Thread: bsa contender

shooter028

bsa contender

Just picked up a BSA contender 8-32x50 (or at least I think its a 50).
    I got it for 30$ at a garage sale. I'm thinking this might be overkill for my mark II BTV since i never shoot it past 150 yards.
    What are yalls thoughts?

Re: bsa contender

I think you'll find clarity and resolution at 32 power will be terrible. Your best clarity will probably be in the 20X range. BSA ranks at the bottom of scope quality but may do well on a light recoil rim fire rifle. Heck, for $30 ya can't go wrong even if it doesn't hold up!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Team Savage

You should know that BSA scopes are junk! Anybody here will tall you that. :D
    Back it down to maybe 10 powder and go for it. And my guess is it's probably a x 44. The x 50 was on a earlier model scope that you don't see for sale.
    I just found one in a fixed 36 X 50. Works slick on my 22 BR. My 5 other BSA scopes also work great. But remember, the BSA scopes are all junk.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Southern Shooter

Went into large retail sporting goods store.I picked up a BSA Catseye(their new model) 4x16x44 side focus,looked thru it,couldn't put it down-when you pick it up and inspect it,you can feel the quality,so i bought it.When they say 4in eye relief they mean it,even on the highest power(16X),the brightest scope i have ever seen in this $100 price range.New pull out to adjust turrets are nice,won't shift under recoil or from accidentally touching or bumping it.Going to put it on my DPMS bull barrel AR.These are no comparison to the older Catseye scopes.I'm a FFL with a storefront,and could have ordered it a few bucks cheaper,but didn't want to wait and i said before i couldn't put it down.Read a few reviews from others now that i see it for my self--i'm impressed

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop
    I think you'll find clarity and resolution at 32 power will be terrible. Your best clarity will probably be in the 20X range. BSA ranks at the bottom of scope quality but may do well on a light recoil rim fire rifle. Heck, for $30 ya can't go wrong even if it doesn't hold up!
    I'm going with this opinion. I have one on a .22RF.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor