Thread: Rifle Basix 1 vs Rifle Basix 2

Team Savage

Rifle Basix 1 vs Rifle Basix 2

Looking for opinions/experiences related to the differences between the two triggers. I have a Basix 2 on my Mod10 308 set at 2lbs that's generally used for steel matches. Can't put a finger on it, but I like the feel compared to the accutrigger. I'd like to change the triggers on my 3 other Savages. None of them will be set below 2lbs. That being said, will I gain anything by replacing them with a Basix 2 over the Basix 1? It took 3 hours of adjusting/testing before I could get the 2 on my Mod10 to stop impact firing. Now I can't get it to release without pulling the trigger. Obviously this is what I want. Will the Basix 1 give me what I want, and feel as good, assuming none set below 2lbs? Thanks in advance.

Basic Member
    RifleBasix says it will.

Basic Member
    Might want to try a Timney trigger also.

Basic Member
    I have installed and used dozens of both Sav-1 and Sav-2's on my own rifles... Many more for other's. Sav-1 is perfectly fine if you want 1.5-3 pounds. As far as I am concerned, Sav-2 would be a waste of money, time and effort unless you want less poundage. Both are excellent triggers.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    I have installed and used dozens of both Sav-1 and Sav-2's on my own rifles... Many more for other's. Sav-1 is perfectly fine if you want 1.5-3 pounds. As far as I am concerned, Sav-2 would be a waste of money, time and effort unless you want less poundage. Both are excellent triggers.
    Thank you much for the feedback.

Banned
    While the SAV2 is “technically” more involved, they both use the stock Savage sear. Because of this, they are both only “HALF” a trigger system to me. If you aren't planning to go below 2lbs, I don’t believe anything is gained for the added cost. I would encourage you to learn to set up your own triggers. My Stock, set up triggers outperform the RifleBasix triggers, and cost a couple bucks of parts.

I believe you can make a factory trigger work pretty good too. There is that learning curve. I wish you would do an article on your process and allow it to not be removed. Then discussions without any hurt feelings and by allowing opinions to be debated without taking anything personal. Once and for all we could get some facts and information out about honing and polishing on stamped steel and MIM.

My favorite trigger for a savage was the SSS trigger. Never saw his target trigger but I am assuming it was another fine piece of work. Next up was a SavII. Then a custom trigger bushing setup with the old torsion spring and a .041"? wire. There were several others with a custom coil spring where I removed the side play that were great but were target only.

Dave, how many SAVII's have you set up? what was it you did not like about them?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    No, Robin you misunderstood. It’s not that I don’t like it.. or the Sav1 or Timney for that matter. I like that they are milled, solid steel parts. And the adjustments are nice(albeit some is not needed IMO). The ONLY things I don’t like are that they use the STOCK sear and the added cost. I simply like the feel of the Accutrigger. I really like 2-stage triggers, but again, the cost. The Accu-blade “reminds” my index finger of a 2-stage, as it presents an initial pull before release. That’s going back to that preference stuff I’ve discussed. So taking into account the money savings, how nicely they can be set up and the preference I already have, makes it a better option to me. As for MIM/stamped/cast parts, never good in high stress areas. Forged or milled parts are going to be stronger. That said, even MIM parts go through a case hardening process(heat treatment). Heat is the number 1 enemy, as well as grinding the material below the hardened case point. (Big reason I always refer to a Dremel as not being a friend!). In the end, the parts can be quite weak though. And they are inconsistent among manufacturers.

Not to mention the trigger itself does nothing to improve accuracy on its own. KNOWING your trigger and consistency, however, do! This is why I prefer using stock triggers that I know I can make feel pretty darn good, and cost nothing. Especially when I already prefer the design.(such as the accutrigger)

Don’t get me wrong though, if I were independently wealthy, I would have Jewell on all my AR builds...and wouldn’t need to worry about Savage! I’d build something with a Crux Titanium Action as the heart! And IT would have a Jewell 2-stage trigger! LOL!