Thread: ER Shaw Kits from Midway

ICUDIEN

ER Shaw Kits from Midway

Anybody see these? They seem like good deals. And does anyone have any experience with ER Shaw? My dad has a couple of ars with their barrels but wondering if anyone has had one on a bolt gun.

Re: ER Shaw Kits from Midway

They are ok. About on par with factory or Adams and Bennett barrels.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

I have one on a 03 Springfield action in 257 Weatherby and it shoots great . I am loading the 90gr Sierra hpbt .

Basic Member

I got a Shaw kit from Sportman's Guide several years ago on clearance. It was a 22-250. I mainly got it for the gauges and the barrel nut wrench. The barrel was rough as could be. I pushed dry patch thought it and it was shredded on the other side. I did a 1000 strokes of JB Paste before I ever mounted. It didn't like the 50s, but it would shot Nosler 40gr BT great with H380. The last time I shot it, it agg. 5 groups of 5 at 100 yd in the 0.4s. Several 0.3s and one high 0.6 to open up the agg. I was shocked at the performance. Good deals for the money in my opinion. Tim

rossman40

ER Shaw and Douglas made a mint providing barrels for sporterizing military rifles back in the 50s and 60s. ER Shaw then made a bunch rifling shotgun slug barrels when everybody jumped on the bandwagon. Adams and Bennet doesn't even make rifle barrels anymore, they just buy over runs, seconds or strike a deal during slow times.

Baryngyl

I got an E.R. Shaw kit from Brownells for $212.49 after shipping, it came with the barrel, wrench, go/no-go gauges, and some cleaning paste and oil.
    I have it installed and test fired but have not got a scope on it yet so have not been able to shoot it for groups and accuracy.
    It seems very smooth and mirror bright inside, patches pushed through very easily, no snagging or tearing of the patches at all.

Michael Grace

Team Savage

I bought a Shaw barrel in 6mm Rem and it shoots great and cleans easy. When i want another barrel i'll be calling them again.
    Stu

Basic Member

I had ER Shaw make one for my Ruger M77 MKII and it shoots great and cleans easily. It may not be a match winning barrel but for me it does exactly what I ask of it and it's very accurate. By the way, I thought shaw made the Adams and Bennett barrels.?

In too was under the impression that Shaw made the A&B barrels?
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

rossman40

Since Larry bought up Adams & Bennet they no longer make barrels. They will buy over runs from ER Shaw, Wilson and sometimes Douglas or have them made when those companies are looking for fill in work to stay busy. Same way with Fajan stocks, everything is outsourced to other stock makers.

efw

I purchased one of those Shaw packages from Brownells a couple of winters back that had all the tools needed for something like $220. I replaced a factory 270 WCF barrel on a 110 with one chambered to 338-06, though the "heavy magnum" taper they run it a bit much. I had it trimmed to 22" from 24, put a recessed target crown on it, inlet the barrel channel to freefloat, bedded the action in marine tex, and ran the Tubb Final Finish system through it before doing anything else.

That barrel shoots extraordinarily well. Whether its 180 gr NBTs for deer, 215 gr SGKs for elk, or 250 gr Barnes O & SGKs for pretty much anything on the continent, it is right around MOA at 100 yards. Better yet, it puts several of my preferred loads into the same POI.

I've been told by someone in the know that A&B runs Shaw seconds. I have an F34 taper A&B ($90?) on a Czech '98 action chambered to 257 AI which, like the 338-06, is way heavier than I'd like, but also shoots extraordinarily well, putting several preferred loads (75s @ 3600 fps, 100 gr Int & Speer HPs at 3300, and 100 gr NBTs @ 3000 fps) into the same POI and MOA (NBTs) or sub-MOA (the others).

While I'm not likely to do any serious builds with either of these brands of barrels, I'd not shun them either.

Basic Member

I thought I'd dig up this post and tell my ER Shaw story.

Since I got a Pdog trip planned I wanted to take a .223 so I ordered a kit from Midway and sold off the wrench as I have one already.I put tha barrel on and after touching up the threads a little bit,fired three rounds and cleaned it.
    Got my scope back on and zero'd at 150yards. I then shot at 300 and noticed while the wind was making the group open up to about 2.5" the vertical was just under 1.5" put about 40 round through it then went home and cleaned it,hardly any blue at on on patches with Sweets 7.62.

I got out today and reconfirmed my zero and 300 yard then spotted a rock at 630yards.the wind was pretty gusty and all over the place but after about 5 shots I was right on with elevation and close on wind. It took roughly 6 mils. up and started out at 3 mils windage to get on target going all the way to 4.5mils right before a rain blew in.After the rain the wind died off again and was back around 3mils.

I shot the crap out of that thing today firing well over 120 rounds without cleaning at that rock hitting it many times in that nasty wind,elevation was usually right on just had to get the wind right. I come home and cleaned it and while it had alot of carbon fouling I didn't see but just a hint of light blue on any patches.My factory barrels would have been heavy blue-green after that. I don't know if it is the barrel or I just got lucky on the first load tried but it shoots great. 22.5g RL10x with 55g midway dogtowns and Wolf primers. No chrono speed as I was having too much fun with that rock to stop and change my set-up.

I would buy another one for sure for the money if I knew it would shoot like this one does.