Thread: Rattlecan Rembrant?

Rattlecan Rembrant?

Got my Grayboe stock back from Fred last week - had him add an adjustable comb and glass bed it, and decided to give it a little color.

Before Pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02234.JPG 
Views:	299 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	6190

After Pic.

Name:	DSC02376.JPG 
Views:	309 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	6192
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member

Design is similar to one of my Axis from couple years ago. Used rubber to line drawers as pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Just noticed the flag in your picture, got one of those also when I retired from Pine Bluff Arsenal after 29 years.

That looks great. What was the netting mask you used Jim?

I Like it :)
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Team Savage

Looks good Jim!

Just a packet of mesh fabric I picked up at Hobby Lobby for a couple bucks.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Fabric-Se...ric/p/80898683
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Got my Grayboe stock back from Fred last week - had him add an adjustable comb and glass bed it, and decided to give it a little color.

Before Pic.

Name:	DSC02234.JPG 
Views:	299 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	6190

After Pic.

Name:	DSC02376.JPG 
Views:	309 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	6192

Jim, did that stock come from the Grayboe factory as a lefty or has it been modified?

I bought it through Red Hawk Rifles, they're the only outfit I could find offering LH Grayboe stocks.

Having purchased this one, I have to say I'm not super impressed by it. It has a lot of flex in the forearm and the pocket for the recoil lug is excessively wide (front to back). Glass bedding the lug area helped a tad bit with the flex, but knowing what I know now I'd recommend spending a little more for a McMillan.

Basic Member
    I bought it through Red Hawk Rifles, they're the only outfit I could find offering LH Grayboe stocks.

Having purchased this one, I have to say I'm not super impressed by it. It has a lot of flex in the forearm and the pocket for the recoil lug is excessively wide (front to back). Glass bedding the lug area helped a tad bit with the flex, but knowing what I know now I'd recommend spending a little more for a McMillan.
    I'm assuming that's a Remington 700. How do you like the Remington action compared to the Savages? I have been tempted to try one but I keep bringing home more Savages.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2905 View Post
    I'm assuming that's a Remington 700. How do you like the Remington action compared to the Savages? I have been tempted to try one but I keep bringing home more Savages.
    It's an ARC Nucleus action which has a Rem 700 footprint. I wanted an action with more reliable controlled-round feed and a less stiff bolt lift, but after some light strike issues and having to get a heavier firing pin spring the bolt lift on the Nucleus is almost as heavy as a factory Savage. Hindsight being what it is, if I were buying today knowing what I know now I'd go with a BigHorn TL3 - especially since today I wouldn't get the pre-order discount I got on the Nucleus when I purchased it so the price difference would only be $100.

Basic Member
    It's an ARC Nucleus action which has a Rem 700 footprint. I wanted an action with more reliable controlled-round feed and a less stiff bolt lift, but after some light strike issues and having to get a heavier firing pin spring the bolt lift on the Nucleus is almost as heavy as a factory Savage. Hindsight being what it is, if I were buying today knowing what I know now I'd go with a BigHorn TL3 - especially since today I wouldn't get the pre-order discount I got on the Nucleus when I purchased it so the price difference would only be $100.
    With this hobby, it's difficult, if not impossible, to test drive expensive stuff before you plunk down hundreds or thousands of dollars.

Basic Member
    If one doesn't require controlled-round feed and does primarily long range shooting from a bench, do you think that the ARC or Bighorn actions offer any advantage or improvement over a trued Remington 700 action for the added cost? Always looking to try new things and have been considering adding a Remington to my collection some day.

For what you can buy a Remington 700 action for these days I would say probably not. The big benefit of the aftermarket actions mentioned is that they accept Savage pre-fit barrels, but you can get Rem-Age barrels from a couple of places now so that's not as big a deal as it used to be if you don't have access to someone install and headspace a standard shouldered barrel for you.

Another good thing about customs like Bighorn is that the have parts that help with trigger timing to reduce the amount of cock on close.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I need to do something similar to my stainless coyote rifle that looks great

Basic Member
    Nice job.