Thread: Savage 12FV New Chassis/Stock Suggestion

Basic Member

Savage 12FV New Chassis/Stock Suggestion

I have a Savage 12FV rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I purchased a budget chassis which I like for $400. (https://oryxchassis.com/) Aluminum one piece chassis.

Looking to get a different "budget" chassis for Savage 12FV in .223. It is top feed so looking to use magazines such as the set up above. It is top bolt release. Not using it for hunting, just for shooting on bench and prone (well, will begin prone). Trying to buy the same chassis as want a different style for this one. Open to suggestions. Have spent some time looking at many other options. But they are above the $800 price tag and just don't have the option to spend this much on a chassis.

Thanks for the help in advanced.

Basic Member
    If you have an ORYX chassis and like it,why not get another,I recently got one for my 6 creedmoor and love it,If you are looking for something that costs less,check out BOYDS AT-ONE stock,they are $189.50,they do need to be pillar bedded.I have one for my Krieger barreled 12 fv in 204 ruger,after epoxing Savage steel pillars in it $ 14.95,[stockys stocks]i epoxied action.I like the adjustable checkpiece and length of pull

Basic Member
    I lucked into an HS Precision with bottom metal for a 4.4" bolt spacing for a song... The stock is relatively light and well balanced. It is an outstanding base for the platform...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by varget204 View Post
    If you have an ORYX chassis and like it,why not get another,I recently got one for my 6 creedmoor and love it,If you are looking for something that costs less,check out BOYDS AT-ONE stock,they are $189.50,they do need to be pillar bedded.I have one for my Krieger barreled 12 fv in 204 ruger,after epoxing Savage steel pillars in it $ 14.95,[stockys stocks]i epoxied action.I like the adjustable checkpiece and length of pull
    thats a game changer... a bit of epoxy and some steel pillars and that's a great setup...

thanks for the info!

Basic Member
    I have my 12FV 6.5 creedmore sitting in an XLR Element chassis and I really love it I've had MDT in the past and much prefer the XLR over it

Basic Member
    If you're considering non chassis options, I also have had experience with the Choate Ultimate Varmint stock on my 12FV 223 & I really like it a lot. I currently have modified it for a bolt pistol build and it is great in that role also. If you call Choate and ask about their blemished stocks, you can get the Ultimate Varmint for $125 plus shipping. This is an excellent stock that is often over looked in my opinion

I know you want a chassis but if you are open to a laminated stock ... look at Sharp Shooters Supply.
    I had the LVT stock on the 12FV 6.5CM...loved it, just moved to a full custom bench gun. I have it for sale in the classifieds.

Basic Member
    "Budget" and "Chassis" rarely go hand in hand...hence the love for Oryx these days. Get another one and paint the plastic a different color with some Krylon.

Attachment 6230

Basic Member
    I put a 12FV into one of these https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Thumbho...k_p_14233.html

It's pillar bedded and ready to go. I bedded mine with devcon anyway, but it shot very will right out of the box.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

I prefer wood stocks but my very good friend makes these and other gun parts. Looks like pricing would be just a little more than ORYX

http://www.bestdamngun.com/category-s/107.htm

Manufacturing gun parts are all this family does and they aim to please.

Quote Originally Posted by cknight814 View Post
    I have my 12FV 6.5 creedmore sitting in an XLR Element chassis and I really love it I've had MDT in the past and much prefer the XLR over it
    Curious as to why you prefer the XLR compared to the MDT? I've been contemplating both and am on the fence on which way to go.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G22inSC View Post
    Curious as to why you prefer the XLR compared to the MDT? I've been contemplating both and am on the fence on which way to go.
    Honestly I just like the lines and look of the xlr better. It sits on my sandbags better that the MDT does. The MDT isn’t bad by any means, I just like the xlr better. The wide flat forend area on the xlr is about perfect for me

I like the XRL as well. Envy. They are releasing an even lighter one directed at the hunter's market. my 12fv in the xlr weighs in at 10 lbs-ish.
    If you keep your eye out they sometimes have some good sales.

Just an update...I picked up an XLR Element and absolutely love it so far. Can't beat it, especially for the price.

Basic Member
    What model of savage did you drop into this chassis

Quote Originally Posted by G22inSC View Post
    Rigidity.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.