I have this Savage takedown rifle chambered for 303 Savage.
By its serial number it was manufactured in 1920, the year Savage started phasing in the 99 to replace the 1899.
It is not marked anywhere on the barrel or receiver with a model number. I have a 99F from 1926 that is marked Model 99 on the receiver bridge, and I am told by several sources that 1899's were frequently labeled as such on the barrel.
I am trying to figure out how to post some photos, but as they are on my computer, not on the web, I am not sure how to go about doing so here.
In any case, the quandary I am in is this.
I read the post here in regard to What Model Savage do I Have.
The best conclusion I come to is that this rifle is a interim or crossover rifle having features of both the 1899H and 99F
It has no saddle ring, no Model Markings at all.
It has a 20 inch barrel which is of a heavy or possibly medium contour. Much heavier than my 99F.
It still has about 90 percent of its bluing, and bore, chamber, and rifling are pristine.
It is quite accurate, as it will print .5 to .75 inch groups at 50 yds, with graf and sons 150 gr ammo, but it shoots about 5 to 6 inches above point of aim at that range with the rear sight at its lowest setting.
Original 190 gr Silvertips print about 2 inches high at the same range. I luckily inherited several boxes of the Silvertips with the rifle.
I plan to handload for this rifle and would like to find some 190 gr roundnoses for that purpose.
All the Spitzer types I find give too long an overall length for proper functioning through the magazine.
Any knowledge you can share on suitable bullets in that weight range would be appreciated.
Also any help as to how I can post photos.
Thanks,
D.