Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: unscrewing a bbl

Banned

lets start all over.
    how many davidson rear entry action wrenches do you own ??
    ??????????????????

i own 2, one each of the current styles.

here is what happens when you do not KNOW but read (poor) info off the internet.

i just got off the phone with brownells.
    THEY ADMIT THE DESCRIPTION IS WRONG.
    they will get it fixed

port action wrenches are alum and not for removing factory bbls from factory actions;
    rear entry wrenches are STEEL and can be used to remove FACTORY bbls from FACTORY actions.

you have a nice day

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Not at all.

There most certainly is, and I've quoted it twice, whether you want to accept it, or not, I don't care.

The description for the Davidson rear entry action wrenches currently sold by Brownells clearly states they are manufactured from 7075-T6 aluminum (that's the "material") and are not meant for breaking down factory installed barrels.

Banned
    I’ve never been a fan of the internal action wrenches. Just something about using a hardened steel tool to “pry” against the inner action walls. Prying this space that I want to stay all “precision’ny” LOL. Just has always made me cringe. Just me...I know they work very well for many, many people. Luckily, I’ve always had the gift of not caring about minor finish wear or scratches. It still cracks me up watching people go full on snowflake over a scratch! HAHAHA! Nope, I’m quite fond of the big-ol honkin’ external action wrench.

Like I said before, the way that works for YOU... is the CORRECT way!

Banned
    they are MACHINED to FIT the bolt head way/groove/slot.
    being FULL LENGTH there is no "pry", it is trying to ROTATE the entire action all at once.
    no twisting. steel, solid steel.
    like an allen wrench in an allen head machine screw...it fits and they rotate.
    but as you say what ever works for you.
    gunsmiths tend to use the internal wrench over the external.;
    more like a tool, than a clamp and pry bar.
    ( as far as "precision’ny" essentially all benchrest rifles/custom action rifles are put together with an internal wrench)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I’ve never been a fan of the internal action wrenches. Just something about using a hardened steel tool to “pry” against the inner action walls. Prying this space that I want to stay all “precision’ny” LOL. Just has always made me cringe. Just me...I know they work very well for many, many people. Luckily, I’ve always had the gift of not caring about minor finish wear or scratches. It still cracks me up watching people go full on snowflake over a scratch! HAHAHA! Nope, I’m quite fond of the big-ol honkin’ external action wrench.

Like I said before, the way that works for YOU... is the CORRECT way!

Banned
    Yes Mike...I’m very familiar with the principle behind it. Thank you. Merely a preference of mine.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinco View Post
    lets start all over.
    how many davidson rear entry action wrenches do you own ??
    ??????????????????

i own 2, one each of the current styles.

here is what happens when you do not KNOW but read (poor) info off the internet.

i just got off the phone with brownells.
    THEY ADMIT THE DESCRIPTION IS WRONG.
    they will get it fixed

port action wrenches are alum and not for removing factory bbls from factory actions;
    rear entry wrenches are STEEL and can be used to remove FACTORY bbls from FACTORY actions.

you have a nice day
    You're right I did not "know" but you seemed to be "in the know" and recommended a source (Brownells), so I go to source which I consider a reputable company, and their description says aluminum not steel which you then dispute. I was actually considering one, but after all this, I'll stick with a barrel vise and barrel nut wrench as my Savages are neither bench rest nor custom action rifles. Thank you very much.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    You're right I did not "know" but you seemed to be "in the know" and recommended a source (Brownells), so I go to source which I consider a reputable company, and their description says aluminum not steel which you then dispute. I was actually considering one, but after all this, I'll stick with a barrel vise and barrel nut wrench as my Savages are neither bench rest nor custom action rifles. Thank you very much.
    Not your fault Phil. You are absolutely correct! Brownells is a trusted vendor. They absolutely should have the correct information! Don’t worry brother...I DO have a custom built, bench rifle, and I didn’t use one of these either!

Banned
    "YEAH but
    my custom built rifle will out shoot your custom built rifle,
    because i used a rear entry wrench to assemble mine!"

lol...could not resist...moving on

lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Not your fault Phil. You are absolutely correct! Brownells is a trusted vendor. They absolutely should have the correct information! Don’t worry brother...I DO have a custom built, bench rifle, and I didn’t use one of these either!

Banned
    Pretty good.... Pretty good Mike. LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12