Thread: Misfires with Re barreled Md 111

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Misfires with Re barreled Md 111

Okay guys, I have put together a 338-06 with a Adams and Bennett barrel and a older flat-backed model 111. I have taken it to the range twice now and put roughly thirty rounds of handloads down the tube. Each of the times, I have had one misfire. It appears to be a light primer strike and I did inspect the rounds and did fire them. For the record, they both shot into the same group so I do not believe it to be a loading issue. I am concerned with this as I plan to use this rifle this fall on elk. What things can I do to pinpoint the issue?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearlodge10 View Post
    Okay guys, I have put together a 338-06 with a Adams and Bennett barrel and a older flat-backed model 111. I have taken it to the range twice now and put roughly thirty rounds of handloads down the tube. Each of the times, I have had one misfire. It appears to be a light primer strike and I did inspect the rounds and did fire them. For the record, they both shot into the same group so I do not believe it to be a loading issue. I am concerned with this as I plan to use this rifle this fall on elk. What things can I do to pinpoint the issue?
    If it is a light primer strike it's pretty easy to diagnose.. really not many culprits could be responsible... weak spring, firing pin wear or size problem, case seating to deep in chamber or loose

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Banned
    Bingo! What Ted said.

Basic Member
    Thanks guys, so rookie question follows suit. How do I determine if it is a spring/firing pin issue or one of chamber dimensions?

Basic Member
    If it's first time firing, it's most likely a case sizing issue resulting in too much headspace. I've never encountered a weak firing pin spring, but insufficient firing pin travel will cause misfires.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    If it's first time firing, it's most likely a case sizing issue resulting in too much headspace. I've never encountered a weak firing pin spring, but insufficient firing pin travel will cause misfires.
    In both cases, the misfires occurred well into the range session. Probably round 12 and 4 respectfully.

Basic Member
    It is really easy to over size your cases so I would look into that and check your firing pin protrusion. I would also listen to everything "sharpshooter" has to say.

If you hand load and do not have a way to check the case dimension from base to shoulder of the case(case head space) this is more than likely your issue. You should be .003" or less within a fired case head space dimension. If you have fired cases where the primers are proud, this is another sign your cases are shorter than the chamber.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearlodge10 View Post
    Thanks guys, so rookie question follows suit. How do I determine if it is a spring/firing pin issue or one of chamber dimensions?
    My first thought was case headspace too.
    We assume the barrel was installed using proper headspace gauges (both go & no go).
    A simple test for your sized cases is layer "Scotch" tape on the case head. A good rule of thumb is you will feel resistance after only two layers (approx. .004) when you close the bolt. If it requires many more layers to feel resistance than the cases may be sized down too much. You shouldn't be able to close the bolt at all after 6 or 8 layers, if it takes that many the cases are way too short for the chamber and most likely the cause of the FTF.
    If you have a case length comparator or means to measure shoulder to base of the fired cases to the sized ones you will be able to also see if they are oversized (too short base to shoulder).

Final thought is to thoroughly disassemble & clean the bolt.
    Then check the firing pin protrusion should be .035 - .055.
    My .02,
    Randy

Basic Member
    Sorry Robinhood, I was typing while you posted and we essentially said the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    Sorry Robinhood, I was typing while you posted and we essentially said the same thing.
    Never a problem, your choice of words are normally an improvement over mine.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I appreciate the help. I will run the "tests" this evening and report back.
    Robinhood: "If you have fired cases where the primers are proud, this is another sign your cases are shorter than the chamber." By this, do you mean that the primer is pushed back out of the primer pocket such that the primer protrudes out? If so, that is not the case.