Thread: Savage's New A17 Mach 2

Savage's New A17 Mach 2

Thoughts?

I'm a bit surprised to see Savage launch this given how little interest there seems to be for the little Mach 2 round. First launched in 2004 on the heals of the much more successful 17 HMR, the smaller sibling just never took off like it's bigger brother. In fact, by 2006 most manufacturers had reduced the number of models it was offered in to just one or two as it just wasn't selling. Combine that with the fact that it's the last on the list for ammo production when demand peeks - as we saw post Sandy Hook.

To me the little Mach 2 is a lot like the 17 and 22 Hornet in that it has a small, cult-like following for die-hard fans who swear by it, while the rest of the shooting world just doesn't see the point in it.

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

The 17 mach 2 always intrigued me, but I never got to shoot one. Several years ago I had a Savage 17 hmr and I shot it a bit, but sold it to a friend who liked it more. I never really missed it as I'm more of a 22 mag fan. Now if Savage would produce an A22 22 magnum FV SR, I'd be breaking open my piggy bank. How does the 17 mach 2 compare to the 17 hmr in power and accuracy? The mach 2 ammo seems very reasonably priced at online retailers that I have seen.

Basic Member
    I built a 17 Mach 2, put a threaded Lilja barrel on a Ruger 10/22, bought 10,000 rounds of Eley ammo for $750.00, put my suppressor on it, then played hell on the gopher population of Western Montana. Great cab gun except for brass going down the defroster vents. Good for 200 yards using one of the first BSA HMR scopes.