Thread: Rebarrel rifle

Rebarrel rifle

I am considering rebarreling my Savage with a different barrel and 1:10 twist. If I do that I would like to get a new bolt head as well. It seems like a good time to get a better recoil lug and barrel nut as well. Is the PTG a drop in replacement part?
    You don't know what you don't know.

Basic Member
    we need much more info to help. here are some questions;
    What caliber is the barrel now?
    Why are you going to change it?
    What Caliber are you going to change it too?
    Do you have any experience doing a barrel change? Also do you have the necessary tools?

There is a wealth of info on this site and a lot of you tube videos to help you.

Problby
    Quote Originally Posted by strut64 View Post
    we need much more info to help. here are some questions;
    What caliber is the barrel now?
    Why are you going to change it?
    What Caliber are you going to change it too?
    Do you have any experience doing a barrel change? Also do you have the necessary tools?

There is a wealth of info on this site and a lot of you tube videos to help you.
    I will stay with 260 Remington as I have brass in 260 and 308, dies, etc. No real need to go to anything else unless I want to start over with something like Dasher or else. Just want something my own, not factory. Lame. However, can admit it. Sheet, I know I don’t want a Vett.

Banned
    Is your only question regarding the PTG bolt head being drop in? That is the only question I can see. The answer is “sometimes”. Your action may accept it without modification.(to the bolt). But it may also need some light fitting work. And of course head-spacing. Which you would be doing with new barrel anyway.

I have swapped bolt heads on my Model 16 a few times.

While it is a straightforward process, swapping bolts would be a lot easier even though more expensive.

I have not yet tried that path, but would welcome comments from those who have swapped mbolts in lieu of swapping bolt heads.

The answers might better inform the OP too.

Team Savage
    A new machined recoil lug will probably be different size from the factory and will need to be inletted and bedded. Will not be drop in.

Banned
    Guys, concerning the bolt & recoil lug are NOT questions the OP asked. It’s more helpful to simply answer a question a person asks and give advice concerning that question topic. Not to interject your opinion on another topic, or “welcome” answers to a different question YOU are curious about, in an attempt to hijack the thread.

Basic Member
    He did say he wanted to replace the recoil lug and barrel nut as well. So, he does need to know if a replacement recoil lug will drop in or not.

Banned
    Leaving alone the recoil lug being one of the easiest parts to fit correctly...., you are assuming what the OP “NEEDS”. And you know the result of assuming. But, by all means...continue.

Basic Member
    These threads are not just for the OP but for everyone who happens upon them in the future. I have found many a valuable nugget of info while reading in this forum and not always on topic. Sometime one is unaware of a problem on the horizon with there build or project. As always I could be wrong.

b
    Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    These threads are not just for the OP but for everyone who happens upon them in the future. I have found many a valuable nugget of info while reading in this forum and not always on topic. Sometime one is unaware of a problem on the horizon with there build or project. As always I could be wrong.
    You are on the money.

Also, putting on blinders with respect to one’s question assumes the question is correctly phrased. In this case. the OP had a pretty good, but clearly incomplete, mental picture of what he needs to do and the available options. Calling out recoil lugs and alternative bolt paths fit within the spirit of his question.

Basic Member
    Savage Customer service may sell you a new bolt head, much cheaper than anyone else. I can't remember if it's a "restricted" part, may have to sign a waiver or have your GS buy it.

Northland Shooter Supply sells barrels, recoil lugs, barrel nuts for Savages in addition to headspace gages, action vices, and they may have a Savage bolt head if you ask.

Check out the clearance aisle, they have Shilen Match barrels that might be what you're looking for. Shilen makes a fine barrel!
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Thank you all for the info. I was considering a PTG bolted as I hear the are a higher caliber of workmanship and accuracy. I would probably go with a better recoil lug and nut for sure.

Ask yourself if a 10 twist 6.5 caliber barrel(260 Rem) is really what you want. 10 works best for the medium to heavier 308 projectiles. 8 twist is standard for the medium to heavy 6.5 projectiles.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Definitely go with 8-twist.

Nothing about accuracy is lost with lighter bullets and the heavy bullets will stabilize.

Basic Member
    Isn't the 10 twist what 'killed' the 260 Rem market? They would not stabilize heavier bullets so people stopped buying it?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Isn't the 10 twist what 'killed' the 260 Rem market? They would not stabilize heavier bullets so people stopped buying it?
    If I remember right when Remington first offered the 260 in the late 90s it came out with 9 twist and in most cases would stabilize up to and including 140 grain....a little trivia the 12 twist that came out in the 244 Remington is what killed it...later the cartridge was redesignated as the 6mm Remington and used same twist as 243 Winchester and was much more sucessful....our quest for longer higher bc bullets is now giving us the faster twists we see today...
    In all actuality the 260 was gaining popularity a little at a time with the 6.5 - 264 crowd until the more efficient 6.5 Creedmoor came along...i still have a couple of 260 barrels and shoot them once in a while...i have set a couple back and rechambered them to creedmoor (both 8 twist) an am contemplating trying the 9 twist barrel with the CM also.