Thread: Stevens 200 stock question

Stevens 200 stock question

I have a couple Stevens 200's and love them. Both have the double stack blind box magazine. One is .223 and the other is .308 I would like to have a wood stock for the .308 so my question is....what (if any) wood Savage stocks will fit the .308 Stevens 200? I like a plain, simple factory wood stock.

thanks in advance

Team Savage
    The Stevens 200 in .308 should be a SA, center-feed (4.40”) with top bolt release. Any stock for a Savage SA, center-feed, top bolt release, blind or DBM will work with the Stevens 200 SA. When you remove the stock, the blind magazine will stay with the stock if it Is a center-feed.

Basic Member
    The Stevens 200 were made with both magazine configurations. Measure the screw spacing to be sure.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

thanks for the reply. I've had both types of magazines in the 200 and by far the staggered feed is the way to go. I had a lot of trouble feeding ammo in the center feed. If I'm not mistaken the staggered feed was the earlier ones? anyway, I'm on the look out for a wood stock now that I know what to look for.

Basic Member
    I have used boyds for stocks with good results in situations like yours. if you want I can send some pictures. PM your email.

Numrich gun parts corp has listed a nice short action stock with hinged floor plate for model 14 for $65.40...out of stock at moment . in stock model 14 classic stock is $140.

thanks for the heads up lhwahl. I'll keep an eye on that for it to become available. sounds like exactly what I'm wanting

another question.....if I do find a wood stock that's cut out for a hinged floor plate that will fit the 200 what's next? will the existing magazine work? I'm thinking (hoping) the only other part I'll need is the floorplate/trigger guard assembly?

Team Savage
    If you are converting a CF, then you will need a SA, CF, HF magazine frame assembly (surround) and metal trigger guard if you don’t have one already. The stock inlet for the CF, DBM magazine assembly also works for the CF, HF assembly. The current CF magazine box and follower snaps onto the DBM/HF frame assembly. You won’t be able to convert a Stevens 200 If it’s a stagger feed.

thanks or the heads up jpdown. so what you're saying is.....my staggered feed Stevens model 200 in .308 caliber CAN NOT be converted to a DBM or a Hinged Floor Plate? if that's the case I guess my search for a wood stock is over and the search for a new .308 begins. I'll be looking for one with a DBM or a HFP.

Team Savage
    Correct. You won't be able to put a SA, stagger feed into a SA, CF stock. I would look on Numrich for an older hardwood or walnut SA, SF, blind magazine stock. It would be a drop in fit for your Steven 200 SA, SF with sporter barrel. Or as you said, look for a Savage rifle with a HF magazine (ex. Bear Hunter).

actually took a few minutes and called Savage. the fellow told me that an older top bolt release Savage model 10 stock will work for what I'm wanting to do. just need to get the hardware. but in the long view I'm thinking just find another rifle?