Thread: Savage 11 Synthetic Stock

Snoodle_boyee

Savage 11 Synthetic Stock

Howdy,

I just bought a used Savage 11 6.5cm with a detachable mag. It is a short action with a 22” bbl.

The plastic trigger guard has a rear screw that was turned through the plastic. It stays in but will not tighten up.

Will a 111 Synthetic stock without detachable mag work?

I am new to working on bolt actions and any info will be appreciated.

TC

Team Savage
    I’d replace the plastic trigger guard with a metal TG. You can order one from site sponsor, Gun Shack. There are two types, one is old style TG with thin front lip for older top bolt release Savage models. But most likely you have a new style bottom bolt release TG with thicker front lip. Gun Shack has both listed for sale under Gun parts.

Snoodle_boyee
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    I’d replace the plastic trigger guard with a metal TG. You can order one from site sponsor, Gun Shack. There are two types, one is old style TG with thin front lip for older top bolt release Savage models. But most likely you have a new style bottom bolt release TG with thicker front lip. Gun Shack has both listed for sale under Gun parts.
    Does that metal trigger guard require the rear screw? Is there a hole for a screw? My current set up has two action screws and one half screw that it for screwing into the plastic chassis only.

Team Savage
    Metal TG uses same screws as plastic TG.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoodle_boyee View Post
    Does that metal trigger guard require the rear screw? Is there a hole for a screw? My current set up has two action screws and one half screw that it for screwing into the plastic chassis only.
    You can repair the "stripped" hole in the plastic by filling it with a two part epoxy. Drill a small pilot hole in the cured epoxy and the screw will self "tap" it's way in. It is very easy to "strip" the threads from the plastic (did it several times myself) so tighten with caution just to "snug" it up.
    As the others said a metal trigger guard will allow for proper torque on the rear action screw. The plastic in a plastic guard will compress, it is near impossible for the screw to maintain the same torque.

In a pinch i have completely bored out the front hole of the plastic guard so the head of the action screw will squeeze completely through and contact the pillar. Those plastic guards fit snug into the stock and the rear screw alone will hold them for all practical use.
    My .02

Btw the model 111 stock has different action screw spacing than your model 11 so that stock will not work.