Thread: A22 fvsr

A22 fvsr

I bought a new A22 fvsr today, the camo version. It seems like a nicely put together rifle and it looks good, everything is tight and straight. I read a lot of reviews on this rifle and the A22 in general, and almost everyone said the trigger pretty much sucks. I don't know if I got lucky or not, but mine breaks at 3.5 lbs, it does have some creep and a bit of grittiness to it but I think a few small tweaks will make it a nice trigger after some break-in time. I read the manual and adjusting the trigger is similar to other accutriggers except the tool is different, it's longer and it seems like Savage forgot to include one with my rifle. Either it fell out of the box or was never there, but I don't have it. I'll be calling Savage in the morning and see if I can get one soon. In the mean time a quick cleaning and lube and I'm headed to the range in the morning for it's maiden voyage. I have a Nikon 4-12x40 mounted on it ready to go.

Tool is usually in the sealed bag with the manual, cable lock, ear plugs, etc.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I looked everywhere inside the box and in every bag and I can't find it. I called Savage and they are sending me 2 right out, very nice and polite people there. Their customer service impressed me.

Basic Member
    Thanks for posting, can't wait for a range report!

Update... I've had the rifle to the range 3 times with a total of 250 rounds fired, 4 different types of ammo tried between 30gr and 40gr. The rifle has serious problems with the mag and feeding into the chamber. It will load 9 rounds from the mag into the chamber but the last round always stays in the mag. The bullets are not feeding correctly as almost every round is scraped badly when entering the chamber. At least 1 round per mag is a failure to fire and all these problems happen with all 4 types of ammo. The accuracy is good for a few shots and then the groups go erratic, I checked the scope and the torque on the action screws and nothing changes. I even tried a different scope with no luck, the scope base is tight and the rifle crown looks good. I have several Savage bolt rifles and they all shoot very nice and accurate and function great, this semiauto is a total different rifle from what I'm use to from Savage. Sorry to say IMHO it's not worth sending back for repairs, I'm done with it. Sorry for the negative review and it's not like me to complain and post such a review.

Your accuracy problems mirror the ones I have had with my A22 target. I bought mine Dec. and the best I could get out of Savages "accutrigger" was a 5.5lb creepy trigger. I did not even fire the the rifle and sent it back to Savage. After 9 weeks Savage finally got it back to me with a new trigger that registered 3.5lb with very little creep. When I started range test this gun the I could not get a group under 1.25" with any ammo I tried and some were the pricey target ammo. I even bedded the action in the Boyds stock, that seemed to help keep the groups (patterns) get more rounded but did not shrink the groups. I went to my local smith and he bore scoped the barrel. The barrel had chatter marks the went at least a third of the way into the grooves in a lot of places. Back to savage.

Savage sent me a whole new gun and it only took 5 weeks this time. The first thing I did was bore scope it. The new bore was rough and had chatter marks the length of the barrel but at least most of the grooves seemed clear of chatter. The first trip to the range I was able to get about 1' groups at 50yds though I had a lot of horizontal flyers. I bedded the action on this new rifle and fire lapped it. This shrunk the groups to .75" with CCI sv's. I was expecting better from Savage as every other one I have had was a tack driver but I guess this as good as I am going to get with their A22 "target".

My advice for what it is worth is keep sending your rifle back to Savage tell they get it right even if for the first 6 months they have for a longer period of time than you will.

Jim