Thread: 350 legend build

Basic Member

350 legend build

I have decided to build a 350 legend for my daughter to use for whitetail in lower Michigan. I have all the parts except the barrel, that should be here in a few weeks. Started with a model 10t action I had laying around and got a little out of control with it but it will be a very nice little rifle for my daughter. She can’t wait to start load development with me. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7083.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	525.5 KB 
ID:	6200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice rifle, but it looks like it's quite a heavy rig for your daughter to haul around (guessing round 12 pounds or so). Hope she'll be hunting from a blind or stand and not hoofing it over hill and dale on a spot & stalk style hunt.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I will be the one carrying it, she is only 6 right now. I figured the heavier it is the less recoil it will have so she won’t be scared of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 350 legend in a Ruger ranch bolt rifle, it's a very compact light handling rifle. The caliber surprised me with it's power and accuracy in the 145 gr ammo I shot. At 160 yards I was getting a 2" group off a bench with just a front bag support. The recoil is almost exactly like 7.62x39 and very manageable. I do reload and bought a set of Lee dies, But I have not been able to locate rifle bullets for it yet or any load data. I'm sure within the next few months it will be available. Until then I found a place that sells a box of 145 gr WWB for $8 and I bought a bunch, I consider that a good price and the rifle likes that ammo. Good luck with yours, it looks very nice.

I see Savage has the 110 Hog Hunter listed in the 350 legend caliber #57534. I think it's a great caliber for that rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    I see Savage has the 110 Hog Hunter listed in the 350 legend caliber #57534. I think it's a great caliber for that rifle.
    Going to be available in a lot more than the 110 Hog Hunter, but no clue when they'll actually hit dealer's shelves.

https://www.savagearms.com/DAM/asset...48-18-9436.pdf
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Wow that's a lot of rifles chambered in that cartridge, glad to see it.

Dang it. So do I still convert an AR or buy a real rifle?

Basic Member
    I assume the cartridge is designed for those states with straight wall cartridge hunting restrictions?

correct Charlie. My good buddy has a 450 BM and we both are not impressed with the groupings of it. I was hoping this cartridge with less mass would be a little more controllable and it appears that it is.

I had mine at the range this morning and I let 2 other shooter try it out, and both were impressed with its accuracy and power. The only ammo I have for it is WWB 145gr and it would put down a hog or a deer no problem out to 200 yards. Either I got lucky with my rifle or it really likes the 145gr ammo because the accuracy is there with it, and it doesn't pound the heck out of your shoulder either.

Basic Member
    I would think this kind of situation is perfect for a TC Contender with rimmed cartridges, but, they are so expensive compared to the inexpensive, and accurate, bolt actions available these days.