Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Savage sell just a barrel?

I just want the factory matte blue finish to match the receiver.
    How odd! I have the same affliction. Since we are not related it is probably some sort epigenetic thing.

I recently put a 243 barrel from a Stevens 200 on a Savage 10. The matte on the Savage 10 did not match the "sorta grayish" matte from the Stevens. So! What to do? I got out my can of Rust Oleum flat black and sprayed. After a day of curing I got out my can of Minwax "satin polyurethane" spray and sprayed again. Now everything matches and it looks great. Once it "cures" for a few days the finish is fairly stable also. Is this wrong?

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    Nah, the "Axis" label doesn't matter to me. I just want the factory matte blue finish to match the receiver. It's not a huge deal, but if I'm going to give the rifle to a grandkid someday, I don't want it to look like a hack job and it would be nice if the caliber roll stamp was visible so nobody does anything stupid long after I'm gone, or I do it myself once my memory starts to slip! LOL

I think I'll just buy a youth Axis, rob the barrel and throw an inexpensive .243 barrel on it and give it to a nephew or niece (seeing as I don't have any grandkids yet!)
    It seems Savage factory barrels are not as plentiful in the classified section as once upon a time. I see more Savage take-off sporter barrels listed on Ebay these days. I have bought several Savage TH rifles over the years to get a Savage factory sporter barrel. Then sell the action in the classified section on this site or GunBroker. Going this route was the easiest and cheapest way to get a Savage 20 inch factory sporter barrel with matte or SS finish. In the last 15 years I've worked up loads for dozens of different caliber Savage factory sporter barrels. They all shot sub-MOA with handloads. I'll admit, custom barrels are a whole lot easier to clean-up than Savage factory barrels.

I see more Savage take-off sporter barrels listed on Ebay these days.
    Yep.

Team Savage
    Well, I pulled the trigger on a Savage Axis youth model 7mm-08 with the 20" barrel. $285 shipped to my LGS. I'll pull the barrel, slap on the 6.5 CM Axis barrel that I'm using right now, and it will make the perfect little deer-getter for a CM fan who needs a rifle for their kid. I figure I can sell it for $200 and still come out way ahead, or just give it to a niece or nephew for their birthday.

And yes, I do expect that 20" Axis 7mm-08 barrel to shoot sub-MOA, but only because every single Savage barrel I've ever owned, has.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    That’s a new one on me. I can think of several things that will increase accuracy potential over replacing the barrel. And I’ve come into contact with several STOCK barrel Savages that were Sub MOA shooters. Of course it’s an objective opinion, and you are welcome to yours. But IMHO, recommending that barrel replacement should be FIRST is simply NOT sound advice. This is of course, given one’s disposable income is a finite source. If money is no object, go mashugana!
    Yep, I have a 110FP in 308W that will stack 175gr SMK's one right on top of another using 40 gr of IMR 4064. When I bought it it had that crappy plastic stock and you couldn't hit the side of a barn with it. Changed the stock to a Choate Varminter and she is a serious contender now. It did take a couple thousand bullets down the tube before it stopped coppering up on me though. Still, even with that rough factory barrel it shoots great. Barrels on mass produced rifles are basically the luck of the draw.These days though good shooting barrels are much more common than not.

Team Savage
    "cheap" 20" Axis compact 7mm-08 barrel shoots great. First rattle out of the box, during break-in process, was 2" at 200 yards with a 2-7x scope and no load development. In my experience with Savage barrels, that will only get better over time. All my Savage barrels have shot their best after 100-150 rounds through the tube.

Timing didn't line up perfectly but the roll stamp fell halfway between it's normal position and straight-up 12-o'clock, which I can live with.

I've used several Axis barrels on both Axis and Model 10/11/12 actions and the roll stamp has always lined up either where it should, or somewhere between there and 12 o'clock. It's pretty remarkable how consistent they are. Put on several Axis actions, every barrel has lined up almost exactly where it should. That's good QC if you ask me.

So now I'm back to one brass prep for my two primary hunting rifles - a stainless Tikka T3 7mm-08 for the mountains (and my elk load that seats 162 ELD-X's at 2.90") and my Savage model 10/Axis barrel/LWH stock hybrid in 7mm-08 for whitetails and pigs. I'll be running 130 grain Speers and 139 grain SST's through it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12