Thread: Vista Outdoors sells Savage Brand back to Savage group.

Basic Member

Vista Outdoors sells Savage Brand back to Savage group.

July 8, 2019 Vista Outdoors has sold the Savage Brand back to Savage CEO Al Kasper and an investment group for $158m plus a $12m note due in 5 years.
    http://news.vistaoutdoor.com/2019-07...f-Savage-Brand

Here's an article discussing the sale on Varminter.com http://www.varminter.com/savage-arms...2FOXAhgKHosSMI

Savage was acquired by ATK in 2013 and then in 2015 it was spun off with other brands into the Vista Outdoors brand.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

While it is too soon to speculate, we should keep alert to changes in quality control, products for sale, and price over the coming 12 to 24 months.

That will tell us whether the new (yes, even though the name is as old as dirt) company will be viable.

This company gets bought and sold more than any other company I have ever heard of. I am sure we can expect a new style bolt release and magazine. Seems like they change that every time its sold.

If you read the article over on Accurate Shooter it says the "buyer" is an investment group led by current management at Savage Arms. In other words, Savage Arms bought themselves back from Vista so they're an independently owned company again.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...vista-outdoor/
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Hopefully it will be a positive change and quality won't suffer. Maybe now they'll bring back the chief head logo.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    If you read the article over on Accurate Shooter it says the "buyer" is an investment group led by current management at Savage Arms. In other words, Savage Arms bought themselves back from Vista so they're an independently owned company again.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...vista-outdoor/
    I think it's the "investment group" part that is worrisome. Investment groups are rarely about long term success, and tend more toward short term profits. This could mean another sell off into private ownership in the near future, probably a good thing. But without a large financial backer, it is hard for a fire arms company to ride out the constantly shifting political winds of policy makers, especially in an election year. A big, profitable gov't or military contract would really help their future.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    I think it's the "investment group" part that is worrisome. Investment groups are rarely about long term success, and tend more toward short term profits. This could mean another sell off into private ownership in the near future, probably a good thing. But without a large financial backer, it is hard for a fire arms company to ride out the constantly shifting political winds of policy makers, especially in an election year. A big, profitable gov't or military contract would really help their future.
    How do you think Ron Coburn bought the company in 1990's? With the help of a private group of local investors.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I'll add a positive to private group purchase. The company I worked for in the early 90's ( they made parts for CAT and John Deere) was purchased by four employees, one of them being a shop floor Supervisor. The company is still going under that leadership and has managed to invest and grow the business. I agree that the political & legal situations especially in this business could hurt if not supported properly. Can only hope for positive improvements. I think Vista did a great job and opened up many eyes to a great design of the 110!

Shot an email off to one of my few remaining contacts at Savage Arms with some questions regarding the sale, so we'll see what I hear back.

That was the one downside of the sale of Savage to ATK/Vista - they made it a point that they wanted media types like myself to deal with them (Vista) and not Savage directly. The folks I dealt with were in Minnesota - far removed from Savage, so any time I had a question I had to go through a middle man which made it all but impossible to get answers to follow-up questions or discuss common quality issues raised here with those who could actually do something about it. Hoping this sale will get the communication lines opened up again as they were in the Ron Coburn era.

Team Savage

I'm far more comfortable with "a management led buyout to a group of investors headed by Al Kasper, the president and CEO of Savage" than I am with some conglomerate not really interested in protecting the Savage brand.

Hoping this sale will get the communication lines opened up again as they were in the Ron Coburn era.
    Years ago I had a stainless Savage 223. Bought a BVSS stock online. Got the stock an decided I wanted a heavy stainless fluted barrel to go with it. Called Savage. Told them what I wanted. Got reconnected with "the man" himself and he began to ask me questions about my experiences with Savage arms. Finally he told me how to send my barreled action to Savage. Got it back with the new barrel in a few weeks. Did not know who Ron Coburn was until a few days later. I was impressed that he took the time to find out my opinions.

I second that motion about bringing back the chief.