Thread: 6 BR Norma build question

Basic Member

6 BR Norma build question

Been thinking about the 6 BR Norma for my next rifle. I know Savage sells it in the Model 12 Benchrest but I’m thinking I might like to build one from scratch with purchased components. I have several questions about this potential project.

Does this cartridge feed best in a single shot target action or is the Savage 10/12 action with magazine feeding also a viable option?

If I use a Savage right bolt/right port target action with 4.41 inch screw spacing, how do the dimensions of this action differ from the standard magazine fed 10/12 actions? Will it fit the same stocks with the 10/12 action inlet or will it require a different inlet?

Thanks

Bill

Team Savage
    I built mine on a old LA Single Shot Action, so no feeding problems. I understand you WILL have to tweque the magazine to get it to feed, short fat cartridge. Savage Target action is LARGE shank.

Team Savage
    Mine was/is built on a "J" Model 110 V (in between the now long and the short action) that is also my test bed for different caliber rounds. I go single shot on everything, that way, no feeding issues. Ejector rod and spring are removed so brass stays on the bolt head till I pick it off. No chasing brass, ever. From the 6 BR came my 22 BR then my 6.8 BR wildcat. No tweaking mags lips so no scratched brass either.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Mine is currently on a flat-back long action as a single shot, but I'm considering switching the barrel to a short action and running detachable magazines. With the long action I still start the round into the chamber mouth with a finger before running the bolt forward. Shooting the long, heavy, golf-pencil like bullets requires it, or else the nose of the bullets gets hung up before going into the chamber.

One exciting bit of relatively new news is that MDT is manufacturing 6BR dedicated magazines that feed well. No more tweaking with feed lips or running spacers, etc.
    MDT 6mm BR magazines: https://mdttac.com/us_en/mdt-metal-magazines-short-action.html

6BR AICS Conversion Kit: http://www.primalrights.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=135

The inlet for the actions is the same. My FTR (single-shot target action) stock also fits a 4.4" 12FV barreled action.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

Banned
    i would just build a single shot
    6br is a great round. decide way in advance what you intend to do and then pick a twist 1/12 thru 1/8 maybe 1/13 and 1/7.75
    55 TO 100 plus gr bullets 100 to 1000 yards
    options
    6mm br improved "6BRA"
    6 DASHER

Basic Member
    I have a model 12 BVSS originally in 223 that I re-barreled in 6br. Got a new std bolt head, and X-Caliber 28 inch, 8 twist varmint wt barrel, new recoil lug and barrel nut. Once you have the tools, it's a 20 minute job to change barrels. I put a 308 blind magazine in the stock just to plug the hole. I single feed, and have removed the ejector so the brass stays on the head, as Nor Cal Mike writes.

This works very well when the barrel is getting hot. I feed the round and immediately open the bolt. The round stays on the bolt head but is not being heated by the chamber. I close again just before firing.

In answer to your query about action size, the Large Shank Action you write of is larger in diameter and also has 3 action screws at a different spacing. So no, one cannot interchange stocks between a model 10,11,12 small shank action with 4.41 spacing and the 3 screw Precision Target Action.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

There is the 3.4 and a 4.41 3 screw target action also. 2 different target action screw spacing's.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    I have a model 12 BVSS originally in 223 that I re-barreled in 6br. Got a new std bolt head, and X-Caliber 28 inch, 8 twist varmint wt barrel, new recoil lug and barrel nut. Once you have the tools, it's a 20 minute job to change barrels. I put a 308 blind magazine in the stock just to plug the hole. I single feed, and have removed the ejector so the brass stays on the head, as Nor Cal Mike writes.

This works very well when the barrel is getting hot. I feed the round and immediately open the bolt. The round stays on the bolt head but is not being heated by the chamber. I close again just before firing.

In answer to your query about action size, the Large Shank Action you write of is larger in diameter and also has 3 action screws at a different spacing. So no, one cannot interchange stocks between a model 10,11,12 small shank action with 4.41 spacing and the 3 screw Precision Target Action.
    Target actions have the same outside diameter as all of the other 110-based actions.

As noted, which screw spacing you get when you order a target action through your dealer is the "gotcha" with these so don't order a stock until you have the action and can confirm which screw spacing you have. I believe all the new production comes with the 4.40" screw spacing these days, but occasionally you'll come across the oddball "new old stock" one with the 3.400" screw spacing that's been sitting on a shelf for several years. If you go this route, I would recommend calling James at Northland Shooters Supply as he usually has them in stock and can verify the screw spacing for you.

As for single-shot or repeater, on fat, short stubby cartridges with a steeper shoulder angle like the 6mm BR I always recommend going with a single-shot as they can be a real pain to get to feed reliably from a magazine. Savage doesn't offer the 6mm BR in a repeater from the factory for a reason. Most going to this cartridge are using the rifle for one or two things - bench/precision shooting or long-range varmint hunting, neither of which require a magazine.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Target actions have the same outside diameter as all of the other 110-based actions.

As noted, which screw spacing you get when you order a target action through your dealer is the "gotcha" with these so don't order a stock until you have the action and can confirm which screw spacing you have. I believe all the new production comes with the 4.40" screw spacing these days, but occasionally you'll come across the oddball "new old stock" one with the 3.400" screw spacing that's been sitting on a shelf for several years. If you go this route, I would recommend calling James at Northland Shooters Supply as he usually has them in stock and can verify the screw spacing for you.

As for single-shot or repeater, on fat, short stubby cartridges with a steeper shoulder angle like the 6mm BR I always recommend going with a single-shot as they can be a real pain to get to feed reliably from a magazine. Savage doesn't offer the 6mm BR in a repeater from the factory for a reason. Most going to this cartridge are using the rifle for one or two things - bench/precision shooting or long-range varmint hunting, neither of which require a magazine.
    According to the descriptions on the NSS site, the dual port target action has the 3.44" screw spacing. The single port target actions (left or right) have 4.41" spacing.

IIRC the Dual Port and Palma actions were the only guns to ever (supposedly) use the 3.400 screw spacing. That said, several people have ordered Target actions and received one with that screw spacing. The reason is production-wise they're the same action (Palma and Target) - the screw holes are just drilled in different locations, so if Savage doesn't have any 4.40 Target actions ready to go but does have a bunch of 3.400 actions ready to go they'll use what's ready to ship to fill an order.

We've also seen the occasional dual-port action with the 4.40 screw spacing.

Not saying it happens all the time or is the norm, but it has happened and like will again in the future.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain