Thread: New Criterion Barrel

Basic Member

New Criterion Barrel

I just got my 6mm Creedmoor barrel installed on my GRS stock rifle. The OEM in 6.5mm Creedmoor just looked too scary inside and it just wouldn't shoot better than 2 moa, so I decided to get something different. Since I have a bunch of 6.5 Lapua brass and a large number of long range 6mm bullets, I decided to make a switch.

I was wondering what your break in procedure is for the Criterion barrels. On one of their FAQs, they say that brushes don't have much value but recommend cleaning after every shot with patches and copper remover till copper fouling is reduced. Do you follow their recommendations or have a different method? How many shots do you clean after each, typically?I will say, that new barrel is a thing of beauty. I got the precision lug, nut and action wrench from NSS and it's all first rate kit. What a difference between this new stuff and factory.

Quote Originally Posted by RCE1 View Post
    The OEM in 6.5mm Creedmoor just looked too scary inside and it just wouldn't shoot better than 2 moa
    Send the OEM barrel back to Savage in hopes of getting a new and hopefully much better barrel.

I'm OCD about cleaning barrels. I clean them before shooting them and then clean them after every shooting session. For break in I shoot 1 and clean x 10. Then I shoot 3 shots and clean x 10. Then off to the races cleaning after every shooting session.

Break in method: Scrub barrel until all shavings and slivers no longer show on cotton patch. Fire one shot. Look at target. Place cross hairs on same point of aim as before and carefully adjust scope without moving the rifle until the cross hairs meet the hole in the target. Shoot 3 more rounds. Let cool. Shoot three more rounds. If satisfied, go home and run some patches through the barrel. If not satisfied, continue until satisfied. Be happy.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Got 2 Criterion barrels,1 / 204 ruger, 1/ 6mm creedmoor,bore scoped both barrels,they lookas good as New Krieger barrel.back of throat to lands and grooves was polished around[circumference] of 1 st 1/2" of barrel,barrels were hand lapped,i put some JB Bore Brite on tight patch,made about 50-60 strokes just to lands and grooves.i cleaned barrel,then shot 1 and cleaned 3 times,then a 5 shot group and cleaned again.Think it removes minute burrs etc,for less copper fouling.Have got 1201 rounds through 6 creed,borscoped again,Least amount, very minimal Fire cracking ever seen in any barrel,factory,or after market,many different brands,Have posted photos on facebook,6mm creedmor forum,of bore scope pic's as well as some groups.Have tried to post on the Savage site,did get 4 pic's on IMGBB whatever that is; but can't send them anywhere,went to local Library,2 Librarians could not get anything sent either.

Not much break in required with CBIs... I did do a break in on my last barrel (1 shot and clean x5) (then I shot 3 and cleaned x5).. According to John Krieger the good barrels don't need to do a break in (CBI was the OEM for Krieger when I bot my first barrel) They are awesome barrels (I have 3) and everyone of them is a .5 MOA shooter. I didn't even do a break in on my first 2 barrels (22-250s) but I did on my 260 rem match barrel. Results were the same...

Basic Member
    I managed to get to the range this morning. That Criterion barrel is really quite nice, I think.

I did a modified ladder test and went home with a load that put 3 shots in one ragged hole, which is a level of performance previously unseen with this rifle. This was highly gratifying. I've really been trying to like this rifle now for almost two years.

I did notice an interesting phenomenon, however. The first few shots I made, which were at the low end of the loads listed in the manual (LoadData from Handloader article) for this bullet weight (105gr) had primers that were pretty flat. Not completely flat, but flatter than I'd expected. No pierced primers, thankfully. I used Wolf small rifle primers in Lapua 6.5mm Creedmoor brass necked down to 6mm. The fired cases extracted easily, but I was really watching the primers closely. So here's the funny thing...after about a dozen shots, maybe 20, cleaning between groups of 3 and being careful not to heat the barrel up, the pressure signs just went away. Even as I incrementally increased the powder charge, there were no more flattened primers. I thought this was interesting. I used the same die adjustments on all my loads, so it isn't due to bullet jump or lack thereof, the loaded necks only measured just over .270 and the chamber neck is .275, which is pretty loose, I'd say (although Hornady brass will be more like .2725, which will be a very nice fit). I was surprised by how thin the necked down Lapua brass is in the neck when sized from 6.5 to 6mm, compared to what I've observed with Hornady native 6mm Creedmoor factory brass measures. Anyway, it was a pretty good day.

Basic Member
    You're going to like that Criterion barrel. I'm going to order another one next month, have an email into them with a question and have been waiting a couple of weeks for an answer.

Basic Member
    I have two CBI barrels a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 6 mm Creedmoor it only took nine rounds and copper stopped showing up. shoot three and clean slow velocity. Then I shoot 100 round before I even start load development. Because your velocity will speed up.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBIshooter View Post
    I have two CBI barrels a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 6 mm Creedmoor it only took nine rounds and copper stopped showing up. shoot three and clean slow velocity. Then I shoot 100 round before I even start load development. Because your velocity will speed up.
    The 6 Creedmoor in match chamber is the one I'm planning to order. How is yours doing for you? I just need to know what the barrel diameter is @17" for the Remage Varmint and the MTU, then I'm set.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    You're going to like that Criterion barrel. I'm going to order another one next month, have an email into them with a question and have been waiting a couple of weeks for an answer.
    Every time I've called to order a barrel, he has picked up immediately. With emails, you just never know if it got there or was dumped into a trash folder by a smarty-pants computer program.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    I emailed Criterion, I don't think James is going to have any more than the contour charts I have.

Basic Member
    I ordered my first barrel yesterday. a Criterion 9 twist 223Rem for my LRPV. Great price @ $300.00 My only disappointment was when I heard there would be a 10 - 16 week wait for it.. I hate waiting, but have other rifles to play with till it arrives.