Thread: Firing pin spring upgrade?

Firing pin spring upgrade?

Got an axis 223 rem. The firing pin spring and washer, spring setup is digging into eachother and rubbing on the firing pin. The old 1 piece spring setup seems like an easy upgrade if you put a thrust bearing in the bolt retainer nut. Anybody know if there is a spring upgrade kit or where i can buy the old one piece spring assembley??

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andref View Post
    Got an axis 223 rem. The firing pin spring and washer, spring setup is digging into eachother and rubbing on the firing pin. The old 1 piece spring setup seems like an easy upgrade if you put a thrust bearing in the bolt retainer nut. Anybody know if there is a spring upgrade kit or where i can buy the old one piece spring assembley??
    Try Numerich Arms

Did the axis come with the model 10 style spring...ever? You may know what your doing but that sounds like a no go. What is wrong with the 3 piece spring setup. Is it assembled correctly?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Did the axis come with the model 10 style spring...ever? You may know what your doing but that sounds like a no go. What is wrong with the 3 piece spring setup. Is it assembled correctly?
    Negative - the Axis firing pin assembly is a different length than the 110-series short and long actions. What he's referring to is the early 1-pc FP spring that was used on the early Axis/Edge rifles and the first 220/212 Slug Guns as shown in the following photo.

Savage changed the design to the current 3-pc spring design (shown below) due to binding issues when rotating the bolt handle up/down. The little "washer" between the two spring halves was meant to fix that issue, but as we've discussed previously in other threads on this topic it isn't a perfect fix.

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Thanks for posting those pics Jim, I overhauled a 3 spring setup today. I like it. It could be improved but I like the way it provides a better load bearing surface for the cocking pin. Fewer sliding parts and better bolt lift. The downside is you have to shim or file to get .035"+ Protrusion. The upside is if you make you own shim you can hit .035".

What problems are people still having with the new setup? On my 2 older rifles the striker was coming un cocked when bolt was pulled back hard. Sent bolts back to Savage and they fixed for free- i assume they put in the new setup. I have 2 newer .243’s that I haven’t had the issue with yet, and hope not to.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Negative - the Axis firing pin assembly is a different length than the 110-series short and long actions. What he's referring to is the early 1-pc FP spring that was used on the early Axis/Edge rifles and the first 220/212 Slug Guns as shown in the following photo.

Savage changed the design to the current 3-pc spring design (shown below) due to binding issues when rotating the bolt handle up/down. The little "washer" between the two spring halves was meant to fix that issue, but as we've discussed previously in other threads on this topic it isn't a perfect fix.

Axis .223 with 4x12x40 Redfield Revolution
    Stainless Axis .30-06 with 3.5x10x40 VX3 Leupold.

Basic Member
    I was getting light primer strikes. I used a washer in the threaded bolt and the problem went away. I could't find any replacement springs.

So you increased the preload and problem solved. Simple but effective.

Makes me wonder if Savage is counterboring the spring seat in the BAS too deep.

Never had that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrew44 View Post
    I was getting light primer strikes. I used a washer in the threaded bolt and the problem went away. I could't find any replacement springs.

I had 3 savage rifles, I still have 2, the last one was a Savage Axis 6.5 Creedmoor, after about 6 months it got to not firing half my rounds, I called Savage and a lady answered and I told her my problemand I let it slip that I reloaded my ammo , she cut me off was rude and said I no longer had any warranty, looked at a lot of youtube videos and took it apart and cleaned with brake cleaner and got all real clean still would not fire all ammo so I traded to another brand that is 6.5 Creedmoor and it shoot every thing I throw at it, even some of the ammo that had light strikes, I pulled the bullet but new primer in , same powder seated the same bullet and shot every round the Axis would not shoot, I had tried full length sizing and neck sizing , with Axis it made no difference, I had thrown away several cases in to junk brass , I went back and dug it all out and it fires great in new gun, I am not mad at Savage, I still have 2 Savage rifles I love them, but I know at shooting matches no matter what brand of gun they are more than likely shooting reloads for better accuracy, and I know probably most every gun maker has same warranty about reloads, it did learn me a lesson, if I have another problem with a weapon under warranty, I know nothing about reloading!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wall View Post
    I had 3 savage rifles, I still have 2, the last one was a Savage Axis 6.5 Creedmoor, after about 6 months it got to not firing half my rounds, I called Savage and a lady answered and I told her my problemand I let it slip that I reloaded my ammo , she cut me off was rude and said I no longer had any warranty, looked at a lot of youtube videos and took it apart and cleaned with brake cleaner and got all real clean still would not fire all ammo so I traded to another brand that is 6.5 Creedmoor and it shoot every thing I throw at it, even some of the ammo that had light strikes, I pulled the bullet but new primer in , same powder seated the same bullet and shot every round the Axis would not shoot, I had tried full length sizing and neck sizing , with Axis it made no difference, I had thrown away several cases in to junk brass , I went back and dug it all out and it fires great in new gun, I am not mad at Savage, I still have 2 Savage rifles I love them, but I know at shooting matches no matter what brand of gun they are more than likely shooting reloads for better accuracy, and I know probably most every gun maker has same warranty about reloads, it did learn me a lesson, if I have another problem with a weapon under warranty, I know nothing about reloading!
    I'm having the same problem you experienced. Last range trip 6 rounds in a row wouldn't fire. Took the bolt apart and noticed an area on the FP that had the bluing worn away right behind the hole for the cocking pin rubbing somewhere inside the bolt body. I polished the whole area to where it looked like chrome, reassembled/lightly lubed the bolt and tried popping some primers. Loaded Winchesters that were the worst offenders and they ignited just fine. Still have to try the loads that didn't fire, those are loaded with CCI 200s. If the rain ever lets up here I can head to the range.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

When did this issue start- how many rounds through rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    I'm having the same problem you experienced. Last range trip 6 rounds in a row wouldn't fire. Took the bolt apart and noticed an area on the FP that had the bluing worn away right behind the hole for the cocking pin rubbing somewhere inside the bolt body. I polished the whole area to where it looked like chrome, reassembled/lightly lubed the bolt and tried popping some primers. Loaded Winchesters that were the worst offenders and they ignited just fine. Still have to try the loads that didn't fire, those are loaded with CCI 200s. If the rain ever lets up here I can head to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer44mag View Post
    When did this issue start- how many rounds through rifle?
    Started around the time I had about 100 rounds through the rifle, about a month or so after I bought it. First problem was the Weaver scope that came on it. Elevation adjustment quit working so replaced that. The FTFs were either no go first try and success on the second or no ignition at all no matter how many time the FP struck. Failures types was probably about 50/50.

I had the same issue with my Axis XP in 308win.. I built a better washer (brass) for between the 2 springs and added a built spacer (.125") for in the cap of threaded bolt end thereby increasing spring preload.. I haven't had any issues since my efforts...

Btw the rifle had always struggled firing military rounds even when new.. Now it fires everything I feed it..

Quote Originally Posted by Fullquiver View Post
    I had the same issue with my Axis XP in 308win.. I built a better washer (brass) for between the 2 springs and added a built spacer (.125") for in the cap of threaded bolt end thereby increasing spring preload.. I haven't had any issues since my efforts...

Btw the rifle had always struggled firing military rounds even when new.. Now it fires everything I feed it..
    Good information, thanks.