesterday and barrel got hot after 10 rounds....and stayed hot...at 6am!!

Basic Member
    I agree Dave. Even my 12BVSS was 'cheap' compared to many. If I put a Krieger or Bartlein barrel on it, the cost would be over half the cost of a new rifle.

wbm, yep. We had one of those 'mud rains' here this week. We are seeing some clouds and the mountains are getting a tiny bit of rain. And it is boing over 100F almost every day now. Went shooting yesterday and barrel got hot after 10 rounds....and stayed hot...at 6am!!
    We haven't seen rain since February here in Metro Phoenix but there was some north and also east up in the mountains a few days ago so the Monsoon is getting ready to kick off. We are supposed to get some rain on Saturday but that's days away and can change.

Team Savage
    Thinking the 110/10, 111/11, etc. will have more aftermarket parts than the Axis EVER will.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    We haven't seen rain since February here in Metro Phoenix but there was some north and also east up in the mountains a few days ago so the Monsoon is getting ready to kick off. We are supposed to get some rain on Saturday but that's days away and can change.
    We are keeping out fingers crossed that the monsoons will come sooner this year. Starting to lose hope :)

I grew up in Phx. Many of my relatives still live in the valley. Mom and Dad (and Granddad) all taught high school in the metro area. Dad's family moved there in 1927 and Mom was born in Globe. Her dad emigrated there from Montenegro in 1904.

Basic Member
    We are keeping out fingers crossed that the monsoons will come sooner this year. Starting to lose hope :)

I grew up in Phx. Many of my relatives still live in the valley. Mom and Dad (and Granddad) all taught high school in the metro area. Dad's family moved there in 1927 and Mom was born in Globe. Her dad emigrated there from Montenegro in 1904.
    Globe was a hustling place back them. I have an old friend who grew up there and his family owned a bar. He's Italian but I think he was born here. One or possibly both parents were from Italy.

Basic Member
    Yep, copper mines took a lot of people to run back then. Now days Miami is almost a ghost town. Globe has become more of a tourist town. I guess the Phelps Dodge sale to Freeport has been good for them as well. They ended up with most of the mines in AZ and NM.

Grandfather started in the mines in Bisbee, then moved to Globe. Gave up being a miner after a strike. He had a TINY cafe on Broad st until he retired. The mines attracted a lot of immigrants from Europe in the early 1900's. Globe was about 1/4 slav (Serbian and Croatian).

Keeping on topic here, I bit the bullet and bought a Shilen barrel in 6mmBR today. Northland had one in stock and is sending it out tomorrow. Then I 'had' to buy the tools, dies, bullets and brass. That ended up more than the barrel by quite a bit :) At least I have powder and primers :) Will probably put this on my 12BVSS and put the .308 barrel on my Axis.