Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: unscrewing a bbl

  1. #1
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    131

    unscrewing a bbl

    well i took apart another savage nutted action.
    MY RECCOMENDATION
    BUY AN ACTION WRENCH
    bbl in a bbl vice
    savage nut wrench in place, snug not tight.
    ( my opinion is the savage wrench collapses the nut against the bbl threads and makes
    it harder to get off)
    brake the action loose with a breaker bar on the action wrench,
    then unscrew the nut

  2. #2
    Team Savage
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    597
    I never required that much torque...but to each his own. I get by with just a barrel vice and a nut wrench.

  3. #3
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinco View Post
    well i took apart another savage nutted action.
    MY RECCOMENDATION
    BUY AN ACTION WRENCH
    bbl in a bbl vice
    savage nut wrench in place, snug not tight.
    ( my opinion is the savage wrench collapses the nut against the bbl threads and makes
    it harder to get off)
    brake the action loose with a breaker bar on the action wrench,
    then unscrew the nut
    I would agree, breaking the action loose is better than trying to break a factory nut loose:)


    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    131
    i have had ZERO luck trying to loosen a round nut.
    as i said the wrench compresses the od of the nut..the opposite of what you want to loosen a nut.
    once you have it apart, and just firm it up vs torquing it, i would guess you might get it apart.
    i TORQUE all my bbls in place.

    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    I never required that much torque...but to each his own. I get by with just a barrel vice and a nut wrench.

  5. #5
    Team Savage
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    597
    Small pop with a dead blow mallet always works for me. And I torque the nut back on as well to 70 lbs.

  6. #6
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    284
    The distinction here is the round smooth barrel nut.

    To grab it you have to squeeze it. I have that nut wrench along with the standard one and have never been very keen on the smooth nut.

    Three44s

  7. #7
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    The distinction here is the round smooth barrel nut.

    To grab it you have to squeeze it. I have that nut wrench along with the standard one and have never been very keen on the smooth nut.

    Three44s
    True, if you have the aftermarket nuts, they are MUCH easier to grip and turn, if its factory smooth nut for me it's been easier to use barrel vice, action wrench and a smack with a dead blow

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Age
    41
    Posts
    462
    To my knowledge, there is NO aftermarket smooth nut available. To which I can’t understand reusing the smooth nut in a build?? The aftermarket nuts made are machined from billet, to a much higher precision and simply put, are better! That leaves “looks” as the only reason for using a smooth nut.

  9. #9
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    To my knowledge, there is NO aftermarket smooth nut available. To which I can’t understand reusing the smooth nut in a build?? The aftermarket nuts made are machined from billet, to a much higher precision and simply put, are better! That leaves “looks” as the only reason for using a smooth nut.
    Right, I bought my aftermarket from northlandshootersupply.com and love it, I also bought my recoil lug and accutrigger spring from them.. good guys there, jim I believe is his name, really knows his stuff

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Age
    41
    Posts
    462
    Yes, you are correct Ted. THIS is Jim’s forum in fact.

    As for removal, a good “rapp” on the barrel nut wrench has never let me down. One trick is actually a nice clean tap on the wrench in the clockwise direction(yes.., the tightening direction) FIRST! Then loosen the nut. Doing this is an old trick to ANY stuck nut or bolt where corrosion can be an influence.

    Personally, I prefer having an Action wrench, Barrel nut wrench and Barrel vise. This way I have an answer for all walks. The RIGHT way is the one in which the barrel nut loosens. Doesn’t matter how you got there!

  11. #11
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Yes, you are correct Ted. THIS is Jim’s forum in fact.

    As for removal, a good “rapp” on the barrel nut wrench has never let me down. One trick is actually a nice clean tap on the wrench in the clockwise direction(yes.., the tightening direction) FIRST! Then loosen the nut. Doing this is an old trick to ANY stuck nut or bolt where corrosion can be an influence.

    Personally, I prefer having an Action wrench, Barrel nut wrench and Barrel vise. This way I have an answer for all walks. The RIGHT way is the one in which the barrel nut loosens. Doesn’t matter how you got there!
    Really, I had no idea this was his forum, I bought everything from him including my shilen barrel, only thing I didnt get there was my stock


    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Basic Member DesertDug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    418
    A long as you get there without buggering something up.
    I know I have read about people twisting an action or two. Dead blow to nut is the key imho.

  13. #13
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertDug View Post
    A long as you get there without buggering something up.
    I know I have read about people twisting an action or two. Dead blow to nut is the key imho.
    I think twisting the action happens when they put the action wrench on the wrong end of the action instead of the barrel end... that would be a homer simpson moment lmbo.


    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Age
    41
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    Really, I had no idea this was his forum, I bought everything from him including my shilen barrel, only thing I didnt get there was my stock


    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Sorry...said that wrong. Just meant the Forum owner is ALSO a Jim. Jim Baker though. NSS is James Kessler I believe.

  15. #15
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Sorry...said that wrong. Just meant the Forum owner is ALSO a Jim. Jim Baker though.
    Oh lol, no worries :-O

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Age
    36
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinco View Post
    my opinion is the savage wrench collapses the nut against the bbl threads and makes
    it harder to get off
    I have found the same to be true of the action wrench. Every time I have removed and/or installed a barrel, I have noticed once the action wrench is tightened around the receiver, the barrel will no longer thread out. When I install one, I always have to get it in and headspaced, before I tighten the action wrench. And the same thing when removing one. Once the nut is loose, I have to loosen the action wrench before I can remove the barrel from the receiver.
    I have only ever removed 1 smooth barrel nut, and it was just recently. I had to torque the wrench around the nut super tight to keep it from slipping, but it broke loose and spun fine (other than being gritty) after being broke loose, even with the wrench torqued so tight I thought the clamp bolt was going to break.

  17. #17
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    131
    that aint the type of action wrench we are talking about.
    internal , slides in full length front to back, used with a breaker bar off and a torque wrench on.
    (go look in brownells)

    what you are talking about should not be tightened enough to compress the action.
    finger tight with padding to prevent marks should do fine,
    if not relieve the bbl with a cut or cut it off and remove the stub,

    Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    I have found the same to be true of the action wrench. Every time I have removed and/or installed a barrel, I have noticed once the action wrench is tightened around the receiver, the barrel will no longer thread out. When I install one, I always have to get it in and headspaced, before I tighten the action wrench. And the same thing when removing one. Once the nut is loose, I have to loosen the action wrench before I can remove the barrel from the receiver.
    I have only ever removed 1 smooth barrel nut, and it was just recently. I had to torque the wrench around the nut super tight to keep it from slipping, but it broke loose and spun fine (other than being gritty) after being broke loose, even with the wrench torqued so tight I thought the clamp bolt was going to break.

  18. #18
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Age
    36
    Posts
    241
    Mine is the one made by wheeler and is the only type I have ever seen.

  19. #19
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    131
    there are INTERNAL and EXTERNAL action wrenches.
    you have an external, never should be tight for the reason you pointed out
    internal replaces the bolt, a long custom steel bar with a hex on the end for a wrench.
    nothing wrong with external, but they can screw with the finish.
    internal is very simple, put the bbl in a bbl vice, pull the bolt, insert wrench, unscrew
    common in the bench rest world where the bbl is unscrewed and the stock.action and scope are left alone.
    common tool for gunsmiths, or people that build rifles.
    the wrench is unique to a family of actions/bolt styles.

    Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    Mine is the one made by wheeler and is the only type I have ever seen.

  20. #20
    Team Savage
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Easten WA near ID border
    Posts
    181
    Brownells currently only sells the Davidson action wrench for Savage, they are $84, you still need a barrel vise, and Davidson says it's not designed for removing factory installed barrels.

    Davidson Action Wrenches are designed for the switch barrel shooter with a custom built rifle. Manufactured from 7075-T6 aluminum, these tools are not designed to remove factory installed barrels. Action wrenches are used to break the action free from the barrel while the barrel is held in a barrel vise. This allows the shooter to change barrels in a matter of a few minutes.
    IMHO, for the casual user who isn't frequently switching barrels, but is breaking down factory installed barrels, the barrel vise and barrel nut wrench seem to be the most economical solution.

  21. #21
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    131
    only if it WORKS
    in my case it never WORKED.
    I BUILD RIFLES but i am new to savage.
    it you check the articles section there is a bbl vice review...it happens to be the one i use.

    i already had a couple of internal action wrenches, a couple of external action wrenches and a great bbl vice.
    i just needed savage tools.....
    (if you are talking about short loading port wrenches..i agree not for factory dis-assemnly)
    look at REAR ENTRY wrench, vs PORT ENTRY wrench

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Brownells currently only sells the Davidson action wrench for Savage, they are $84, you still need a barrel vise, and Davidson says it's not designed for removing factory installed barrels.



    IMHO, for the casual user who isn't frequently switching barrels, but is breaking down factory installed barrels, the barrel vise and barrel nut wrench seem to be the most economical solution.

  22. #22
    Team Savage
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Easten WA near ID border
    Posts
    181
    It's not a port wrench, it's a rear entry wrench as you describe 749-005-813WB Davidson Rear Entry Action Wrench -Stolle Savage

    Here's the full description from Brownells for the Davidson rear action wrenches...

    Davidson Action Wrenches are designed for the switch barrel shooter with a custom built rifle. Manufactured from 7075-T6 aluminum, these tools are not designed to remove factory installed barrels. Action wrenches are used to break the action free from the barrel while the barrel is held in a barrel vise. This allows the shooter to change barrels in a matter of a few minutes. All rear action wrenches are inserted through the rear of the action and have a 3/4 inch hex end which requires a wrench for turning. Port wrenches are inserted through the action port and are turned by hand. Barrel Vise available separately.
    I read the barrel vise article a few weeks ago.

    And I should add, not here to argue about the tool you're recommending. Brownells may have had a different one in the past, but the only Savage rear entry action wrench they sell today is not meant for breaking down factory installed barrels, which from reading a lot of posts here over the past couple years, is what I read most people here are doing.

    OTM Tactical has a hardened SS rear entry action wrench in stock for $40 that may, or may not, work with factory installed barrels. Someone interested in one can chase that down.

  23. #23
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    131
    my davidson rear entry wrenches are STEEL...DO THEY MAKE TWO TYPES ?

  24. #24
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    131
    my davidson rear entry wrenches are STEEL...DO THEY MAKE TWO TYPES ?

    and you appear to be confused
    THERE IS NO MATERIAL LISTED for the rear action wrenches.
    and while there is a "answer" that says no to factory removal,
    it is not from davidsons...and it is wrong

  25. #25
    Team Savage
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Easten WA near ID border
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinco View Post
    my davidson rear entry wrenches are STEEL...DO THEY MAKE TWO TYPES ?

    and you appear to be confused
    Not at all.

    THERE IS NO MATERIAL LISTED for the rear action wrenches.
    and while there is a "answer" that says no to factory removal,
    it is not from davidsons...and it is wrong
    There most certainly is, and I've quoted it twice, whether you want to accept it, or not, I don't care.

    The description for the Davidson rear entry action wrenches currently sold by Brownells clearly states they are manufactured from 7075-T6 aluminum (that's the "material") and are not meant for breaking down factory installed barrels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •