This is my only 22-250, just wanted to try this caliber. Since 22-250 is a bit hard on barrels I was attracted to Savage because of the easily replaced barrels. The accustock bedding system and accufit were also appealing. When I got it home, I took the stock off and cleaned it. Using a Lyman bore scope, I noticed the last few inches of the bore were very rough and had two heavily coppered spots. There was pitting at the end leading into the muzzle crown. I cleaned all the copper out, loaded some ammo and headed to the range. I wasn't too surprised that the accuracy was really bad, most bullets missing the target completely.

I thought about contacting Savage about this and I'm sure they would would have it right. What I decided to do was get piloted facing and crowning tools and experiment. I hacksawed the last three inches of bad barrel and re-crowned it. Went back to the range with the same loads and what a difference! At 100 yards it was grouping mostly 1/2" to 1" with one 5/16" with a 52gr MK. I think with some load development this Savage will be pretty good. Cleaning it after these 30 rounds I noticed more copper fouling than I'm used to in other rifles but this copper is more of a hazy coating with no thick areas and it cleaned up easily.

The action on this one is good. The bolt cycles smoothly and feeds/ejects well. The trigger is really good. The stock is plenty rigid and that aluminum bed is sure nice. I really like this rifle and considering getting one in 223. Production rifle barrels at this price point are somewhat of a gamble but at least on Savages the owner can actually do something about it without needing a (very busy) gunsmith.