Thread: New axis 6.5 creedmoor

Basic Member

New axis 6.5 creedmoor

Hi,new to savages but already like it a lot,one question I cannot get an answer for is is the savage axis 6.5 a short action or not new to 6.5 and not sure.

Basic Member
    This has your answer

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...Action-Lengths

Basically all Axis are same length.

Basic Member
    Ok no offense but this tells me nothing about my question I want to know if a 6.5 creedmoor axis is a short action this was unusable mumbo jumbo simple question that seems no one can answer not even savage

From the above linked thread:

"The Savage Axis/Edge is a completely different action and design from the 110-series and uses a unique screw spacing of 4.800" center-to-center. The Axis/Edge has one action length and screw spacing for both long and short action cartridges. This is because on the factory synthetic stocks Savage uses a different trigger guard piece that is dependent on the magazine length for a short or long action cartridge."

Therefore, in plain English, the Axis is built on a long action length receiver so it can do double duty for both long and short action cartridges. Does that fully answer your question or are you still confused?

Basic Member
    Ok,so you are saying according to savage it is a long action but also can be used as a short action also .ok I’m not trying to be an idiot but 6.5 creedmoor is a short action caliber so when I order a aftermarket stock I’m thinking order a short action.This is where the issue lies with me knowing if its a short or long action.thank you for your patience its just a little confusing for me being new to the axis layout.

You will need a stock with 4.80" action screw spacing. Then match bottom or top bolt release.

Basic Member
    What stock are you looking to order? A Boyds possibly?

Basic Member
    Yes, many companies (including the Savage 110 series) come in short and long actions. Not the Axis.

What is different is the floorplate and magazine. There are short and long versions of those. So, as stated in the link, if you are ordering a stock they will want to know long or short action. Boyd's has a guide as to how to make that choice if you do not know. I suspect yours ia a "short" action magazine. My .223 has a "short" action stock from Boyd's.

So, I looked it up on Boyd's site for you. A 'short' action has a magazine length of 3 17/64. A 'long' action has a magazine length of 3 49/64.

Basic Member
    Thank you all for your patience,now I understand how the savage uses short and long in the axis. Do you like the Boyd’s stock I am thinking of getting one.

Basic Member
    Yes, I love the Boyd's stock. I have the Pro Varmint version. When I got it I really just wanted some extra weight and stiffness, but, the wide forend and shape of butt have been really nice when shooting from a bipod or bench rest and bag.

I did have to work on the tab thing that is used for a magazine catch. The good thing is they made it too 'big' so there was some meat to file off to make it work right.

If I end up with another plastic stock rifle I'll go back to Boyd's.

PS if you need a cushy buttpad then get one of the optional ones. The standard one is a bit wimpy. I shoot with a shoulder pad so it didn't matter to me.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Thanks for the input.im going to order the Boyd’s in one I think they call it.But i did like the pro varmint like you have .i hate choices maybe i just get each of them then that will give me the excuse to get another gun.

Basic Member
    ROFLMAO yep, one of each :)

And don't forget one in each color :)

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Just don't get one that is the solid black or green finish. They use a very light wood almost like balsa. They had a major problem with cracks. Not too sure if they are still using that wood or not.