Thread: 110 Apex Predator

110 Apex Predator

I just bought a new 110 apex predator #57356, it's an xp package rifle. I ordered it online so I don't have the rifle in my hands yet but I have a question. What trigger spring comes in this rifle, The standard spring or the varmint/target spring? I like my rifles around 2 lbs and I know the standard spring won't go that low. The varmint spring on the other hand can be adjusted lower, maybe I ought to just order a spring and be done and have it just in case.

Basic Member
    Patience grasshopper......
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

110 Apex Predator

Double post sorry

110 Apex Predator

I thought trimming springs and polishing sears with a buffing drimel tool was standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    There are three springs that are provided with Accu-triggers:
    1) The standard spring I think has a minimum trigger pull of 3.6 lbs. but I don't have any of them.
    2) The Varmint spring comes on the LE/Varmint models and has a minimum setting of 1.5 lbs. (LE stands for Law enforcement (model 10s).
    My last two Varmint models (12 FVs) came from the factory with 1 lb. 9 oz. and 1 lb. 14 oz. trigger pulls.
    I bought a Model 11 VT model with a package scope that came with a varmint trigger. The V in the nomenclature seems to predict it has a Varmint trigger.
    I don't know if the Predator is considered a Varmint model or not. With that name, they actually may consider it to be a Varmint model and in that case would come with the Varmint trigger spring.
    3) The Precision Target spring and sear specifies a minimum setting of 6 oz. comes on only a few models (usually in the 12 series) that specifically indicate that fact on the Savage web site.
    My 12 LRP came with a 10 oz. trigger pull from the factory and had a "Caution: Precision Target Trigger" printed in red on the receiver.
    The receiver on my 12 LRP is also not the standard receiver - it has the left side solid so you can't see the ejection port from the left side of the rifle.

Hope you get the trigger you desire. If not, the springs to get to a Varmint trigger are available.
    There are several threads on this forum that provide more information and links than you will ever need.

Thanks for the replies, I bought 2 varmint springs from gun shack today. 2 of my other Savage's have them installed and they are very nice, this new one will too once it arrives. I've noticed the standard springs are silver color and the varmint are a bronze color, at least the ones I've seen are. All I need is a 2 lb trigger, no more for my usage.

Banned
    There is so much more to a trigger’s performance besides a lighter spring. I can tell you that cutting spring coils and using a Dremel are NOT your friend! Cutting coils from a spring actually INCREASES the spring weight, and does nothing to affect the load. BUT, buy shortening the spring, the PRELOAD induced is lowered thus giving the perception. Reducing the preload is not wise. As for Dremels....eeuuergg! Well, Dremel and precision aren’t known to go together. This is why I stone the surfaces...trigger & sear. In place of the stock spring, I use a 10-32 set screw with a spring of chosen spring rate which provides proper preload. The set screw is adjusted to eliminate overtravel. Lastly, I use a brass washer on each side of the trigger which eliminates side to side slop. I’ve also tried driiling/tapping the trigger & using a set screw under the sear, to play with creep. But currently I don’t use that as the trigger/sear angles are stoned so well, the creep is not noticed.

I don't even check “pull weight”, as I’ve had 4lb triggers, as measured, that I SWORE were 2lb! Trigger feel is the more important aspect.

Basic Member
    Well said Dave Holback, well said!

Three44s

Well just an update on the rifle, I picked it up yeasterday from the FFL. It did come with the varmint spring from the factory set at 2.5 lbs, It still had more adjustment on it and it does drop to 1.5 no problem and I have it set at just under 2 for now. It breaks very clean and crisp and I'm very happy with it. The adjustable LOP is fantastic and I have it on it's shortest setting and it fits me great, the recoil pad is super soft. The 110 camo stock is pretty stiff and no complaints there. The bolt works nice and smooth and the fit and finish on the rifle is very good. My only complaint it the vortex 4-12x44 scope it junk, this is a very low budget package scope and it will not be used on this rifle. The adjustment knobs are very hard to turn and you can tell it's not high quality lenses in it, I don't know why Savage even bothered putting it together as a package. I have a nice Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x40 ready to go on it. Tomorrow is range day.

Banned
    Glad you are happy with the purchase underdog. Good luck and shoot straight! Make sure to report back.

That could double as a truck gun.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.