Thread: "Super Sniper" stock for Edge

Basic Member

"Super Sniper" stock for Edge

I have an Edge, synthetic stock, RH center feed BDM in .308 Win. (Big ugly plastic trigger guard and plastic magazine clip catch)

Choate machine now offers some Plaster style super sniper stocks, for the Edge/Axis, but none for the BDM (bottom drop magazine) OK then, dig out your collective magic Chrystal balls.

If I buy a spring, sheet metal box and shell lifter. from the Edge/Axis, will all the parts play nice in the Choate Machine stock? Just eliminate the BDM. I like the versatility of the BDM, but will gladly give it up to get the sniper style stock, the block bedding and fixed trigger guard.

What say the smart pig's ?

Thanks, Paul

Basic Member
    Does the Choate bottom metal for the Axis DBM not fit?

Basic Member
    In the pictures on the Choate Machine site, there is no hole or inletting to accept any bottom iron, and choate does not mention offering one. (I fact there is a disclaimer about their stocks NOT working with BDM's.) Is there a bottom Iron, that would accept the center feed BDM that I already have? Perhaps better than the plastic factory stuff we have been whining about elseware on this board.

I have the means to inlet/fit it into the bottom of the plastic super sniper stock. The time to do it, as usual, is always short.

Perhaps, if enough of us ask, they will modify the CNC machine program they use to inlet, to accommodate our beloved rifle, AND all its quirks.

Paul

Looking at Choate's website I see no listing for an Axis/Edge Sniper or Varmint stock - only short and long-action stocks for the 110-series rifles. The Axis/Edge has never been offered with a blind magazine so their making a blind mag stock for them wouldn't make much sense.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    As I said in my first post, my Edge is a BDM and I want to fit it to a "super Sniper" Plaster style stock. Short of copying one , from scratch, in wood or laminate, I'm looking for a way to adapt that style stock to an existing gun. I've had and installed several of them (super sniper) and always liked the way the various actions shot in that particular design.

I'm fairly new to the Savage game, so I really needed the insight you provided, my Savage history knowledge is compartmental in nature. (little pods, big holes, lol ) I have had several bad dealings with Boyd's lately, (I currently own and shoot several thumb hole stocks, one on a mod 10/ .458 SOCOM/ Excaliber barreled thumper) and want to work with the Plaster style this time, for some local distance competition, as a companion to my striker.

Seems to me, If Savage made a metal bottom iron, to accommodate a BDM, it could be inlet to a Choate sniper stock, (factory or on my mill) thereby taking advantage of the aluminum bedding blocks and rigid nature of the stock itself. Another alternative would be to adapt some other bottom iron and magazine, matched to the build in progress. (25-06 heavy barrel varminter)

I believe Choate uses CNC machinery to inlet the sniper stock, (it looks to be molded around the bedding blocks and then cut and drilled for the various actions) so it would be fairly easy to add a BDM style bottom iron and Edge /Axis action hole spacing. (Just one more thing Boyd's can't/ won't do)

I'm no Guru, just a working gun smith with some strange ideas about what is possible.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge about the Savage line, I can use all ya got.

Thanks, Paul

Basic Member
    It still seems that there are no stocks that fit the Edge/Axis, only the 110 series. They are different actions.

I guess if the bolt spacing is the same you could make one fit, but, as far as I know the bolt spacing is not the same. So, unless you want to redo the pillars in the Choate stock I don't know how you would make one fit.

Action screw spacing is different so the bottom metal from a 110-series gun wouldn't work. Also, the recoil lug pocket for a 110 L/A or S/A stock will be in the wrong place for an Axis action as well since overall action length is different. In other words, the easiest solution to your problem would be to sell the Axis to get a 110-series rifle.

Sometimes you can't always get what you really want. I know from experience, I'm a lefty!
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Well, I spent a pretty enlightening hour talking with the owner of CDI precision firearms inc. (he's local to me, in Sarasota Fl.) the guy that manufactures the replacement bottom irons for many different actions, allowing the use of ATI and P-Mag box magazines. He is a one man band, ( Multiple CNC machine centers) and is selling all he can make right now. Absolutely no interest in taking on any kind of R&D project concerning Axis or Edge actions.

CDI does their share of custom inletting on various manufacturers stocks, but only to fit their proprietary bottom irons. The list of what they do produce is impressive. (yea, I ordered a couple while I was there)

Anyway, It seems that Boyd's might be the only game in town for the Edge/Axis. I have a Boyd's thumb hole varminter, BDM for an axis, (yes, the Edge I have fits it well too, put that rumor to rest) So tomorrow I will order one more for the Edge. As well as another for a mod 10 flat back, that I use for my pistol caliber barrels. For the big'un, I will change to a full size recoil lug, pillar bed the new stock and see if I can find a metal trigger guard and magazine catch.

This edge will get a 25-06 barrel first, so now I have another problem, the magazines I have are about .350" short for the 25-'06 maximum over all length, I bought both a .270 and a .308 axis, that used the same center feed magazines. All I have are too short for the 25-'06. AFAIK the edge was never offered in 25-'06 but was offered in 30-'06 with a BDM. Any body have a 30'06 magazine that can measure the inside length? The longer 4 round magazines should be still available from Savage or after market, perhaps in 5 or more capacity. I may have to inlet a new bottom plastic to hold the longer magazines, fortunately that's QED.

Anyway, that's what I learned today. Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'

Paul in da swamp

Basic Member
    Today I scored a used Boyd's thumb hole varminter stock from a long magazine, 30-'06, edge, on 'da Bay, nearly half price. So now all that "super sniper" stuff can settle down.

I'm still chasing long magazines of more than 4 rounds, but I'm getting closer to building my own from surplus magazines.

BTW, I stumbled across a post with the magazine measurement I was asking for above. Now if only I could operate the "search" function...

Paul in Da swamp

Basic Member
    All right then, I've been crawlin' da web, lookin' for the best price on Axis / Edge LONG action magazines (30-'06, 300 win mag etc) best price I can find is $31.50 each, pack of 2 $62.00, free shipping. (PM me if ya want the link)

Has anybody found any thing better, or have a couple they want to part with / trade for .308 length magazines. Also looking for 10 round mag's for long action Axis / Edge. Looks like I'm gonna have to build one if I want it. (H&K G-3 mag's will work for the short action, any idea what will work for the 30-'06 length rounds?

Eyes are bloodshot, fingers are nubs, scrubbin' off speed with every keystroke... HELP ME GOOGLE FOO.

Paul in da swamp

Basic Member
    About the only thing I could suggest for the .30-06 would be BAR mags. I think they would be a bit expensive.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the reply, I'm about to try forming a box section on a cornice brake. no need to get super trick with angles and such, just a rectangular box, with formed lips to retain the bottom plate/spring/follower. All the magic happens with the upper sheet metal box and clip from the 3 round factory magazine. (the part I can't find yet) Anybody else sculling on this concept?

Thanks, Paul in Da swamp

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    It still seems that there are no stocks that fit the Edge/Axis, only the 110 series. They are different actions.

I guess if the bolt spacing is the same you could make one fit, but, as far as I know the bolt spacing is not the same. So, unless you want to redo the pillars in the Choate stock I don't know how you would make one fit.
    What I was going to say.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67