Thread: What Spec Stainless Steel?

TAB

What Spec Stainless Steel?

Anyone know which specific type stainless steel Savage would have used on a model 12BVSS? And, do they use a different grade on receivers than on barrels?

I ran across this opinion on cleaning stainless (pistol) barrels and got me wondering what we might be dealing with.
    http://www.schuemann.com/LinkClick.a...bid=67&mid=445

Thanks,

TAB

Basic Member

Re: What Spec Stainless Steel?

It's 416R
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Cycler

416 is the most common grade of stainless steel used in firearm manufacture. It is a straight chrome moderate carbon level alloy with good machining properties that can be heat treated effectively and has adequate corrosion resistance to most common environments. It is not very highly corrosion resistant like the 300-series stainless steels but it doesn't have to be.

The jist of this article is that 416 stainless steel barrels are suseptable to chloride attack, as are regular carbon steel barrels, and shooters should avoid chlorinated solvent and, particularly, avoid mixing chlorinated solvents with ammonia-containing cleaners.

TAB

Sharpshooter, Cycler,

Thank you for your responses. Now all I have to do is figure out which solvents are chlorinated. 8^) And then, don't cross contiminate. I don't mix various cleaners out of the bottle, but sounds like there is risk in using certain ones in sequence.

TAB

Basic Member

I don't know of any bore solvents that are clorinated. 1,1,1 triclorethelene was a main ingredient of Brake Clean,which used to be a popular way to rinse out bore brushes. But it has been banned since 1996. It was in "Tap Magic" tapping fluid, too. That's why it worked so good. Now everything has to be "green".

outlawkyote

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    I don't know of any bore solvents that are clorinated.
    Just our drinking water >

Cycler

Quote Originally Posted by outlawkyote
    Which is one reason typhoid, cholera, and a few other unpleasant ways to die aren't nearly as common as they used to be. :)

outlawkyote

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler
    Which is one reason typhoid, cholera, and a few other unpleasant ways to die aren't nearly as common as they used to be. :)
    Rectal cancer, blader cancer, breast cancer is?

Cycler

They are much rarer and generally occur much later in life. You never have to worry about any of those things if you die in childhood. Another point is that these diseases have a very poor correlation with chlorinated drinking water but a much better correlation with other life-style factors like smoking.

Anyway, this thread is drifting WAY off the original topic and into the political realm the moderators want to avoid. Sorry for the digression.

TAB

Back on topic - Trichlorethylene

Just got a new can of Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber. Bold face type on the label... "contains trichlorethylene." It does not include "1,1,1" on the label. Same stuff I suppose?

Guess I need to be cautious about using Gun Scrubber and solvents containing ammonia (Shooters Choice, Hoppe's #9).

Thanks for the discussion,

TAB

Basic Member

Birchwood Casey gunscrubber is not a bore solvent, it is for degreasing and cutting crud in other places. Brake clean is the same stuff. Carb cleaner contains methylene cloride which is not as strong. 1,1,1 triclorethylene is the variant that was banned, however there are some other variants that were not. The new tapping fluid I use is called Mystic metal mover, it contains triclorethylene 6.1.
    Use the Gunscrubber for cleaning the action and bolt ,etc., use bore solvent for the bore. Just don't mix the 2.

Eric in NC

Its not the chlorine - its the flouride. It is sapping our precious bodily fluids (at least according to Gen. Ripper in Dr. Strangelove )

Cycler

Re: Back on topic - Trichlorethylene

Quote Originally Posted by TAB
    Just got a new can of Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber. Bold face type on the label... "contains trichlorethylene." It does not include "1,1,1" on the label. Same stuff I suppose?

Guess I need to be cautious about using Gun Scrubber and solvents containing ammonia (Shooters Choice, Hoppe's #9).

Thanks for the discussion,

TAB
    Yes, "trichloethylene" and 1,1,1-trichloroethylene are the same chemical. And, also yes, you do not want to use it together with ammonia containing solvents and cleaners.

Birchwood Casey also makes a form of Gun Scruber labeled "Synthetic Safe" that does not contain trichloroethylene or other chlorinated solvents so it ok for use on polymer framed handguns, synthetic stocks, etc. It works extremely well.

TAB

Thanks again gentlemen,

I was not planning on shooting the Gun Scrubber down the bore. I generally swab everything down with Shooter's Choice at the range and let it soak on the way home. Figured at home during real cleaning it would be very easy to cross contaminate chambers or bolts. Especially easy on semi-auto pistols if you use the GS to clean out trigger pivot/linkage areas.

As always, thanks for the info and discussion,

TAB