Thread: Thoughts and fixes.....

Basic Member

Thoughts and fixes.....

I unknowingly bought a .223 Savage centerfeed. I barreled it up with a 17 Remington Shilen barrel. It shoots better than I dreamed. I then bought one of the Cabela’s rifles, which is also a centerfeed. I have come
    to dislike the centerfeed. One of the above has a detachable magazine,the 17 Remington. It refuses to feed and I in turn made it a single shot with a modified follower. The other rifle has a blind magazine that I also used a single shot follower, 17 Fireball.

I have a couple other Savages that are stagger feed and causes me zero issues. Want to feed single
    shot, throw a round in and it eats it.

With all all their models and numbers, is there a way to know if it is a stagger feed or straight feed? A lot of the rifles on GB do not mention one way or the other. It’s just a pain to ask about every one I may be interested in. I am
    guessin the round rear receiver will be a centerfeed?
    thanks
    jeff

Basic Member
    If you want it to feed, you need to cut a feed cone on the chamber mouth. The feed cone needs to be identical to the one on a AR15.
    The center feeds were introduced in late 2005 on certain models, and at the same time stagger feeds were still being produced. As of Jan 2008, all models were center feed, with the .223 and .204 the last calibers that were changed over. Anything with a serial # over G700000 is a sure bet to be center feed.
    The round top rear receiver was introduced about the same time as the accutrigger in 2003, but were still stagger feed.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."