Thread: Savage bolt... (Pic Heavy)

Basic Member

Savage bolt... (Pic Heavy)

Good afternoon, I wanted to share some info & pics on a project I’ve been working on. I’ve been a TC Contender & Encore shooter for over 25 years. Never played with the bolt pistol world. This was a project to see how much I would like the platform. As it has turned out I love it and will begin working on a virgin Savage 10 pistol build in 6.5 Grendel.

I took a Savage 12fv in 223 that I had to Shultz Precision Rifles (he’s very local to me and done great work for me). JR cut the barrel to 17” and threaded the barrel for me. I then started the work on the Choate Ultimate Varmit stock, cut it down with a hack saw and began the dremel/sanding work. Dremel’ed the rough parts and then started on the belt sander getting the final shape I wanted, then the final sanding. I started with 220 grit and worked down to 800 grit. I got a 3D printed single shot sled from “andrewsben” over on accurate shooters forums, he sells them on eBay. He’s printed me a bright orange sled that is sand to fit your stock inletting blind magazine, and fitting was super smooth and easy. It’s a large setup with the long barrel, but this was a very economical way for me to try the bolt pistol route. Hoping to head to the range this week and see how it shoots, mostly as a bench toy from bipod/sand bags but may use it hunting some ground hogs and coyotes on the local farms. Here’s some pics of the process...

Cutting...

Dremel work...

Fitting/testing the feel...

Final shaping after belt sander and hand sanding...

Single shot sled installed...

Finished pics with Bushnell Elite Tactical 10x40mm scope on top...

Basic Member
    That's interesting. I don't know if something like that is legal where I live, although having the barrel over 16" will certainly be helpful. Besides, where I live, there's all kinds of stuff that would be cool to do that are illegal. California sucks that way.

I am aware that people often go from XP100 pistol to rifle. I have a couple of them, myself, but that's going the other way. It was a popular conversion in benchrest competition a few decades back.

I won't tell, I promise

Basic Member
    Well per ATF definition it is still a rifle, the barrel is over 16 inches and the overall length is over 26 inches. State laws may of course vary wildly as you mentioned.

Basic Member
    That is funny as hell...but I like it! You going to handload for it?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cknight814 View Post
    Well per ATF definition it is still a rifle, the barrel is over 16 inches and the overall length is over 26 inches. State laws may of course vary wildly as you mentioned.
    Well, there you go, then. Shoot it in good health.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    That is funny as hell...but I like it! You going to handload for it?
    It is a bit large compared to my Contenders/Encores, but I really like it. Lots of the specialty bolt pistol guys run 15-17” barrels typically anyways and it’s not much bigger than a rear grip xp100 in factory form. I may hand load for it but 223 is cheap enough that I usually don’t waste the time. This was just the most economical way for me to play with a bolt pistol setup...