Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you shoot?

Basic Member

Where do you shoot?

I’m curious to know about where all of you are shooting at. I’m not interested in the location of your range but more just what type of range it is, public vs. private, pay vs. free, what distances you can shoot, etc. etc.

I shoot at several public DNR ranges in NW Indiana, both within an hour’s drive or less. They both have 25 yd pistol ranges, 50 yd and 100 yd rifle ranges. One of them has a rifle berm at 200 yds. One is free and the other has a $7/hr fee. One is open to the elements and the other has benches under roof. Both are supervised by a range officer, well run, and well maintained.

Recently, I ventured a couple of hours into SE Wisconsin to a public commercial range that has rifle berms at 100/200/300 yards. It was my first attempt at 300 yds which was a lot of fun.

One of these days, I would like to take a few days off work and make a road trip somewhere where I can access a public range for some 500+ yd shooting at something a little more fun to hit than paper.

Basic Member
    In San Diego, California...locations are few and far between. Mostly indoor ranges up to 100 yards at most. Anything outdoors is usually BLM or on indian reservations. Cost? Roughly $10-$20/hour per shooting lane.

Private club here in NW Ohio. Pistol range has berms at 7, 15, 25 and 50 yards. Rifle range has berms at 50, 100 and 200 yards. Both rifle and pistol ranges have covered bench houses with back walls to keep the wind at bay.

Not sure where you are in NW Indiana, but you might want to check out this range just south of LaGrange.

https://youngslongshot.com/
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Private club here in NW Ohio. Pistol range has berms at 7, 15, 25 and 50 yards. Rifle range has berms at 50, 100 and 200 yards. Both rifle and pistol ranges have covered bench houses with back walls to keep the wind at bay.

Not sure where you are in NW Indiana, but you might want to check out this range just south of LaGrange.

https://youngslongshot.com/
    I'm near Chicago. That range near LaGrange looks perfect and would less than two hours from here. I'll give them a call, thanks for the tip.

I see you are in the great state of Ohio. I'm a Buckeye native myself, born and raised in Sandusky County about 20 miles SE of Toledo.

Across long flat fields in eastern NC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    Off my deck targets out to 300yds

I walk down into the woods a few hundred yards for the benefit or my next-door neighbors and the family across the road.

There is a clear-cut 100 yard straghtaway there. If I really want to play I go another couple hundred yards to the powerline that cuts across the back of my woods. I can do 600 yards there if I feel ambitious enough to walk targets out. Usually that is at previously placed rocks.

I have shot off the back deck many times - but I usually reserve that for varmints and farm pests rather than casual shooting of center-fires.

My "pistol range" is a creek that runs across the property and I get down in the "gully" and pop away at targets of opportunity. Gongs, an old propane tank, cans, etc.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Up here in the PNW I have a spot about 25 minutes from my house where some old logging roads get me back far enough that I can reach 450 yards, If I drive about 1.5 hours south I have access to my actual shooting range (membership) that has a pistol range, and a rifle range out to 200 yards. From there I can also venture up to another old logging road and can reach right out to just short of 1000 yards. That spot is a little tricky too, with strange winds that wrap around the top of the landing and also blows straight up the canyon from left to right. I don't get out to that one very often, but it has improved my wind reading a bit.

Basic Member
    hay field on 100 acre farm. my buddy has a farm couple miles from my house. 200yds, sometimes 300yds depending on crops in the next field.

Basic Member
    A thread like this popped up on another forum a while back and was pretty interesting to read through.

This is my spot for shooting mid range out to about 900 yards. It's a lot nicer in the summer!

This is for the really long stuff. I shot out a 338 SnipeTac barrel plinking at the 2542 yard target. I never did get a hit at the 4524 yard spot. From different positions around that valley I can get various ranges from 1200 yards to the 4928 yards. I need to build a bigger gun though. The Savage based guns very rarely come out to play at the 2542 yard spot and even the 338 Snipetac was running out of steam past 2600 yards.

I have various other spots scattered around for shooting inside of 750 yards.

Basic Member
    For a long time (15-16 years) there was a private owned shooting range about 10 min from my house. They had a rifle range to 500 yards, a 50 yard pistol range, and 5 different skeet/trap stations. It was very nice. But they closed about a year or two ago.
    I found another private range about 45 min away from me that goes to 200 yards. it is not too bad, but not as god as the other one was.
    However I have recently bought 9.5 acres of land I will be moving to. It has a nice wooded valley in it that is a perfect 100 yards long. I have been working on the property for about a year now, getting it ready to move to, and hopefully I will be moving in the next couple months. I am very excited. I already have a makeshift bench and target stand and have been using it some over the last few months.

Team Savage

Out the door of my shop up to 364yds on my own property.

Quote Originally Posted by Oystershooter View Post
    In San Diego, California...locations are few and far between. Mostly indoor ranges up to 100 yards at most. Anything outdoors is usually BLM or on indian reservations. Cost? Roughly $10-$20/hour per shooting lane.
    Is the range out in Julian closed now? I used to go there when I was based in SD in the Navy; of course that was eons ago in 1983.

I have a 100 yard range on my property, and I am a member of a private range about 45 minutes away that has everything from 75 yard pistol/carbine, and rifle from 100 to 1250.

I belong to Sac Valley Sportsman's Association and also Lincoln Rifle Club. Sac Valley has numerous ranges with the longest at 1,000 yards. LINCOLN HAS RANGES OF 100, 200 and a single lane to 300 yards.

I also shoot on BLM land and or the National Forest ground in the Sierra Mountains. I practice to 1,500 yards. My long range rifles include: Savage 110 LRH in 6.5x284 Norma mounted in a MDT LSS Chassis; 10BA Stealth in 6.5CM; AR10 in 6.5CM with 24" E Arthur Brown fluted heavy barrel; AR15 in 224 Valkyrie with 24" E Arthur Brown fluted heavy barrel. All of these rifles shoot 1/2 moa or better.

I use the 6.5x284 Norma and the 224 Valkyrie out to 1500 yards. I get first round hits on 14" steel circle 9 of 10 times. I shoot the 6.5CM rifles out to1200 yards. I typically get first round hits on a 10" metal circle with both 6.5CM rifles. All rifles except the 10 BA Stealth are custom built by me.

I try to practice twice a month with 20 rounds for each rifle. My equipment includes Vortex 4.5-24x50 Strike Eagle Scopes on each rifle. My Spotting scope is a 60X Vortex Viper, my rangefinder is a Vortex 1800, I use a Kestrel bluetooth weather station coupled to my Android using Applied Ballistics App.

Basic Member
    I go to the Police range here. They have a pistol range from 7yds to 50yds, archery range to 75yds, skeet range and rifle range from 50yds to 200yds. The pistol and rifle ranges are covered shooting area with the targets in the open. They charge a reasonable fee per year with unlimited hours.

Basic Member
    At the Lake House go to Gun Club 30 miles away....have up to 600 yard range open 7 days a week 9:30 am too dark.....At the UP house out the back door 150 yards or down the old grade as far as I can see....

At the in-laws they have a 100 yard range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't shoot in my home state, the Peoples Republic of Illinois cause I can't afford to pay the fee. I do have family where I can shoot out to about 100 yards. We live close to the Mississloppy river and in relationalso to Missouri, and there are several public MoDNR ranges within 45 minutes. We generally shoot at one of three that have a 25 yard lane, a 50 and a 100. They don't provide a range officer, but everyone I have ever encountered at these ranges treat them the same as we. Everyone is courteous, considerate and very professional about using the range. Technically they are first come first serve, but everyone tries to make room for anyone else who show up. Cooperation is the norm, turns at firing are taken followed by everyone checking their target/ placing new targets. Then we start the rotation again. It is a statement to the attitudes of we who choose to support the 2nd amendment. There are also a few public ranges in the same area that charge a small fee per day to shoot that we are going to start frequenting.

Basic Member
    Where I live I'm blessed.
    Any public land and there are millions of public acres , I can shoot.
    Miles if I had a gun that could shoot that far.
    Mostly I practice at 600 our less, on public land you can't drive off road and can't shoot down a road.
    It takes most of your day walking out to check targets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	316.9 KB 
ID:	6655
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	6656

Home range is "ECLS" in Erie Pa. 2 rifle ranges and out to 300 yards,
    11 pistol pits with the longest at 65 yards, Archery field to 50 yards,
    and trap range with 4 house's next to the club house. Come visit and
    help me cut the grass !! This time of year the trap shooters are using
    the snow blower.....LOL Upper 300 yard range has a covered pavilion
    on a concrete slab, with 6 heavy benches. Range Officer and Director.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Shoot to 50 yards in back yard, walk 5 minutes and have +200 yards in a hay field. All I need, the hay field is the longest hunting shot possible on my land.

Basic Member
    I have 3 places for the bulk of my shooting but living where I do I can shoot many places within a 1/2 hour.

I belong to a gun club.

I have some coal company land which isn't bad.

And I have my own place.

Basic Member
    Out the roll-up door of my shop on my property also in eastern NC. Long, flat , open fields during the cold months. 50-1100 yds or so. Once crops are in the fields, I'm down to only 75 yards to shoot. So I switch over to rim fire. Grew up in rural areas on farms most of my life, never seen or visited a range in my years but someday I would like to and see what others are doing. I'm sure I would enjoy it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast